Thread: Gonzaga Baseball Signs Six Standouts to NLIs

Post Gonzaga Baseball Signs Six Standouts to NLIs

Baseball Signs Six Standouts to NLIs

Machtolf bringing in five HS prospects and one JuCo transfer for 2021 season

SPOKANE, Wash. — Gonzaga baseball head coach Mark Machtolf announced the signing of six standouts to National Letters of Intent on Wednesday.

The group includes five high school prospects one local junior college transfer from Spokane Falls Community College. Five of the six players have strong pitching experience to go along with one position player.

Matthew Bachelier | Nogales, Ariz. | Nogales High School
    A right-handed pitcher from Nogales, Arizona, Bachelier was a Perfect Game preseason underclassman All-American last year and earned second team All-Region honors. He helped his Nogales High School team win the Arizona 4A state championship in both 2017 and 2018.

Bachelier on choosing Gonzaga:
    "I can really see myself growing at Gonzaga not only as a player, but as a person, too."

Machtolf on signing Bachelier:
    "Matthew comes to Gonzaga as one of the top RHP's from Arizona. He has a chance to be a frontline weekend starter in his career, and we look forward to being a part of his development."

Drew Bond | Phoenix, Ariz. | Sunnyslope High School
    Bond, an infielder and right-handed pitcher from Phoenix, Arizona, joins the Zags from Sunnyslope High School. A Perfect Game Preseason All-American, Bond was the Region Player of the Year and earned First Team All-State honors as a junior.

Bond on choosing Gonzaga:
    "I chose Gonzaga University because of its great environment and school atmosphere, and I can see myself being successful here."

Machtolf on signing Bond:
    "Drew is one of the premier infielders out of the state of Arizona. We also believe he has a chance to be a legitimate 2-way guy with what he can do on the mound. We look forward to welcoming him to the Zag family."

Chase Grillo | Kennewick, Wash. | Kamiakin High School/Spokane Falls CC
    Grillo, a native of Kennewick, Wash., and Kamiakin High School, will join Gonzaga after wrapping up his career at Spokane Falls Community College. In his first season at SFCC, Grillo pitched 14.0 innings out of the bullpen across 12 appearances and struck out 13 batters with a 1.29 earned-run average.

Grillo on choosing Gonzaga:
    "I chose Gonzaga because of the great coaches that have had continued success with the program and to earn a high-class education."

Machtolf on signing Grillo:
    "Chase is a bit of a late bloomer, who has made a huge jump in his one year at the JC level. He's a low 90's RHP, who we think can fit right into our bullpen immediately when he steps on campus. His work ethic is something that stood out to us in the recruiting process."

Carson Walters | Twin Falls, Idaho | Twin Falls High School
    Walters, a left-handed pitcher from Twin Falls, Idaho, was a member of the Twin Falls High School state title team from 2017 and has earned all-state honors in Idaho. Walters was also named first-team all-conference honors as both a pitcher and outfielder during his career. He's competed at the USA Baseball National Team Championships and taken part in USA Baseball's National Team Identification Series and the North vs. South Classic. Academically, Walters also helped his high school to an Idaho Academic State Championship.

Walters on choosing Gonzaga:
    "I chose Gonzaga because of its excellent baseball program and academics. The campus is beautiful and the Spokane area is awesome. The coaching staff is very dedicated and made me feel welcome when I went to visit. I like the family-based atmosphere and the community involvement. It will be honor to play baseball for Gonzaga."

Machtolf on signing Walters:
    "We are extremely excited to welcome Carson to the Zag family. He is a very athletic LHP, who comes from a very solid legion program. We think he has a very bright future as a Zag!"

Owen Wild | Gig Harbor, Wash. | Gig Harbor High School
    Wild, a native of Gig Harbor, Wash., was named the 2019 3A South Sound Conference MVP, and earned 2019 News Tribune All Area First Team and 2019 3A Coaches Association All State Team honors. Wild set Gig Harbor High School's single-season strikeout record with 112 in 78.0 innings with an ERA of 1.26. A four-time all-tournament player for Baseball Northwest, Wild helped his team win the tournament twice and was named the MVP of the 2018 Baseball Northwest Tournament.

Wild on choosing Gonzaga:
    "From the moment I stepped foot on campus, I've wanted to become a Zag. With strong academics, a great coaching staff, and an amazing environment, I can't imagine anywhere else I'd rather go."

Machtolf on signing Wild:
    "We have a long history of watching Owen over the years, and think he is an outstanding fit for the Zags and our culture. He has a true four-pitch mix, and we think he is only going to continue to get better over the next four years."

Russell Young | Surrey, British Columbia | Langley High School
    Young comes to Gonzaga from Langley High School in British Columbia. A native of Surrey, B.C., Young was a member of the Canadian Junior National Team.

Young on choosing Gonzaga:
    From the first step, I knew Gonzaga is more than just a school, it's a family. The combination of the elite academics, baseball, and culture is something I'm looking forward to experiencing for myself."

Machtolf on signing Young:
    "Russell is a very athletic catcher from Canada, who also has the ability to play the outfield. He has experience playing on the national level, and we think can come in and compete for a job early in his career."

Gonzaga Article Link

Thanks Terp. Sounds like a pretty strong group.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.