Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How GU non-conference schedules are built

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Like it or not there is a method to their madness and their scheduling is one of the reasons they are consistently getting higher seeds than they ever have.

Gonzaga as a program gets the benefit of the doubt these days. The program has arrived and has that brand name recognition come seeding time, especially with the weakened West of late.

So the formula appears to be go to the most prestigious tourney every season (a virtual lock for them by not being in a power conference), schedule 4-6 other good to great OOC games depending on seasonal strength and fill the rest with cupcakes that you utterly smash and don't hurt you on the advanced analytics side. (instead of risking an upset ala UK/SMC/Pitt against a 75-150 team that you might stumble on early)

You may not like it but there is a tremendous amount of logic in it.
    I much prefer the foundational philosophy that got Gonzaga here in the first place - anyone, anytime, anywhere - over this cautious approach in a heartbeat.

This is great board banter here all around imo; I don’t get how/why anyone could be offended by this. Hell jazz got me laughing out loud with his “now you’re just showing off” comment. I agree w him, CB4, you gotta go out and get this scheduling job asap!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I much prefer the foundational philosophy that got Gonzaga here in the first place - anyone, anytime, anywhere - over this cautious approach in a heartbeat.

This is great board banter here all around imo; I don’t get how/why anyone could be offended by this. Hell jazz got me laughing out loud with his “now you’re just showing off” comment. I agree w him, CB4, you gotta go out and get this scheduling job asap!
    There’s a balance between a murderer’s row of non conference opponents, and having a balance between between easier teams, mid tier, and solid opponents. Not sure what the Zags projected SOS is, but I’d prefer it to be in the 25-50th toughest nationally range.

No one is asking for a blue blood only schedule. Replace Arkansas Pine Bluffs with WSU, Texas-Arlington with Colorado or virtually any other Pac 12 school, CSUB with SDSU or some decent MWC or AAC school, and Detroit with Tennessee or Memphis and I'd gladly shut up each year.

That being said I'd be down for a year of murderers row. If we could line up the top 10 teams to fill 10 of the 12 or so nonconference spots I think that's be awesome for the program

Self appointed keepers of the flame, bless their hearts, are threatened by any remotely critical thought.

The more good games, the better, but cupcakes help the team work on things.

The complaints of season ticket holders who donít get to see enough marquee matchups is probably a legitimate complaint for someone who has been swimming in that water for a while, because itís human nature (and something I have experienced multiple times in other areas), but it has shades of Latrell Sprewell turning down $21 million over 3 years because he had mouths to feed.

I want to go on record saying that Iím happy with the Zags, cupcakes and all. You canít have cheesecake every day without finding problems with that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Self appointed keepers of the flame, bless their hearts, are threatened by any remotely critical thought.
    Agreed, think this is a topic where we can maintain and debate legitimate differences of opinion. I will confess that I am conflicted and able to see all sides of the issue. The one thing I feel strongly about is if we are to schedule any number of cupcakes (whether it be a small or large number) I'd prefer they include at least a few teams of regional interest. I have no doubt there are reasons (here are a few: $, $, $, $) we don't but I think scheduling a few regional opponents is a fan-pleasing move and worth considering.

I say this as someone who only lived in Spokane for college, and have lived in New York City for 25+ years...but I know if I were a season ticket holder I'd rather see EWU (say) than UT Arlington.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    .but I know if I were a season ticket holder I'd rather see EWU (say) than UT Arlington.
    At least one or the other. This year you have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    At least one or the other. This year you have both.
    Yeah my bad - bad example since we do have EWU back on the sked. Insert Idaho, Montana, WSU, etc....

Nah it’s just one that you’re either on one side or the other and neither can change the others minds. It’s pretty simple actually
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Nah it’s just one that you’re either on one side or the other and neither can change the others minds. It’s pretty simple actually
    I posit one can be on either side and still not be offended.

I posit one can be on either side and still not be offended.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    , add WSU back to the home/home rotation
    Would actually like to see a 3 year rotation on that; one game in the Kennel, one game at Friel Court, and one game at the Spokane Arena. But make sure the students are not on break.

schedule a standing home/home with UCLA/USC .
    Would love to see that; that way I could have more chances to see the Zags play in person.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Well put. The TG tourneys are great as are a handful of OOC games vs blue bloods. But scheduling is more art than science and I believe playing eight cupcakes even in a year that could be down is not acceptable to a top 10 program. GU canít have it both ways. If itís a top 10 program, and I believe it is, it canít hide behind the halcyon cry of no one will play us. Nova went into Saint John arena last night and got waxed. So what?
    This is a pretty misinformed take. Gonzaga has to walk a careful line when scheduling. For example, Villanova losing yesterday to the Buckeyes was part of a Big 10 Big East schedule. We don't have a conference that can offer those sorts of games in negotiations. Gonzaga also has to be careful because our conference is so bad that we cannot risk losing too many games, otherwise it ruins our at large bids. Finally, Gonzaga's location and limited ticket revenue makes true home and homes difficult in terms of finance and logistics. Gonzaga is a unique position in that most top teams are in power conferences so their out of conference schedules doesn't matter that much and 5-6 losses doesn't crush their chances at a top seed.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    If the goal is to get the highest seed every year then you're likely 100 percent correct.

