Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Texas A&M postgame thoughts and analysis

Decent bump on our efficiency margin on KenPom today, up to #6: https://kenpom.com/. Defense went from ~30 to 14.

Doesn’t feel like a traditional Gonzaga team. Not as great offensively but all the tools to be an elite defensive team. Kispert needs to find his shot. Watson and Ayayi are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Dan and Blake pretty fast. It’s not foot speed, its brilliant passing. Blake was best LD passer we’ve ever had.
    Alley oops to Turiaf from half court all day long.

Seriously concerned about Woolridge's injury, and to a lesser extent Watson's.

Outside of Ayayi, it seemed like we didn't crash the glass like last game.

Watson's so good, but sometimes he's lacking some intensity.

Loved Gilders 3-pointers.

As much as I love Kispert, he's simply not best in the Alpha role.

Timme is great but I thought he’d be more of a physical big like Mike Daum. He’s very clever but not overly strong, more of a 4 or even a stretch 3.
    Both guys tip the scales at 235. . .Timme will need more upper body strength to get to the "physical big" description. We're only four games into his career at GU, but I'm already forecasting great things from Timme's "frosh to soph" transition. Playing and practicing with Petrusev, Ballo, and Tillie will also pay dividends.

Thanks for the replay highlights...you get a nice perspective watching games that way.

This team is very deceptive...they dont look overly flashy...their just kinda blue collar. They dont get all amped up...they just play. Again, these guys get up the court...they will best team this year on effort alone. The passing...maturity....and EFFORT of thisnteam is impressive. The fact that this team has not been together much just.shows you the coaching going on at GU.

IM reminded again what my coach said tome: "No defense is quicker than the pass" and imo the pass is what has put/kept Gu in the upper echelons of college BB...AFTERALLBB is still a TEAM game.

BRAVO COACHES!

One other thing...let Tillie totally heal up....these guys got his back

We have guards who can play defense for the most part. Lightning fast hands, disrupters,etc. They smashed A and M after a very, very slow start. The team isnt flashy but they have got the job done early in the season.
    Love the zags for life

Blake was best LD passer we’ve ever had.

Agreed (at least in the "Modern era").
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Quiet was right .... missing was anything like the Kennel Club. The announcers said it hadn’t been since the 90s that a top 10 team had been there. The game was well attended. Maybe the 15th of each month there is Valium day
    It was so quiet... I wondered if part of the problem was the lack of crowd mic'ing? I assume floor mics or something similar to the field mics I know they use in soccer and football are placed around the exterior of the floor to pick up the ambient sound of the arena. Maybe the SEC network uses a lower floor mic mix than we are used to on Root or ESPN broadcasts? I know SEC is part of the ESPN family, but I haven't watched any other SEC network games to see how they sound.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Both guys tip the scales at 235. . .Timme will need more upper body strength to get to the "physical big" description. We're only four games into his career at GU, but I'm already forecasting great things from Timme's "frosh to soph" transition. Playing and practicing with Petrusev, Ballo, and Tillie will also pay dividends.
    Timme's frame also looks like it can handle a lot more muscle. Watson seems decently filled out for his frame, but Timme (and especially Zakharov, oh boy) seem like puppies who haven't quite grown into their feet yet.

Timme is unorthodox but he gets the job done. I wish he brought a bit more elevation to his game but he has a great feel that will only get better. I'd like it if he showed less Mallon and more Chunk (Violette). [/QUOTE]

1st part of this comment made me think of Zach Gourde, JP.

Default "Patience" - still the watchword

A couple months back, the Board had a long string discussing Coach Few's somewhat cryptic comment about "patience." At the time, I thought what he was trying to say is that expectations of immediate top-20 success had to be tempered because we had a lot of new players who haven't played together, a large contingent of freshmen, and "other" known uncertainties at the time (Tillie injury, Ballo eligibility, Gilder and Woolridge recoveries, possible redshirts, etc.), let alone the chance of the unexpected (e.g., Ravet departure).

I was apprehensive that the team might not gel prior to WCC games and perhaps lose confidence if they struggled. So far, that ain't the case. I think the level of competition, pace of schedule, and the dominance/control of games has been ideal for helping this team develop. Of course, the team's level today isn't elevated enough to remove doubts about how they'll fare against AZ, UW, UNC, and other tough competition in the upcoming Caribbean tourney. So, not surprising some Board members are voicing "glass half empty" critiques. But, given all of the question marks going into the season, I think this team is ahead of schedule for who they are and, with patience, will improve and meet the high expectations that now go with being Zags.

Smile Big Contributor This Year!

Joel Ayayi!

