• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag365
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

More professional/polished

The two SEC broadcasters demonstrated that they do more than call play-by-play and discuss what's happening in-game. They did pre-game research, interviews, etc. and also showed they followed the rise of the program, which you would expect from someone who covers MBB for a living and is preparing to broadcast a game involving a nationally ranked powerhouse. Of course, Sunvold played several years for Sonics in the '80s so he probably paid more attention to the Zags over the years than the average observer outside of the PNW.

It was fun and refreshing to hear their comments. Agree that the local ROOT-TV crew for Zags is less mature/polished. They could learn from the SEC crew if they watched a replay.

Comment

• Birddog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Sunvold has always been rock steady and knowledgeable. He used to cover Big 12 (maybe Big 8) games back in the day.
      Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
      All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• CanadianZagsFan
        Kennel Club Material
        • Jun 2016

They spoke very highly of Zags. Caught me off guard. And knew about program well too. Real solid broadcast team. Better than Dan Dikach’s of the world ughhhh

Comment

• soccerdud
          Zag for Life
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          Not sure I agree as they were calling GU a blue blood and of the best programs in the country all night.
          this.

my point isn't a negative one. it is absolutely deserved and i thought the announcers were excellent. however, there still seems to be some amount of resentment and rabbit ears around here about the national media and their portrayal of / respect for our zags. well, the national network for the SEC (opposite geo, football conference, home of kentucky, known neither for humility nor giving outsiders credit) spent about 2.5 hours blowing us up. kentucky's network called us a blue blood. full stop.

that just seemed noteworthy to me.

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Superior announcers. Someone last night in the game thread pointed out that this pair seemed to know a lot about GU....sometimes more than our own chatterboxes. I agree. They were well prepared an well spoken. Out 3 guys seem to be sitting in a bar somewhere bs'ing back and forth. It's not all bad but our box of guys could really watch and learn how to call a game. We are a perennial top 10 high class team and our games ( e.g. last night) could be described much better as they unfold.

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Mantua View Post
              I agree, however, they did seem a little surprised by GU’s dominance.
              I was a little surprised by GU's dominance. I expected to win. I expected a pretty close game. I wouldn't have been shocked that G ran away with it. I was quite surprised that they allowed a 20 point run to dominate the first half.

I don't think we can put that on them.

The SEC is quite wealthy. They have a very professional good crew. I think they could get better camerawork, but their announcers were top-notch, better than most ESPN crews.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• CB4
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2009

Gonzaga traditionally has had a really practical, hands on learning broadcasting and media department. I always see it as a missed opportunity that the local Gonzaga broadcast partner, KHQ, doesn't use five or six of the students in that department as interns or whatever to put together two or three vignettes that they can air each game. Something like a quick Q and A with recruits or freshman. Showing players in study hall or getting ready for a road trip. Asking the internationals what American foods they like, what they miss about home, what their hometowns are like, etc. 2-3 minute segments that can air during breaks or timeouts or something. Would make the broadcast much better.

Comment

• CB4
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2009

Hell even use it to show new stuff being built on campus or what the women's soccer team is up to. Free advertising for the school, experience for the students, and content for KHQ. Win/win/win.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
                    Gonzaga traditionally has had a really practical, hands on learning broadcasting and media department. I always see it as a missed opportunity that the local Gonzaga broadcast partner, KHQ, doesn't use five or six of the students in that department as interns or whatever to put together two or three vignettes that they can air each game. Something like a quick Q and A with recruits or freshman. Showing players in study hall or getting ready for a road trip. Asking the internationals what American foods they like, what they miss about home, what their hometowns are like, etc. 2-3 minute segments that can air during breaks or timeouts or something. Would make the broadcast much better.
                    When it comes to Gonzaga's broadcast partner, KHQ, your off-the-cuff post above demonstrates more novel ideas for improving the broadcasts than KHQ and the tres' amigos have come up with cumulatively over the past 15 years. To be fair, I do think Richard Fox does a decent job much of the time.
                    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                    —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• rennis
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

I thought the announcers were excellent and indeed gave the Zags a ton of respect. Very well done, and ego-boosting if you're into that sort of thing.

At one point in the first half one of the guys said "Zags are really struggling here, having missed two of their last nine attempts." lolololololololol!
                      Originally posted by Coach Few
                      We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• Rangerzag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rennis View Post
                        At one point in the first half one of the guys said "Zags are really struggling here, having missed two of their last nine attempts." lolololololololol!
                        Thought the same thing at the time.
                        "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
                        "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
                        I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• webspinnre
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
                          Make it so.
                          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Zagdawg
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Agree --- think it would make for a great opportunity to get to know the team better.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                              Agree --- think it would make for a great opportunity to get to know the team better.
                              I really enjoy the Mark Few Show, especially the Heister interviews with a different player each episode. Sure, the show is local and corny at times (especially the Heister/Coach Few banter), but I think Heister actually does a pretty good job in the one-on-one interview scenario.

Agree that the "gleesome threesome" gets a bit stale at times, but there is only so much to say in the 40 point blowouts prevalent in the OOC. I like me some "Big Sexy" though..............Richard does a nice job keeping Heister and Dickau on the rails for the most part. Keep in mind that the SEC talking heads get GU at most once a year, while the "three amigos" are on our screens twice a week. A lot easier to come off as informed/knowledgeable as a one-off, as compared to dozens of time a season in blowouts.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• Zagger
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
                                I really enjoy the Mark Few Show, especially the Heister interviews with a different player each episode. Sure, the show is local and corny at times (especially the Heister/Coach Few banter), but I think Heister actually does a pretty good job in the one-on-one interview scenario.

Agree that the "gleesome threesome" gets a bit stale at times, but there is only so much to say in the 40 point blowouts prevalent in the OOC. I like me some "Big Sexy" though..............Richard does a nice job keeping Heister and Dickau on the rails for the most part. Keep in mind that the SEC talking heads get GU at most once a year, while the "three amigos" are on our screens twice a week. A lot easier to come off as informed/knowledgeable as a one-off, as compared to dozens of time a season in blowouts.

Go ZAGS
                                Thanks for putting things in perspective
                                Spokane is a unique place with unique people. Why be like some place else? I enjoy our 3 amigos as well as Hudson & Morrison.

Comment

Working...
                                X