Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Video Streaming / WCCN Issues Thread

I'm having trouble with it too. Last year I could always find a Root channel that worked, but not this year. I'm probably going to cancel my tv sports package because it hasn't had any Gonzaga games this year.

That shark has sailed for me. Complaints to Roth were unheard or meekly acted upon. This egalitarian nonsense within the WCC is just nonsense and I thought last year’s conference cave in was the end of it. Far as I’m concerned it’s on Roth’s desk now.

Wish I could help but I only have DTV, which I can watch everything. I’ll give you a bump tho
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

You really should get a VPN. Not just for Zags games, but for anything you don't want your ISP spying on or if you use wifi on untrusted networks. Most of the big-name ones will have a Seattle-based server that will let you geospoof. For $20/yr or whatever it really comes in handy.

The watch stadium page is unusable, stops,.reloads. freezes every 90.seconds.

Anyone watch via WCC Sports Live website?

I've had great luck with that stream the last few games.

It was a perfect, uninterrupted stream tonight for D Mercy

WCC has no incentive to fix the streaming hardware (or whatever it is) that provides FREE content.

Complain to Roth, the WCC, Stadium Sports, etc. all you want. It won't make a difference. They have no financial incentive to fix it.

And yet, I had zero issues tonight, with the Stadium telecast, and I am in the WCC footprint (LMU and Pepperdine territory). I have no idea if this WCC-tv crap is hit or miss, but I have ways to watch any game, any sport, as long as I am willing to put in the effort. Yes, I do have a VPN, but it was not needed tonight.

I refuse to sign up for Direct-TV or Dish, just so I can get ROOT. I am perfectly happy with my Charter Spectrum service. My only complaint, is that even though I get the Stadium feed in HD, it still looks like garbage compared to an ESPN HD telecast.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    WCC has no incentive to fix the streaming hardware (or whatever it is) that provides FREE content.
    Complain to Roth, the WCC, Stadium Sports, etc. all you want. It won't make a difference. They have no financial incentive to fix it.
    Exactly. My only personal financial contribution to Gonzaga basketball is buying their swag (hoodies, T-shirts, etc). I have never set foot in the city of Spokane in my life, so I have never been in the Kennel. I have seen numerous road Zags games in person, but I have no idea how much of that ticket money filters down to the Zags (I doubt it is very much). I pay for cable TV, so I am obviously paying for when the Zags have an ESPN game. But since I am not paying for ROOT, I am truly grateful that the WCC website still provides me a way to watch the game for free.

Umm, no incentive to deliver their product to fans? Isn’t THAT why they play the games? It isn’t just student recreation is it? Aren’t there advertisers who may actually wish more eyeballs? Doesn’t the college want happier alums, more potential freshmen, friends and funds? That’s a surprisingly defeatist POV, Reno. So, to belabor your point, if the remainder of the FREE telecasts were all to go dark, Roth and his minions would be perfectly OK with that? Serving 6,000 at the Kennel supports their multi-million dollar annual cost?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Umm, no incentive to deliver their product to fans? Isn’t THAT why they play the games? It isn’t just student recreation is it? Aren’t there advertisers who may actually wish more eyeballs? Doesn’t the college want happier alums, more potential freshmen, friends and funds? That’s a surprisingly defeatist POV, Reno. So, to belabor your point, if the remainder of the FREE telecasts were all to go dark, Roth and his minions would be perfectly OK with that? Serving 6,000 at the Kennel supports their multi-million dollar annual cost?
    Where did you find that much straw ?

The issue for a lot of us, I think, is the deal with non-ESPN cable channels. Turns out a fair number of Zag games this season are broadcast on AT&T Sports Net in the Houston area, where I live. Thatís why I keep getting a geo-blocking notification from watchstadium. Iím sure that will happen again with the games on the schedule broadcast on CBSSPORTS.

This setup works for the decreasing number of people who are willing to shell out a small fortune for cable and satellite, but those of us who are opting to cut the cable are left out in the cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been having trouble seeing these games as well. Maybe I should buy a TV. Just kidding.

Seriously. It seems that there is a group of fans/viewers that are regularly whining about not being able to see the games, the free streaming options don't work, or don't work well, and they haven't (as yet) tried the VPN's.

I spend the money on either Dish (my current provider) or Direct TV, for the only reason of being able to watch the Zags and Mariners baseball. It costs, and I am not wealthy, but I enjoy watching those games, so I spend the money. I don't know how sports packages for distant areas work, but there seems to also be a large contingent that live far away, that are able to tune in and see the games.

If you don't want to spend the money and don't want to try the VPN ideas, it is no one else's fault that you can't see the games, in my opinion. Please, try something different. Complaining about the lack of free access gets tiresome.

Rant over
    It's not funny.

I actually had some success last night with the site that LTownZag recommended in the Game Thread. Still had some issues, but it was a much better experience than the WCC site.

I was thinking about it last night during the part of the game that I tried to watch on the WCC site. Can you imagine being a Detroit Mercy fan, your team is playing the #1-ranked team in the nation, you want to watch it somehow, the official Detroit Mercy twitter account gives you a link to the WCC site, then you have to try to watch it on that mess? I would have laughed. I don't know what any other conferences have (aside from the big boys and their own nationally-available cable networks), but the quality of the WCC site is pretty embarrassing. Especially considering they have several schools that are in or near what is arguably the high-tech center of the world. Definitely not befitting a conference that consistently has one of the top programs in the country and 2-3 others that aren't that far behind. They should have kept the old logo and used whatever money they spent on that to help improve the tool that delivers their product to the rest of the world. Or maybe my expectations are too high, I don't know.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

If we were some no-name team followed by a small band of loyalists and alums, I'd agree that much of our lamentation would constitute pointless whining. The reality (as has been demonstrated here on the board ad nauseum) is that we are among the most successful men's college basketball programs of the last 20 years, yet many of our games cannot reliably be viewed by much of the country. This is not true of all the other consistently top MBB programs. THAT is the issue.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    This is not true of all the other consistently top MBB programs. THAT is the issue.
    You are correct. One if the benefits of being in a bigtime Power 5 Football Conference are things like the B10 Network, the SEC Network, the Pac 12 Network etc etc. While I am not happy with the current situation (had to watch a jumpy/multiple skip game over Thanksgiving while in Nashville) I understand that Gonzaga IS different. And as was posted above, there ARE solutions for every household in the nation. They just aren’t free.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    You are correct. One if the benefits of being in a bigtime Power 5 Football Conference are things like the B10 Network, the SEC Network, the Pac 12 Network etc etc. While I am not happy with the current situation (had to watch a jumpy/multiple skip game over Thanksgiving while in Nashville) I understand that Gonzaga IS different. And as was posted above, there ARE solutions for every household in the nation. They just aren’t free.
    Agree with the point on there being other solutions...I guess the metaphysical question is whether the burden should be on the fan or the program to bring us to functional viewing parity with the power conferences....and I say this as someone who has more or less made his peace with watchstadium.com (fortunately I don't get some of the in-market nonsense errors others on the board have reported).

Even if all of us were technophiles happy and able to use VPNs and other workarounds, I'd say there is a case to be made for the program making it easier for all - not just the diehards here on the GUB, but for all fans, media and others around the country who might want to see the top-ranked MBB program in action, and don't want to jump through hoops to do so.

Exactly
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Where did you find that much straw ?
    I don’t know what that means. Please, enlighten me. I assume you are refuting my points.

Try as I might, I am having a hard time mustering sympathy for those who pay NOTHING (cable cutters) being unable to get for free what many others (i.e. Direct TV customers) pay a significant amount to receive. I'm equally unsympathetic for those who think the school has an obligation to provide them with free online games simply because they are "fans."

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    Try as I might, I am having a hard time mustering sympathy for those who pay NOTHING (cable cutters) being unable to get for free what many others (i.e. Direct TV customers) pay a significant amount to receive. I'm equally unsympathetic for those who think the school has an obligation to provide them with free online games simply because they are "fans."
    Respectfully, and noting specifically your statement that I've bolded, I think you're missing the point (or at least my point). Extending the brand nationwide by being on the front foot and at parity with the power conferences with respect to viewing access is a win-win for the university/program as well as for the viewing public.

I won't speak for others -- I'm not a cable-cutter and for me it's certainly not about money -- but in my opinion it's a little embarrassing that our TV coverage doesn't match our national profile. That may be a more nuanced point than others' criticisms, but that's mine.

Fair enough. I speak for myself, I am more than willing to pay for some sort of online or cable coverage. A dedicated app or link, for example, behind a pay wall. But I should not have to tear out my whole cable set-up to do so. But, bigger picture, so to speak, shouldn't the school/Roth be interested in casting a wider net for their product, on which they spend millions. This hiding under your light the basket is way old.

You are correct. One if the benefits of being in a bigtime Power 5 Football Conference are things like the B10 Network, the SEC Network, the Pac 12 Network etc etc. While I am not happy with the current situation (had to watch a jumpy/multiple skip game over Thanksgiving while in Nashville) I understand that Gonzaga IS different. And as was posted above, there ARE solutions for every household in the nation. They just arenít free.
    Of course theyíre not free! But in this day and age, it is frustrating that they are so ruinously expensive, especially because the situation seems to have gotten worse from last year. The WatchStadium app was not the best in the world, but you could get all the out of market games.

Now, I would have to completely alter my at-home media setup and purchase a service that would cost about as much as my monthly energy bill in order to watch the Zag games. Now, maybe thatís ok! Maybe GU isnít all that invested in its far-flung alumni watching games. I admit, I and people like me account for a small part of the audience. But again, coming on the heels of last year, itís very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Fair enough. I speak for myself, I am more than willing to pay for some sort of online or cable coverage. A dedicated app or link, for example, behind a pay wall. But I should not have to tear out my whole cable set-up to do so. But, bigger picture, so to speak, shouldn't the school/Roth be interested in casting a wider net for their product, on which they spend millions. This hiding under your light the basket is way old.
    Hear, hear.

I do pay something. I pay for live-TV streaming service (Sling) which gets me ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3. Last year, that plus watchstadium got me access to pretty much everything. The deal with regional cable companies (att sports net, ROOT, CBSSPORTS) is what would make the leap from a manageable cost to a ridiculous cost.

In case it has not been mentioned here...…..AT&T Sports Net (Denver) has listed a replay of the game tonight at 8 pm MT