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

1st part of this comment made me think of Zach Gourde, JP.
    To wit: I think one of Heister/Fox/Dickau compared him to Gourde a couple of days ago.
    Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 11-16-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Our team is improving and the TX game last night showed it. Ayayi and Watson are really improving and quickly. Joel does everything well. Our bigs and guards are beginning to trust each other and play together much better. F4 talent in need of development but they are improving. As the opponents get stronger, we'll see how we do. Liked the game despite A nd M doing a great imitation of playground ball too much of the evening.

My thoughts on the game.....
    I don't think the Zags played great except for their defense, it was really good at times in this game.
    That may be Kispert's worse game for the year and the Zags still won by 30. I don't believe there will be many teams go to Texas A&M by win by 30 points, including Kentucky!
    A little concerned with the fouls and the FT shooting....4 fouls on Petrusev and Timme and 10-15 (67%) from the FT line.....
    Woolridge needs to get his head cleared, he's too good of a shooter to be that bad at the FT line...his problem is mostly mental!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Went back to check out the Aggie Forum. In one of the threads a poster states that some folks in the upper sections fell asleep & that the ushers had to wake them after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Went back to check out the Aggie Forum. In one of the threads a poster states that some folks in the upper sections fell asleep & that the ushers had to wake them after the game.

I'm sure it was meant as a joke. The fans were mostly into it even as the Zags roared to a 20 point first half lead. Their week was filled with remembrances of the bonfire tragedy 20 years ago this week. Reed Arena holds close to 13,000, and I heard the attendance was just under 9000...their best crowd of the year. I have no doubt that Buzz will get the ship righted in College Station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_A...nfire_collapse

My son attended their Midnight Yell at Kyle Field after the game. He said there were at least 10,000 participating, and he couldn't believe how loud they got.

Aggie fans are a proud, and classy bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    To wit: I think one of Heister/Fox/Dickau compared him to Gourde a couple of days ago.
    in terms of having an old school old man's game...but timme has sneaky athleticism...not elevation, but he's pretty light on his feet. he's been surprisingly good guarding on the perimeter when facing smaller players.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZagFan View Post
    I miss Clarke and Rui, but those folks don't come along every year.
    not to worry, just a one year hiatus...dom harris is a dunker and suggs is an elite athlete if he decides to join. will have to wait a little longer for highlight reel dunks from bigs...until kaden perry shows up...ballo will dunk everything in sight, just doesn't get up.

for this year, kispert has thrown down a couple that were pretty decent...he shed a few pounds and i think his vert returned a little. watson is more smooth than explosive, but he'll have some decent ones...if tillie comes back fully healthy and stays that way, he's capable of a tomahawk here and there.

Zags went from #31 defensively on KenPom to #13 after the game. Everyone (on the team and in the press) has been talking about how their defense needs to get better. As of today, it's pretty damn good. The team is already kicking ass offensively (#3 KenPom), but if they can maintain this kind of defense, watch out. At present, the Zags are giving up 59.8 points per game. Granted, you have to consider the opposition, but for a mainly new-formed team, that's seriously impressive. Our guards plus Watson seem to be carrying the defensive impetus. Kispert too.

Hoping for Tillie's return very soon. He's an X-factor that could propel this team again to something far beyond what we've seen so far. After the next couple of cupcakes, the season really, REALLY gets into gear, with about six games that could make or break the season.

The fork in the road is soon approaching. Hell's Bells.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Zags went from #31 defensively on KenPom to #13 after the game. Everyone (on the team and in the press) has been talking about how their defense needs to get better. As of today, it's pretty damn good. The team is already kicking ass offensively (#3 KenPom), but if they can maintain this kind of defense, watch out. At present, the Zags are giving up 59.8 points per game. Granted, you have to consider the opposition, but for a mainly new-formed team, that's seriously impressive. Our guards plus Watson seem to be carrying the defensive impetus. Kispert too.

Hoping for Tillie's return very soon. He's an X-factor that could propel this team again to something far beyond what we've seen so far. After the next couple of cupcakes, the season really, REALLY gets into gear, with about six games that could make or break the season.

The fork in the road is soon approaching. Hell's Bells.

I would love to sport your AC/DC themed Zag as a bumper sticker. Caduceus, if you set up a stand outside a Zags game and sold those as bumper stickers, they would sell out fast. Please alert me know how I can get such a bumper sticker!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

We have never had a more athletic or defensively minded backcourt. That defense during the big run was amazing and our offense looked great. Petrusev looked good except when they would double and he struggled to pass. Timme played poorly in the first half, but picked things up in the second half. I am seriously impressed by Woolridge, he is the best basketball athlete we have had at PG and so good defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I would love to sport your AC/DC themed Zag as a bumper sticker. Caduceus, if you set up a stand outside a Zags game and sold those as bumper stickers, they would sell out fast. Please alert me know how I can get such a bumper sticker!
    I may have accidentally stolen this logo and may have accidentally made it my computer home screen.