Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs North Dakota Post game analysis and your insights

Default Gonzaga vs North Dakota Post game analysis and your insights

Gonzaga 97
    North Dakota 66

A good victory. Six players in double figures. I like how we are passing the ball around. Kispert led the scoring with 20 and Petrusive with 19. Watson had 15 Timme 16 on 8-10 shooting. Gilder and Ayayi each contributed ten points. Petrusive had 15 rebounds, Woolridge and Watson with 8 each. Nice job guys. The Zags shot 57.7% from the field and 43% from beyond the 3 point line. Kispert shot 3-6 and Ayayi 2-4. Great Ninja shooting you two. Zags only committed ten turnovers so that was good.

Petrusive could have gotten 30 if the Zags had wanted that. He was just big and too tall for North Dakota. Watson is smooth, Timme is pretty clumsy, but dang he somehow finds the basket and gets it in (8-10 shooting).

IMO The Zags have a lot of work to do on the defense. I've watched a couple of games by top 10 teams and their defense seemed much tougher than Gonzaga's. So far I don't see any tough guys inside. Timme is pretty tough and has the body to be a force on D, but he just doesn't have the footwork at all, or knowledge or instincts. He could also be a better rebounder. The Zags seem to lose their man often, and seem to deep in the middle and left North Dakota wide open for a lot of 3 point shots. I didn't like the spacing on defense, and maybe because we are not tough enough down low we need our wings playing off their men and in a helping position on the inside.

I'm getting tired of seeing Gonzaga shoot mostly layups or 2,3, 4 foot shots. Kispert is the only player who I have seen shoot a mid-range pull-up jump shot. Woolridge goes to the hoop almost 100% of the time. And imo he does it way too often. I don't see him being a passer/assist man that I feel we need from our point guard. I like how Ayayi, Kispert and Watson pass. I am most impressed with these guys making good, solid passes to the post. I hate to say it, but I am not impressed with Gilder at all so far, neither on offense or defense. He got beat time after time after time by that North Dakota point guard. I heard so much about his tough defense. I sure haven't seen it yet. Petrusive did a real good job passing out of the double team the second half, and I thought that that was really good for this early in the year. He is looking very, very good. Much better than I thought he'd be. I thought he'd be an outside shooter, but he's a darn good post player.

I like Watson's game. He's unselfish. No ego. He works hard and is constantly moving. He's a good passer and seems to constantly looks for an open player to get the ball too. Kispert too.

Yes. I'm being picky. I know we got 97 points, but the way we are playing now will not be the same against Texas A&M. One thing that does look good is our fast break and pace. We are playing at a very fast pace and I wonder if teams will be ready for that this early in the year.

That's a rap. Have a good night and a great day tomorrow.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I think that those are fairly good assessments. From what little the WCC stream let me see... I just haven't seen the level of toughness yet. This team needs to get far hungrier on both ends of the court
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I'm surprised at the relative lack of rebounding from Drew. He averaged 15 boards a game during high school, but he was on the court the entire game. I think he's just adjusting to coming off the bench, and playing against more seasoned players. I still think he'll be our leading rebounder this year.

Drew's shown a very deft touch in the paint. He and Filip are going to be a handful for opponents.

Least of my worries this year is foul trouble.

Not surprised by Ayayi's performances. He's been in the program two years, and you can readily see his growth and maturity.

After Geno's performance last year, I'm not buying into the hype regarding graduate transfers. Gilder's been playing matador defense, while Woolridge plays more out of control than Geno did, and that's saying something. They're going to have to step up their play, as the level of competition increases for a team that expects to make the Sweet Sixteen every year. There has been no such expectation at University of North Texas or Texas A&M. As the year progresses, I expect to see Joel on the court more than Woolridge.

Corey's really stepped up this year (so far), he's become a leader on the court for us. All we need is for Killian to get, and stay, healthy.

I've been impressed with Filip's growth from last year. All we need now is to improve on our free throw shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I think that those are fairly good assessments. From what little the WCC stream let me see... I just haven't seen the level of toughness yet. This team needs to get far hungrier on both ends of the court
    I think it's time to flood the switchboard at the WCC main office and burn up their lines over the lack of a quality stream.

Loved the rebounding this game. There was always a crowd of white shirts circling every defensive board.

Watson was left all alone, and refused to shoot. Does he not have range?

I am not looking what I'm seeing defensively. Hopefully some of it is effort in a blowout.

This team is still looking like they did the first two games. Not a lot of method....just up and down. I'm glad they're winning but it won't last long against teams that play disciplined ball. Individuals are doing well but the team component needs lots of work.

Thanks, Reborn. I always enjoy your post-game analyses.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn’t Woolridge lead the team in assists?

Man, I see a team this is really, really new (not necessarily young, but new) and trying to figure things out as a TEAM. It takes time in game situations to figure some of this stuff out. They'll get better as the year goes on.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Thanks, Reborn. I always enjoy your post-game analyses.
    Your welcome. I'm glad I can still contribute some.

Go Zags!!!

not sure why anyone is complaining about woolridge and his drives...his entire game is based off that, otherwise he might as well just bring the ball up the court and take a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    not sure why anyone is complaining about woolridge and his drives...his entire game is based off that, otherwise he might as well just bring the ball up the court and take a seat.
    He misses a lot. He does get to the line though, and is a good foul shooter. But we also need him or a point guard to pass. There is a reason the point guard is called a quarterback. Anyway. Good question.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I think it's time to flood the switchboard at the WCC main office and burn up their lines over the lack of a quality stream.
    Called the office last night, let them know in a tactful way ( via voicemail) that the feed is just awful. Not only do you get to watch the lovely circle of death! It puts such a negitive spin on the advertising. Makes me want to hate Arby's and that guy with the white dinner jacket!

