Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonzaga vs Texas A&M postgame thoughts and analysis

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    On CK, shooting comes and goes; he could be 7-10 next game. Problem is he’s a step slower than rest of the team and the least athletic GU starter since...., well, a long time. Not talking about biceps, but quickness. But he’s earnest and takes directions well. If Few is going to have him eat up 36-38 of PT, which is likely, he will have to contribute in many other ways.
    Okay, I'll bite.

Corey's going to be a big part of the team, don't let it eat at you because it's a good thing. And he does contribute in many other ways and will continue to do so. He's a leader of the team and not withstanding last game's performance he will help out in many ways besides hitting the open three. Granted, he's not a great one-on-one defender, but he's not the least athletic GU starter since whatever (Wiltjer comes to mind, but there are others). Maybe you didn't see Kispert's put back dunk a few games back, it was quite impressive. And I'm sure the team will continue to improve on defense, but I imagine in late game scenarios when we need a stop the Zags will have their better defenders on the court. As for him eating up 36-38 minutes a game, he does currently lead the team in minutes but it's at 30.3. And when Tillie comes back his and others minutes will go down a bit.

Finally, when Tillie does come back I'm sure you know CK starts over Watson, but I bet those two will get close to the same number of minutes.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Thanks for the wonderful posts, everyone; and the video. I rarely miss Zag Games, but needed to watch my granddaughter's volleyball state tournament games. You all have helped me feel that I never really missed the Game Friday.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Silly question maybe but does anyone have a reason why Watson passes on shooting wide open 3's? He reminds me of Rui in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Silly question maybe but does anyone have a reason why Watson passes on shooting wide open 3's? He reminds me of Rui in that regard.
    I suspect he was respecting the game plan. The Zags were working the ball inside a lot that game.

Could it be that Few wants to utilize the inside game more at this time to work out the bugs and force a lot of inside action to strengthen our bigs? Get them battle hardened for upcoming brawls with bigger stronger inside opponents? I don't think he wants to rely on 3's with our size, although we do have some seriously good three point shooters indeed. The transfers are impressive and I'll give Corey a pass on that last stinker, it happens. He's money.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post

As much as I love Kispert, he's simply not best in the Alpha role.
    I agree, Gonzaga won't be their best this year without Kispert being a big part of it, but not in the role as their best player.
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I would love to sport your AC/DC themed Zag as a bumper sticker. Caduceus, if you set up a stand outside a Zags game and sold those as bumper stickers, they would sell out fast. Please alert me know how I can get such a bumper sticker!
    OK, so how many actually want this as a bumper sticker? Willing to make a few and send them out.

I've had board members send me Zag goodies/newspapers/etc. in the past. Willing to pay it forward.

I can't vouch for the quality. The original image isn't in the best resolution, but the proof image came out reasonably well. The sticker would be 3" x 5", OVAL with the image below:

Let me know ASAP. I hope I'm not getting over my head (What have I done!). Post here (preferably) or PM me (hopefully my inbox isn't full). I'll get back to you.

Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bumper sticker maker!!!

=CAD=

(no cost, btw, unless I have to make tons of them)

I think we are under reacting to this win. Texas A and M are going to be a bubble team and the line for the game only favored us by 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I think we are under reacting to this win. Texas A and M are going to be a bubble team and the line for the game only favored us by 6.
    Good point. They looked very stagnant on offense but the Zags had a lot to do with that. That 6’7” guard (Flagg?) looks like a matchup nightmare and should have had a much bigger impact. The Zags have some unique, instinctive players on defense. I feel that the they are not close to their ceiling yet.

Ayayi a magician on defense.

He sees ball, he steals ball.

His ability to reach into passing lanes is unreal.

Biggest early concerns for college basketball top 10

7. Gonzaga Bulldogs

Concern: Navigating future matchups against more athletic teams

Key moment that highlights concern: With 13:39 remaining in the first half of Gonzaga's 79-49 win over Texas A&M on Friday, Corey Kispert raced down the floor in transition, before stumbling and committing an offensive foul at the rim as three defenders surrounded him.

Last year, Gonzaga never faced a deficit of athleticism in any matchup, because the Bulldogs had Brandon Clarke and Rui Hachimura, a pair of NBA first-round picks in the 2019 NBA draft. This season, Mark Few, per the norm, possesses an efficient crew that's made 42.3% of its 3-pointers and 63.2% of its shots inside the arc. The Bulldogs are still awaiting the return of Killian Tillie, who missed the start of the season following knee surgery. But they are a good team. Still, they struggled in spurts against Texas A&M, the first top-200 team on KenPom they've faced this season.

In the A&M win, Kispert finished 1-for-10, Admon Gilder finished 1-for-4 inside the arc and Filip Petrusev got blocked at the rim in the first half. In December, the Bulldogs will face Washington, Arizona and North Carolina in a three-game stretch against teams with five-star athletes. We'll know more about Gonzaga's ability to handle elite athleticism in those matchups.
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ketball-top-10

Post of the Week, LZ.

I'm not sure that Texas A & M will make it to the Bubble .... but the Zags winning by 30 made a statement around the country (i.e. it was certainly a source of consternation on the dawgman.com premium board).

Yet there are those here who chose look for (then point out) every perceived flaw ... ripping a kid who had an "off" night.

The Zags went to College Station favored by 6 and beat the Aggies by 30. I'll take it.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Post of the Week, LZ.

I'm not sure that Texas A & M will make it to the Bubble .... but the Zags winning by 30 made a statement around the country (i.e. it was certainly a source of consternation on the dawgman.com premium board).

Yet there are those here who chose look for (then point out) every perceived flaw ... ripping a kid who had an "off" night.

The Zags went to College Station favored by 6 and beat the Aggies by 30. I'll take it.
    ditto
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Post of the Week, LZ.

Agree completely!!!

I remember one of our recent starting guards that just had a horrible time shooting "3's" on the road...his percentage was quite unspectacular and yet, if memory serves, no one took "pot shots" at him. He had much better luck on the road his senior season but was just really inconsistent for the most part.

You might remember him...his name is Kevin Pangos.

I like your post and hope you are correct about A&M being bubble team. But their dreadful offense incessantly dribbling the ball for all it was worth, taking the shot clock down to 5 or 6 seconds on so, so many possessions, then hoping/praying for a sudden open shot. That's not a recipe for winning very many games. Zags defense looked solid against the Aggies, but I suspect a lot of SEC defenses will come out feeling good about themselves after playing TAMU this season. Plus factor in what looks to be an extended absence of starting guard TJ Starks from the team following his arrest for marijuana possession. Hard for me to see A&M as a bubble team.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Agree completely!!!

I remember one of our recent starting guards that just had a horrible time shooting "3's" on the road...his percentage was quite unspectacular and yet, if memory serves, no one took "pot shots" at him. He had much better luck on the road his senior season but was just really inconsistent for the most part.

You might remember him...his name is Kevin Pangos.
    You’re right. And why was that?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You’re right. And why was that?
    The stadiums were deeper, fan noise, a lack of confidence, legs were tired and any number of things...it took him three years to get comfortable on the road.

Most of Kispert's shots on Friday looked rushed. The one he did make he looked much more relaxed and in rhythm when he took it. The other thing I wonder about is the stadium looked a lot more spacious than the kennel which can't help if your rushing your shot or having any king of off night.