Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Injury Updates

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    To those who have attended this event.....is there even air conditioning in that facility?? That was a major issue with Maui as well until the gym underwent renovation. If you have zero air conditioning, you're going to have court issues.
    haven't been to this event but have been to Bahamas .....all places have AC....humidity is ball buster in summer Winter not as bad.

They wouldn't be able to play without AC In the Bahamas, it would be like a ice rink!
    Remember the game a few years ago against Pitt in Okinowa, floor was so bad had to cancel the game! The only good thing that came out of that trip was recruiting Rui!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    haven't been to this event but have been to Bahamas .....all places have AC....humidity is ball buster in summer Winter not as bad.
    I am watching Michigan stomp UNC and the floor and humidity and temperature are just fine...there were some issues yesterday but none today. Note: as I posted this Michigan player slipped...
    Last edited by GeorgiaZagFan; 11-28-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Update
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

...UNC is having a hard time when Cole Anthony is off..

This post appeared on "Slipper Still Fits" site a few minutes ago. Have no idea if this is true or not, but passing it along.

pre-game radio just teased "pretty good news" re injuries, fingers crossed
    Posted by zagnutz on Nov 28, 2019 | 12:02 PM
    Watson out, sprained ankle - but not too bad
    Tilliie playing, could be limited minutes, Gilder and Woolridge good to go

Posted by zagnutz on Nov 28, 2019 | 12:05 PM
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    ...UNC is having a hard time when Cole Anthony is off..
    Cole is Austin Rivers 2.0. Good but not as good as he and Dad think. Brat.

Totally agree Jazz ! Spent more time complaining to refs than playing.

Heard Watson was is walking boot on sideline

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Heard Watson was is walking boot on sideline
    Yes, it was clearly visible on tv coverage.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Unfortunately I think this thread will be up on page one til March.

From Jim Meehan's "Zags Rewind" feature:

The Zags have a short break before entertaining Texas Southern on Wednesday. They certainly can use it after playing three games in fewer than three days in the Bahamas.

Killian Tillie sat out the Battle 4 Atlantis opener with swelling in his surgically repaired knee. Anton Watson suffered an ankle injury in the first minute. Admon Gilder and Ryan Woolridge exited in the second half with knee ailments.

Watson sat out the remainder of the tournament, watching from the bench with his foot in a boot. Gilder was limited to 40 of 85 possible minutes in the final two games, while Woolridge logged 73.

Tillie played 53 minutes in the last two games. He was particularly effective in the second half against Michigan and finished with 20 points.

“It’s going to be crucial the next couple days to rest our bodies and just focus on that and be ready for the next game,” Tillie said. “It was a tough three days for the team, but the next three days will be good for our bodies.”
    LINK: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...in-national-p/

The same column also includes a recap of GU's recent holiday tournament outcomes and the corresponding results come NCAA tournament time.

Between Blanchette & Meehan, the S-R does a very good job covering Zags MBB season after season.

They said on ESPN that Watson has a high ankle sprain. They referred to it as "the good kind." I don't know if it will be possible, but it would nice to get him back for some run against Texas Southern before the big game at UW. I'd hate to throw him to the wolves like that, but they have to be careful. I think his absence in the Bahamas was felt, and not just in the Michigan loss. He brings things offensively and especially defensively that the other bigs in the rotation do not.

They said on ESPN that Watson has a high ankle sprain. They referred to it as "the good kind." I don't know if it will be possible, but it would nice to get him back for some run against Texas Southern before the big game at UW. I'd hate to throw him to the wolves like that, but they have to be careful. I think his absence in the Bahamas was felt, and not just in the Michigan loss. He brings things offensively and especially defensively that the other bigs in the rotation do not.
    The only positive thoughts on this is hopfully when he returns the shoulder is healthy. I want to see him play with the big boys healthy to see his true ability as freshman. Hopfully he's engaging on defence and offence. He is effective at leading the press. I'd like to see him step it up on the other facets of the game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No one knows exactly what the timetable for Anton Watson is but on “The Mark Few Show” a couple nights ago, Coach Few said his ankle injury is a fairly serious one.
    SOURCE: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...Hbict9gEF9JCQs

I'm guessing "the good kind" is one that didn't require a fixation screw. Russell Wilson was hobbled with a high ankle sprain a few seasons ago and was being woken up in the middle of the night for rehab. I doubt they do anything that crazy with it.

From UpToDate (link requires login):
    Recovery from a high ankle sprain takes two to four times as long as the more common lateral ankle sprain. Return to work or play generally requires two to nine weeks for conservatively treated grade 1 high ankle sprains, depending upon the severity of injury, compliance with physical therapy, and other factors [8-10,19,42,52-54]. Overall, a high percentage of athletes are able to return to their previous level of play [55].