Living abroad, that is how I watch most of Gonzaga games. Via thew.tv for the last several years. I don't remember the stream ever being as bad as this season.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

I think Roth should be swamped. In the past he's been responsive and we are after all GU fans. The WCC could not care less, clearly. Where are all the millions that GU earns for the league each year? Put some bucks in supporting your cash cow, why don't ya. We need a free-standing, GU app for the non net games.......period. Call it the Cupcake App......for fattening up interest.

I'm not so worried about Woolridge. He didn't have a good game but has been playing well. This wasn't really a guard's game, because it seemed like GU focused on working the advantage in the post and using big-to-big passing.

I was happy to see Gilder have a few fall early. He has been scoring late in the game when it didn't matter. Against good teams, we will need early contributions.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried too Reborn. However, with the double AAs coming off the bench (Ayayi and Arlauskas) I'm pretty confident in our guard situation. Arlauskas has a motor and bb smarts. I think both he and Joel will see more and more floor time. With Tillie back our bench even gets deeper. The Zags could rotate 9 this season should Arlauskas keep making the most of the minutes he's getting. The Zags are a bit shaky on teamwork but they're also doing pretty well. They are certainly putting up a lot of points (and even did so in the scrimmage against State). I don't see A&M slowing down the Zags much. And I have a hunch we'll see just how well the Zags can play with Killian in the mix during the next home game on 11/19 (just a guess).
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Yeah, I'm a bit worried too Reborn. However, with the double AAs coming off the bench (Ayayi and Arlauskas) I'm pretty confident in our guard situation. Arlauskas has a motor and bb smarts. I think both he and Joel will see more and more floor time. With Tillie back our bench even gets deeper.
    Thanks for the nice thought. It's true I think. I really like how both of these guys are playing, as well as Timme. It's looking like we're going to have a very good bench. I like Arlauskas' size, and he moves smoothly up and down the court both with and without the ball. Both of them are very good defenders.

I thought there was a significant improvement.....I really like the way they push the ball on offense....in transition...…and pass the ball..

They looked more athletic to me..... so I am optimistic that they can become a good defensive team.....A&M will be a better test...

I was hoping Tillie would play some before the road trip....

Unfortunately due to work I missed the game. Reports seem all over the spectrum. I've heard Woolridge was a stud and controlled the tempo and I've heard he laid an egg. Looking at the box score it seemed he underperformed. What was the good and bad of the game....?
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Unfortunately due to work I missed the game. Reports seem all over the spectrum. I've heard Woolridge was a stud and controlled the tempo and I've heard he laid an egg. Looking at the box score it seemed he underperformed. What was the good and bad of the game....?
    I need to re-watch again, but my takeaway was that NDSU was a notch up from the other games in difficulty. They had some great shooters and a super active guard that was quite crafty so that changed the dynamic a bit and exposed a few things the Zags need to work on, mostly defense.
    CK, Petro and Watson were money in the bank as usual and had a great game. Timme struggled a bit maybe not as aggressive defending against their bigs. He reminded me of freshman KO in that his feet and hands were a tad slow at times. The team came out of the chute like a banshee with fire in their pants but kind of let up and allowed NDSU to get some momentum going for a while. Petro didn't shoot his FT too well which was unusual but otherwise a beast. He is really coming into his game. Joel didn't come away with the ball so much this game as he has been doing but played well. Arlauskas playing with more confidence and indications are he has more promise than I had previously thought. Woolridge and Gilder were a bit behind their previous games IMO.
    Another fast paced game but we're not quite a well oiled machine just yet.
    Hope that helps. I thought Reborn's overview was really good.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Thanks Grizzag and reborn, both great reviews. Guard play will be key so I'm hoping Gilder and Woolridge can find the flow and consistency. Ayayi is very interesting and I want to see what he can do in a more prominent role.

I do agree with Reborn, we settle for layups when we need to dunk or atleast be more aggressive. Athletic bigger teams will eat us up and swat everyhting if we dont fix that soon.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Thanks Grizzag and reborn, both great reviews. Guard play will be key so I'm hoping Gilder and Woolridge can find the flow and consistency. Ayayi is very interesting and I want to see what he can do in a more prominent role.

I do agree with Reborn, we settle for layups when we need to dunk or atleast be more aggressive. Athletic bigger teams will eat us up and swat everyhting if we dont fix that soon.
    Totally agree, we have good post players, skilled and hard working, but the aggressive presence is not there. Sabonis, Karno, KO, Collins... heck even Wiltjer had the in your face mindset. Im sure it will develop with our current crop. Hard to be patient though.

After Geno's performance last year, I'm not buying into the hype regarding graduate transfers. Gilder's been playing matador defense, while Woolridge plays more out of control than Geno did, and that's saying something. They're going to have to step up their play, as the level of competition increases for a team that expects to make the Sweet Sixteen every year. There has been no such expectation at University of North Texas or Texas A&M. As the year progresses, I expect to see Joel on the court more than Woolridge.
    Totally agree here too. I have never been a huge fan of grad transfers although Matthews and to an extent Wesley backed me down a little but the hype that comes with them, everyone thinking they are experienced polished super dynamic players... which they are over some 150 ranked raw freshmen, but the grad trasfer also comes in with not necessarily bad habits, just not GU based habits. We are in a very high level system here and expectations are probably too high but you just dont get that feeling of a the day is saved payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    This team is still looking like they did the first two games. Not a lot of method....just up and down. I'm glad they're winning but it won't last long against teams that play disciplined ball. Individuals are doing well but the team component needs lots of work.
    Well stated Abe
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death