Thread: College Station After Action Report from TZF

Default College Station After Action Report from TZF

What a memorable trip!!!

It was my first trip to College Station, aka Aggieland. I've never seen so much maroon in my life. Kudos to Bob Finn and the Houston Chapter for arranging the pregame social. There must have been at least 50 in attendance...a really good showing. That's two years in a row, as the Creighton pregame festivities was also well attended. Joining me in the traveling party were my wife, youngest son and of course, my grandson "Big D".

Reed Arena has a capacity of just under 13,000, and the announced attendance was just under 9,000. There were a few factors that may have dampened enthusiasm for the game. Their last home game was the following day, and the mood was dampened by the 20th anniversary of the bonfire tragedy. Still, it was by far their best crowd of the young season (their first two games were against cupcakes).

We had really good seats, in the section across from the Zag bench, about 15 rows up. The fans in attendance were into it at the beginning, and maintained a good level of intensity throughout.

Our struggles during the first five minutes were what you might expect from the first road game of the season. Our three players from Texas had dozens of family members and friends in the stands, a fantastic show of support...and a great introduction to the family nature of Zag basketball.

From the 11 minute mark of the first half to the 2 minute mark, we simply ripped out their collective hearts. The rebounding edge in the first half was 26-12, and they missed 16 of their first 17 3 point attempts.

I challenge any of our future opponents to find an answer to the challenges posed by Joel Ayayi. The young man was everywhere, and was usually in the right place at the right time. It was a joy to see him in action, I think I've been waiting to see this level of play since he committed to GU. I'll never forget the day he signed...I'd never heard of him, but he was well known to my son and his buddies at high school. Gonzaga became a brand at Coppell High School that day.

IMO, the Aggies' offensive woes can be laid at their excessive tendency to dribble the ball. There was relatively no ball movement, just dribbling the ball around until there was only a few seconds left on the clock. Despite our turnovers, I was blown away at our ball movement, the passing, the sharing the ball, looking for and finding the open man...this, from a team that featured several new players in the rotation.

I thought our second half was pretty sloppy, nothing to write home about. However, the lead was extended to 30 by the closing buzzer, and the Aggies never made a serious attempt to close the gap. Their response to the physicality of Power 5 basketball was a challenge they easily handled. Except for a couple of teams, we won't see this when we enter conference play. It took nearly 11 minutes before a foul was called on the Aggies in the second half, but it didn't cause a ripple. The bumps and bruises we endured have been discussed already, so I won't belabor it.

I'm liking this team, and like bart, I'm drinking the Kool Aid. Our 3 guard rotation is going to cause havoc for opposing teams with their quickness and agility. Our bigs are young, but very talented. My prayer is that Killian returns to full health, enough for an NBA team to draft him next spring. Corey will bounce back, it was a good game to get rid of his bad one for the year.

We went into the belly of a beast of a university that has over 65,000 students, and millions of fans and alumni. Gonzaga left its mark on College Station, one they won't soon forget.

IIRC, Drew Timme chose us, and his second choice was Texas A&M. It was easy to see the advantages posed by A&M: it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from his home, it's a great university with resources far beyond what GU can offer, and he'd be playing in a power conference and all that entails. Instead, he chose Gonzaga and he's loving every minute of it, as are his parents.

Ok, time to move on to the post game festivities...

It was heartwarming to see all of the friends and family that Drew, Admon, and Ryan had in attendance. Drew must have had a couple of dozen friends from Richardson at the game, he was absolutely swarmed after the game. I had the chance to meet his parents, Matt and Megan, two very friendly and classy people. BTW, Megan DOES follow the GU Board! Hi Megan! Other family members proudly wore their "Gonzaga Mom", "Gonzaga Aunt", "Gonzaga Dad", etc. shirts. They just about sold out Section 125.

After several minutes a few other players came out to the court, lead by none other than Corey. That he remembered his time with "Big D" two years ago simply floored me. When I suggested he got his "stinker of the year" out of his system, he laughed and said "there better not be anymore."

Was able to spend a few moments with Ryan, where I offered my mea culpa for my comments regarding moments where he seemed "a bit out of control". He really played well against the Aggies. He and my daughter have one thing in common, they're both graduates of UNT.

When Killian arrived on the scene, Dillon's eyes widened...Killian's been his favorite Zag forever, and he was disappointed he wasn't on campus two summers ago during our visit. I held out hope that we'd be able to see him, and this was the moment.

I have no doubt this picture will be on a coffee cup I get for this Christmas! It's become a tradition that Dillon gives me a coffee cup adorned with pictures from significant moments of that year. When I pass on, he'll have these to remember me by. With the arrival of grandchild #2 next July, I'll be expecting the same next year.

We enjoyed meeting the players, all impressive young men. I'll leave the criticisms of their play to others on this Board...you won't get a peep from me in that regard. I have their backs, much in the same way I feel about by nieces and nephews (I'm the crazy uncle in the family BTW). I never expect them to be saints, but I appreciate how well they represent my alma mater, and the opportunities they give all of us to enjoy being a Zag.

can't help but notice that tillie's icing his knee even though he didn't play...must still be some swelling going on.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    When Killian arrived on the scene, Dillon's eyes widened...Killian's been his favorite Zag forever, and he was disappointed he wasn't on campus two summers ago during our visit. I held out hope that we'd be able to see him, and this was the moment.

I have no doubt this picture will be on a coffee cup I get for this Christmas! It's become a tradition that Dillon gives me a coffee cup adorned with pictures from significant moments of that year. When I pass on, he'll have these to remember me by. With the arrival of grandchild #2 next July, I'll be expecting the same next year.