I think about, with scheduling, things like TV exposure, providing real value to season ticket holders, being able to sell 5 star west coast recruits on why they should choose Gonzaga over USC, as an example, based on what could be characterized as an "inverted P5 schedule" if Gonzaga truly stacked the nonconference season with decent games. I would think that if Gonzaga did everything to mitigate against the real perception that Gonzaga doesn't play a P5 schedule, they'd get better recruits. Yes I know Suggs might join the program and there are the internationals. Suggs is the exception, the internationals are due to good old fashion hard work of the coaching staff.
    Slightly off topic, but we will never get recruits that are considering USC or UCLA in Southern California. The whole AAU circuit down there is a giant corrupt feeder to both of those programs, or whichever one at the time is willing to play ball with the local AAU war lords.

Other than that, itís dry and uninformative. Did you really learn something new? Címon.
    There are 8 jelly donuts on this yearís OOC schedule. Thatís silly. The only good thing you can say about the Dunkinís is that GU hasnít provided a reliable way to watch the games.
    actually yes, I learned there were only 2 buy games. I thought it would be WAAAAY more than that. (at least I think that's what I read)

????

Sincere question. Why would anyone be annoyed with this conversation?
    Not the conversation... the tone right out of the gate. But hey, by all means, discuss... trash the OP/article... whatever. You guys on the negative side are winning... the number of people posting and visiting the site continue to drop. Eventually, you'll be talking to yourselves.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Not the conversation... the tone right out of the gate. But hey, by all means, discuss... trash the OP/article... whatever. You guys on the negative side are winning... the number of people posting and visiting the site continue to drop. Eventually, you'll be talking to yourselves.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    This is a pretty misinformed take. Gonzaga has to walk a careful line when scheduling. For example, Villanova losing yesterday to the Buckeyes was part of a Big 10 Big East schedule. We don't have a conference that can offer those sorts of games in negotiations. Gonzaga also has to be careful because our conference is so bad that we cannot risk losing too many games, otherwise it ruins our at large bids. Finally, Gonzaga's location and limited ticket revenue makes true home and homes difficult in terms of finance and logistics. Gonzaga is a unique position in that most top teams are in power conferences so their out of conference schedules doesn't matter that much and 5-6 losses doesn't crush their chances at a top seed.
    That’s about as negative a post as there has been on this thread. Congrats. But an exquisite explanation of why GU stays in the WCC, and its automatic bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    This is called protectionism. Gonzaga worked extremely hard to put themselves in the position they are in, namely a legit top fifteen team on an annual basis. They didn't do that by gaming the system. They played tough schedules and got their butts kicked from time to time, but eventually started beating some of those Power teams. They shouldn't be afraid of anybody these days. If they take a couple losses, so what. And if they think they are a legit contender for Final Fours (they are), they should play a schedule that is commensurate with that status. Padding the schedule to make the tournament or to get a better seed smacks of Syracuse. I don't think that's what the fanbase wants and I don't think Coach Few, the one that took bold steps to get where they are, wants that either.

If posts are down overall, then imo itís more because unorthodox views are quickly excoriated by the keepers, not that candid views of various aspects of Gonzagaís wonderful program may be increasing. Example, one common rebuke by the keepers is to ask for the provenance of the posterís fandom, a loyalty test so to speak, as if a real GU graduate would just never speak ill of the program.

This is called protectionism. Gonzaga worked extremely hard to put themselves in the position they are in, namely a legit top fifteen team on an annual basis. They didn't do that by gaming the system. They played tough schedules and got their butts kicked from time to time, but eventually started beating some of those Power teams. They shouldn't be afraid of anybody these days. If they take a couple losses, so what. And if they think they are a legit contender for Final Fours (they are), they should play a schedule that is commensurate with that status. Padding the schedule to make the tournament or to get a better seed smacks of Syracuse. I don't think that's what the fanbase wants and I don't think Coach Few, the one that took bold steps to get where they are, wants that either.
    Marko, you had me until your last clause. Are you sure?

Marko, you had me until your last clause. Are you sure?
    Haha. No.

But, I sincerely hope so.

If posts are down overall, then imo it’s more because unorthodox views are quickly excoriated by the keepers, not that candid views of various aspects of Gonzaga’s wonderful program may be increasing. Example, one common rebuke by the keepers is to ask for the provenance of the poster’s fandom, a loyalty test so to speak, as if a real GU graduate would just never speak ill of the program.
    let me know when you have been banned or stopped from posting. What is interesting is that it is ok for you to be negative about just about everything but others can’t be negative about the negativity. Fine. I’m done with this thread. Just pointing out that it’s the tone that drives people away.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Question Home & Home...

...vs. Notre Dame?

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    ...vs. Notre Dame?

:]

These guys? A lock.

https://www.ndnu.edu/