Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: SEC network talking gonzaga

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,157

    Default SEC network talking gonzaga

    is it just me or do they sound like total homers?

    holy moly the perception of this program has changed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    431

    Default

    No, they do sound like homers. As well they should, Gonzaga is now a blue blood.
    UNITED WE ZAG !!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,381

    Default

    Better promoters of GU than the 3 stooges.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Better promoters of GU than the 3 stooges.
    I could not agree more, and yes, Dan Dickau is a complete stooge. I wish every Zag game was on ESPN or an ESPN owned network.
    UNITED WE ZAG !!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,131

    Default

    What else can they do, A&M is low major team this year playing in a high major league. They are in for a LONG season.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    I thought the announcers were excellent, and gave GU worthy respect.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy
    Posts
    3,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I could not agree more, and yes, Dan Dickau is a complete stooge. I wish every Zag game was on ESPN or an ESPN owned network.
    Sheesh.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    They had a great description of Timme's game that relates to what was discussed in the ND thread. I may have to rewatch the game just to write it down, since I'm not remembering the exact words but it was fun and descriptive.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    They had a great description of Timme's game that relates to what was discussed in the ND thread. I may have to rewatch the game just to write it down, since I'm not remembering the exact words but it was fun and descriptive.
    It was a description of Timme from a high school recruiting guru.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Not only were they more than complimentary of us they seemed to have a good knowledge and understanding of college basketball generally. Which seems a rarity on many of our broadcasts (and I include "flagship" ESPN in that comment).
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    is it just me or do they sound like total homers?

    holy moly the perception of this program has changed.
    What did you expect.............it is the SEC Network after all. However, they were VERY complimentary of the program, coach Few, John Stockton, etc. as they should have been given the last 20 years of GU Basketball. I just think a lot of the talk was simply to cover for the beatdown GU was giving to a mighty SEC school, on the SEC Network.

    Not sure why A&M scheduled this game, as they get to play plenty of ranked teams in the SEC.

    Go ZAGS

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Not only were they more than complimentary of us they seemed to have a good knowledge and understanding of college basketball generally. Which seems a rarity on many of our broadcasts (and I include "flagship" ESPN in that comment).
    I agree, however, they did seem a little surprised by GU’s dominance.
    Parlez-vous français?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    I agree, however, they did seem a little surprised by GU’s dominance.
    Not sure I agree as they were calling GU a blue blood and of the best programs in the country all night.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post

    Not sure why A&M scheduled this game, as they get to play plenty of ranked teams in the SEC.

    Go ZAGS

    Return game from their trip to Spokane last year.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not sure I agree as they were calling GU a blue blood and of the best programs in the country all night.
    They appeared to have some confidence in the home team early on so it’s possible that they were building up the Zag swag while anticipating a more competitive game.
    Parlez-vous français?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Seattle
    Posts
    986

    Default More professional/polished

    The two SEC broadcasters demonstrated that they do more than call play-by-play and discuss what's happening in-game. They did pre-game research, interviews, etc. and also showed they followed the rise of the program, which you would expect from someone who covers MBB for a living and is preparing to broadcast a game involving a nationally ranked powerhouse. Of course, Sunvold played several years for Sonics in the '80s so he probably paid more attention to the Zags over the years than the average observer outside of the PNW.

    It was fun and refreshing to hear their comments. Agree that the local ROOT-TV crew for Zags is less mature/polished. They could learn from the SEC crew if they watched a replay.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,080

    Default

    Sunvold has always been rock steady and knowledgeable. He used to cover Big 12 (maybe Big 8) games back in the day.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    141

    Default

    They spoke very highly of Zags. Caught me off guard. And knew about program well too. Real solid broadcast team. Better than Dan Dikach’s of the world ughhhh

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not sure I agree as they were calling GU a blue blood and of the best programs in the country all night.
    this.

    my point isn't a negative one. it is absolutely deserved and i thought the announcers were excellent. however, there still seems to be some amount of resentment and rabbit ears around here about the national media and their portrayal of / respect for our zags. well, the national network for the SEC (opposite geo, football conference, home of kentucky, known neither for humility nor giving outsiders credit) spent about 2.5 hours blowing us up. kentucky's network called us a blue blood. full stop.

    that just seemed noteworthy to me.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,034

    Default

    Superior announcers. Someone last night in the game thread pointed out that this pair seemed to know a lot about GU....sometimes more than our own chatterboxes. I agree. They were well prepared an well spoken. Out 3 guys seem to be sitting in a bar somewhere bs'ing back and forth. It's not all bad but our box of guys could really watch and learn how to call a game. We are a perennial top 10 high class team and our games ( e.g. last night) could be described much better as they unfold.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    I agree, however, they did seem a little surprised by GU’s dominance.
    I was a little surprised by GU's dominance. I expected to win. I expected a pretty close game. I wouldn't have been shocked that G ran away with it. I was quite surprised that they allowed a 20 point run to dominate the first half.

    I don't think we can put that on them.

    The SEC is quite wealthy. They have a very professional good crew. I think they could get better camerawork, but their announcers were top-notch, better than most ESPN crews.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    789

    Default

    Gonzaga traditionally has had a really practical, hands on learning broadcasting and media department. I always see it as a missed opportunity that the local Gonzaga broadcast partner, KHQ, doesn't use five or six of the students in that department as interns or whatever to put together two or three vignettes that they can air each game. Something like a quick Q and A with recruits or freshman. Showing players in study hall or getting ready for a road trip. Asking the internationals what American foods they like, what they miss about home, what their hometowns are like, etc. 2-3 minute segments that can air during breaks or timeouts or something. Would make the broadcast much better.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    789

    Default

    Hell even use it to show new stuff being built on campus or what the women's soccer team is up to. Free advertising for the school, experience for the students, and content for KHQ. Win/win/win.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liberty Lake
    Posts
    1,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Gonzaga traditionally has had a really practical, hands on learning broadcasting and media department. I always see it as a missed opportunity that the local Gonzaga broadcast partner, KHQ, doesn't use five or six of the students in that department as interns or whatever to put together two or three vignettes that they can air each game. Something like a quick Q and A with recruits or freshman. Showing players in study hall or getting ready for a road trip. Asking the internationals what American foods they like, what they miss about home, what their hometowns are like, etc. 2-3 minute segments that can air during breaks or timeouts or something. Would make the broadcast much better.
    When it comes to Gonzaga's broadcast partner, KHQ, your off-the-cuff post above demonstrates more novel ideas for improving the broadcasts than KHQ and the tres' amigos have come up with cumulatively over the past 15 years. To be fair, I do think Richard Fox does a decent job much of the time.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    2,748

    Default

    I thought the announcers were excellent and indeed gave the Zags a ton of respect. Very well done, and ego-boosting if you're into that sort of thing.

    At one point in the first half one of the guys said "Zags are really struggling here, having missed two of their last nine attempts." lolololololololol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •