Thread: Post game pressers - A & M

Default Post game pressers - A & M

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Thanks. I hope the A & M coach is successful. He seems to have a good, positive approach. I also thought the 2 players gave thoughtful and honest answers and represented their team well.

Williams' comments re: bad shots (starting at the 10:20 mark) was not-your-average post game cliche laced exposition.

Thank you for the link, sitting
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-16-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Additional press coverage of the A & M game:

The Texas homecoming couldn’t have gone much better for Admon Gilder, Ryan Woolridge and Drew Timme.

Gilder, a grad transfer from Texas A&M, didn’t even make it to the court for warm-ups before he was stopped by a friendly face wearing a Texas A&M polo.

Exiting the court after the rout, Timme stopped to hug four friends he grew up with in Richardson, Texas, while Woolridge, a grad transfer from North Texas, smiled as he pointed at a sizable group of supporters.

In between, Gilder and Woolridge shared team-high scoring honors with 16 points and combined for five of GU’s seven 3-pointers. Timme added 11 points, five rebounds, four steals and two blocks.

“It’s been an enjoyable few days,” said Gilder, who posed for dozens of postgame pictures with fans and friends while holding 3-year-old daughter Kailey. “Having her in my arms, it means the world to me. It’s the reason why I do this. I’m glad to be home and we got the win. That’s the only thing that mattered to me.”
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...oming-for-gon/

Thank you very much for sharing this with the group.

I can see why their coach is so successful. His analysis of the game and presentation of that data is impressive. I thought the student athletics who spoke were articulate and represented themselves and their university with class.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Williams' comments re: bad shots (starting at the 10:20 mark) was not-your-average post game cliches.

Thank you for the link, sitting
    Yeah, that Buzz Williams postgame interview was refreshing. Dude seems to have a real, for lack of a better word, scholarly perspective on hoops. Deep analysis and honest answers; such a pleasure to listen to. Very different from Few’s approach to postgame media interviews as he exudes impatience and displeasure with the entire experience.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

https://www.theeagle.com/sports/gild...90162722e.html

Gilder returns to lead Gonzaga men's basketball team past Texas A&M

“It felt amazing. I consider this place my second home, so at the end of the day, us coming in and getting the victory was meaningful for me and for this program,” Gilder said.

---------------------------------

also some good photos
    https://www.theeagle.com/gallery/gal...3721d79.html#6

Default For those who didn't get to see the game yesterday.

Watch the entire game in under 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Yeah, that Buzz Williams postgame interview was refreshing. Dude seems to have a real, for lack of a better word, scholarly perspective on hoops. Deep analysis and honest answers; such a pleasure to listen to. Very different from Few’s approach to postgame media interviews as he exudes impatience and displeasure with the entire experience.

Buzz is a great coach. He will get A&M rolling. This was his dream job in many ways. It was also a wise move. I know Virginia Tech is a pretty decent program, but you will always plays second fiddle to you know who. Meanwhile, the state of Texas might produce more D-1 talent than any other state, and Buzz's side of the SEC isn't as strong as the east.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Buzz is a great coach. He will get A&M rolling. This was his dream job in many ways. It was also a wise move. I know Virginia Tech is a pretty decent program, but you will always plays second fiddle to you know who. Meanwhile, the state of Texas might produce more D-1 talent than any other state, and Buzz's side of the SEC isn't as strong as the east.
    Basketball will always play second fiddle to football at A&M, too. Heck, their stadium across the street from Reed Arena holds close to 100,000. The recruiting advantage A&M and UT-Austin have over the rest of the state is huge. Even with a moribund program, A&M came in second to GU for Timme. You win at UT or A&M, and you'll never want for a job the rest of your life, unless you screw it up like Vince Young or Johnny Manziel.

Buzz's history demonstrates that he will revive this program. Within a couple of years, kids will be begging to come play for him. He won't need to compete with ACC and Kentucky for top 10 talent. He'll do just fine with 21-50 players who will play for him.

He will find the diamonds in the rough, too. Probably half of the HS players in North Texas play ball year round, and have their own personal tutors/coaches. BTW, North Texas is approaching 7 million in population and continues to grow to the tune of 150,000 new residents annually. There are several high schools with more than 5000 students. At our HS, 80 boys tried out for the two freshman teams, with a similar number trying out for two JV teams. By that time, the varsity team has pretty much been selected.

At the risk of repeating myself, the smartest thing WCC schools could do is establish a presence in the state of Texas. They can tout the value of their quality of education to the parents (I know that moms fall in love with GU when they visit the campus, my wife is proof of that...man, she drank the Kool Aid during our visit two summers ago). Texas kids are better prepared for college than those in California, whose education system has deteriorated over the past few decades. Good coaches can turn a 2 or 3 star player into a 3 or 4 star player during their career. Case in point: Jett Raines, who played for Pepperdine a few years ago, from our HS, Coppell. Unheralded as a freshman, as a senior he was second team all-WCC.

Buzz won't have to beg, that's not his style anyway. He's a native of Texas, and knows the cache that A&M brings...it gets him through any door that he wants.

O/T, this is a pivotal year for Shaka Smart at UT. His arrival was accompanied by much fanfare, deservedly so. They haven't performed up to the expectations that come in Austin, as Tom Herman is finding out in his third year as the football coach. Wouldn't surprise me that Shaka needs a trip to the Sweet 16 to keep his job.