According to a retrospective study of foot and ankle injuries among collegiate American football players using a national database, the average time needed to return to play (RTP) was 12.0 days in players with partial tears (grade 1 injury) [3]. In a prospective study of 20 Division I American collegiate football players with clinically diagnosed, stable, high ankle sprains, the mean time for RTP was 15.5 days (range 2 to 30 days) [56]. If ultrasound showed an intact AITFL, RTP averaged 3.3 days; if ultrasound showed a ruptured AITFL, RTP averaged 19 days. Length of tenderness along the interosseous membrane (IOM) also correlated with RTP, with players whose tenderness extended more proximally requiring more time before RTP.
    (Emphasis added)

Lots of variables there, to be sure...

Having a "fixation screw" put into your ankle sounds, well, very painful.

Not so bad as long as you don't dwell on it.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by stevet75 View Post
    Not so bad as long as you don't dwell on it.
    Well played

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Cool

Is that where the expression, "I've been screwed!" comes from?

Any updates on Gilder or Watson? For the latter, how is his shoulder? Has that healed up while he has been recovering from the ankle injury?

Anton has the shoulder and the ankle as problems.
    we may not get him 100% this season, but I hope his health will surmount the odds.
    Coach started him from day one, so that tells me his value when he is 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    we may not get him 100% this season, but I hope his health will surmount the odds.
    The ankle will be 100% or close to it by New Years or so. Usually 3-6 weeks for higher grade sprains, all depends on the person in terms of pain response. It wasn't high ankle involvenent, so likely no lingering pain, although chance of re injury increases with every sprain, tear/stretch of ligaments.

To be honest, his shoulder won't be 100% until he can dedicate around 3+ months of near daily rehab/strength training and/or surgery at this point.

He is probably pain-free at this point, yet the joint, labrum, & surrounding tissue has been loosened. No coming back from ball n socket dislocations. You can certainly secure and tighten the muscles with appropriate rehab, yet takes time, consistent effort, & tightening those fibers over a course of months. That shoulder is unstable and will likely move again if in a vulnerable position, such as abduction for any reason or sudden movements. It usually requires luck, extensive rehab, or surgery for shoulders to remain stable, not sublux or dislocate again esp in high lvl athletes.

A good chance Anton wont have any more problems with the ankle again, as running/walking is a consistent and natural form of rehab to strengthen joint.

Shoulders, not so much. It is quite likely he will face more issues with it this season until he can focus on repairing or focused rehab in the off season.

Just the way it is with these type of injuries.

I'm crossing my fingers on his shoulder, yet have little to no worry over his ankle going fwd.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Tillie is back as the starter now.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    The ankle will be 100% or close to it by New Years or so. Usually 3-6 weeks for higher grade sprains, all depends on the person in terms of pain response. It wasn't high ankle involvenent, so likely no lingering pain, although chance of re injury increases with every sprain, tear/stretch of ligaments.

To be honest, his shoulder won't be 100% until he can dedicate around 3+ months of near daily rehab/strength training and/or surgery at this point.

He is probably pain-free at this point, yet the joint, labrum, & surrounding tissue has been loosened. No coming back from ball n socket dislocations. You can certainly secure and tighten the muscles with appropriate rehab, yet takes time, consistent effort, & tightening those fibers over a course of months. That shoulder is unstable and will likely move again if in a vulnerable position, such as abduction for any reason or sudden movements. It usually requires luck, extensive rehab, or surgery for shoulders to remain stable, not sublux or dislocate again esp in high lvl athletes.

A good chance Anton wont have any more problems with the ankle again, as running/walking is a consistent and natural form of rehab to strengthen joint.

Shoulders, not so much. It is quite likely he will face more issues with it this season until he can focus on repairing or focused rehab in the off season.

Just the way it is with these type of injuries.

I'm crossing my fingers on his shoulder, yet have little to no worry over his ankle going fwd.
    Posted before the Zona game. Maybe time to consider shutting him down?

Watson shoulder popped out a couple times in 1st half yesterday, Tillie with a sprained left ankle late in the game.

He had surgery on his right ankle to repair a stress fracture, yet sprained his left ankle in his first NBA workout last season.

This was his left ankle and seemed minor since he returned to the bench shortly after exiting.

Sometimes you never know til the next morning with ankles.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    "Incredible a journalist hasn't dug up the Ravet story yet."

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Larsen.......
    If you follow Larsen on IG, I’d say it’s pretty easy to figure out.