• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Joel Ayayi and Anton Watson

Gonzaga is a better team with Ayayi on the floor. Full stop.

I’m super impressed with Anton Watson. I would love to see him become a bit more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball. I think he’s already our best passer, especially that high to low post entry pass. He very clearly has a successful NBA career in his future but I’m looking forward to the time he’ll be a Zag!
  • Mantua
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

My favorite words from last night’s game were "Ayayi is everywhere."

I love Watson and watched him play For GPrep when their games were televised. I’m worried about his shoulder now and thinking about all that Olynyk endured with shoulder injuries.
    Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post

I’m super impressed with Anton Watson. I would love to see him become a bit more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball. I think he’s already our best passer, especially that high to low post entry pass. He very clearly has a successful NBA career in his future but I’m looking forward to the time he’ll be a Zag!
      Agree on both counts.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Really like the complimentary skills that Ayayi, Gilder, and Woolridge bring to the backcourt. Lots of options re: matchups, breathers, etc. However, this 3-guard lineup should not, and IMHO, will not get any run this year. Too many gifted wings and bigs................

Go ZAGS

Comment

• gueastcoast
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post

Agree but I like that he's not more aggressive (yet), letting the game come to him....he'll get there. Seems like a great kid with a bright future.
          Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• HenneZag
            Zag for Life
            • Aug 2012

I think we could see the 3 guard lineup depending on matchups. Due to our lack of depth at the guard position though I dont see it happening much. We need to have a fresh guard that can come off the bench and sub for any of the other guards etc. I also agree that we have the riches of wings and need to take advantage of this on most accounts.
            America's Team!

Comment

• mgadfly
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
              Really like the complimentary skills that Ayayi, Gilder, and Woolridge bring to the backcourt. Lots of options re: matchups, breathers, etc. However, this 3-guard lineup should not, and IMHO, will not get any run this year. Too many gifted wings and bigs................

Go ZAGS
              I was looking at KenPom to see how much we've used the Woolridge-Gilder-Ayayi lineup and can't quite get the numbers to work.

It says that Ayayi has been the SF 24% of the time and that Kispert has been the SF 76% of the time. That adds up so far.

Then in the top lineups section it has:

Woolridge-Gilder-Ayayi-Watson-Petrusev at 5.1%
              Lang-Arluskus-Ayayi-Zakharov-Timme at 5.3%

The other 9% of the time that Ayayi is on the court as the three is not listed in our top lineups.

I'm guessing it is:
              Woolie-Gilder-Ayayi with Watson/Timme or Timme/Petrusev

But so far it looks like Few has used 10 to 15% of our playing time to have Ayayi on the court with those other two guards. It seems like a huge investment in these early days if they aren't at least contemplating using that combination at times.

I love the Woolridge, Gilder, Ayayi, Watson --> Bigs McGee lineup. Those first four are super active and can turn people over and keep them uncomfortable. I hope it is more than a lineup they plan to use until Tillie is back.

Comment

• BurgessEraZag
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2008

Ayayi is called a guard, but with 6-5 and lengthy arms, reach he's also a wing. Don't you think. Of course Watson is great but Ayayi is different from everyone else.

Comment

• Birddog
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Ayayi last year was a bit frenetic IMO. This year he has managed to integrate his speed with the speed of the game. I think the Zags are a little quicker this year too.
                  Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                  All mimsy were the borogoves,
                  And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• Ladyzag12
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Mar 2019

I love Ajayi. He must have nearly a 7 foot wingspan and he looks so much more comfortable this year and his jumper looks mechanically fantastic.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mgadfly View Post
                      I love the Woolridge, Gilder, Ayayi, Watson --> Bigs McGee lineup. Those first four are super active and can turn people over and keep them uncomfortable. I hope it is more than a lineup they plan to use until Tillie is back.
                      Thanks for the stats mfly, interesting stuff. The reason I really don't like the lineup you highlight above is the fact that there is not much rebounding or paint protection with those 5 on the floor at the same time. I agree that those 5 would be very disruptive and could create TO's, but the downside is too much for me.

Glad we have Coach to make the actual decisions, although I am undefeated as a D1 MBB coach..............so there's that.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
                        Thanks for the stats mfly, interesting stuff. The reason I really don't like the lineup you highlight above is the fact that there is not much rebounding or paint protection with those 5 on the floor at the same time. I agree that those 5 would be very disruptive and could create TO's, but the downside is too much for me.

Glad we have Coach to make the actual decisions, although I am undefeated as a D1 MBB coach..............so there's that.

Go ZAGS
                        True excepting that Ayayi leads the team in rebounds.
                        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• CDC84
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Joel is also collecting a ton of assists. He's what they call a stat sheet stuffer.

I am dumbfounded by his improvement, and Woolridge has already exceeded my expectations. Always felt the frontcourt would be good because they have so many guys. Trust me, Zakharov would be getting a lot of minutes with a lot of teams.

Once they get Tillie back and his 3 pt. shot, look out.........

Comment

• cggonzaga
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                            Joel is also collecting a ton of assists. He's what they call a stat sheet stuffer.

I am dumbfounded by his improvement, and Woolridge has already exceeded my expectations. Always felt the frontcourt would be good because they have so many guys. Trust me, Zakharov would be getting a lot of minutes with a lot of teams.

Once they get Tillie back and his 3 pt. shot, look out.........
                            Couldn’t agree more on Ayayi’s improvement. Went from the coaches wondering if he’d ever put it together to who I believe is the best 3rd guard we’ve ever had. There is no drop off when he comes in for Woolridge or Gilder.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                              True excepting that Ayayi leads the team in rebounds.
                              Well, there you go shooting holes in my opinion with these silly facts...............

Hope Joel keeps up the great work!!

Go ZAGS

Comment

Working...
                              X