We enjoyed meeting the players, all impressive young men. I'll leave the criticisms of their play to others on this Board...you won't get a peep from me in that regard. I have their backs, much in the same way I feel about by nieces and nephews (I'm the crazy uncle in the family BTW). I never expect them to be saints, but I appreciate how well they represent my alma mater, and the opportunities they give all of us to enjoy being a Zag.
    THANK YOU for taking the time to post all these wonderful pictures! I miss going to away games and these make me feel if I was there in person...

My wife, who is a UM (Go Blue) Post Grad, relishes her picture with PK and is an absolute "nut" when she watches GU games. Oh, she almost never watches UM!

Again, THANKS for posting! May "Big D" continue to give you cups for Christmas for many years to come!!!

Thank you, TZF, for sharing such a great Zags game experience. Your grandson looks super happy. What a fantastic trip.

just seeing the players immediately after the game, as people not players, along with your comments about having their backs no matter what, really hit home. Good to see the players and families firsthand. Thanks for all the great pics.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Gonna have to consider modifying "Big" D to "Giant" D .... kid has grown since I saw him last in Nashville.

Link to Big D's coming out party (when he brought the jam packed Bridgestone Arena to it's collective feet)
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...emy-Lines-quot

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Tex, thanks so much. What wonderful, warm, personable young men, including yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Gonna have to consider modifying "Big" D to "Giant" D .... kid has grown since I saw him last in Nashville.

Link to Big D's coming out party (when he brought the jam packed Bridgestone Arena to it's collective feet)
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...emy-Lines-quot
    Thanks for posting the link to a surefire Hall of Fame thread. Brought back great memories of a great game and a great trip...my first road trip with "my boys", both sons and grandson on an "guys only" trip. Nashville will never be the same.

This pic's for you, GZ! It was taken two summers ago during our visit there.

This photo has been the wallpaper on my iPhone for the past several months. It gets a "wow!!" from those I show it to.

Thanks for posting the link to a surefire Hall of Fame thread. Brought back great memories of a great game and a great trip...my first road trip with "my boys", both sons and grandson on an "guys only" trip. Nashville will never be the same.

This pic's for you, GZ! It was taken two summers ago during our visit there.

This photo has been the wallpaper on my iPhone for the past several months. It gets a "wow!!" from those I show it to.

That is a great pair of photos.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Thanks for sharing TZF.

Well Done.

That was awesome that you got to meet some of the Zags players. Your grandson is adorable, and he's rocking the Dallas Mavericks hoodie which is very cool. I was about his age when I first started following pro and college hoop.
    UNITED WE ZAG !!

After several minutes a few other players came out to the court, lead by none other than Corey. That he remembered his time with "Big D" two years ago simply floored me. When I suggested he got his "stinker of the year" out of his system, he laughed and said "there better not be anymore."

Great pics, Tex. That's so cool that he remembered that time you and Big D had with him. I know my boys will always have their memories of playing with Corey and Jesse Wade from that night. Speaking of Wade, I looked at BYU's stats and he hasn't played yet this year. Anyone know if he's injured?
    Last edited by NotoriousZ; 11-17-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

TZF, what a great example you set for all of us fans. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Larryzag View Post
    TZF, what a great example you set for all of us fans. Thank you
    I don't know about that, but thanks. The security guard wasn't very impressed with my groveling plea to Killian for a picture with Dillon.

There was no way Killian was going to leave the building without it! That's what parents (and grandparents) do for their kids/grandkids.

Thanks a million, TexasZagFan. What a wonderful/beautiful post and pictures to go with it. I love hearing from fans who went to an away game and come back to GUBoards to report on their experiences. It's one thing that makes this such a fantastic place to come to. Your writing is terrific, and gives me a much clearer picture of our new players. I love what you wrote about Ayayi, who (like you) have been waiting to see him play in an extended role since I first saw him on the team. There has always been something about him that has caught my attention the way it has. His smile of course, his height and agility, and his love for the game. Again, thank you.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Thanks a million, TexasZagFan. What a wonderful/beautiful post and pictures to go with it. I love hearing from fans who went to an away game and come back to GUBoards to report on their experiences. It's one thing that makes this such a fantastic place to come to. Your writing is terrific, and gives me a much clearer picture of our new players. I love what you wrote about Ayayi, who (like you) have been waiting to see him play in an extended role since I first saw him on the team. There has always been something about him that has caught my attention the way it has. His smile of course, his height and agility, and his love for the game. Again, thank you.

Go Zags!!!
    I brought a big smile to Joel's face when I told him of the large following he has at Coppell HS. I'll never forget the day he signed his LOI. I had no idea who he was, but when I mentioned his name to my son, his response was thunderous. These kids follow hoops intensely, and he was a known commodity with them.

O/T, I spoke German well as my tour in Germany progressed, but I never imagined matriculating at a German university. I'm floored by the academic success our foreign students have enjoyed at GU.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Great pics, Tex. That's so cool that he remembered that time you and Big D had with him. I know my boys will always have their memories of playing with Corey and Jesse Wade from that night. Speaking of Wade, I looked at BYU's stats and he hasn't played yet this year. Anyone know if he's injured?
    Yes, Jesse is injured. Escapes me now, but I believe it is a knee.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Thanks so much, TZF. Glad you had a good time.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Good stuff, thanks!!!

Tex. Wow! This is beyond words. For the rest of your life you’ll remember these events. So will Big D! NIce job my friend!

Thank you for sharing!! Great pictures!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    Love the zags for life