View Poll Results: Biggest Surprise This Season?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Admon Gilder

0 0%
  • Drew Timme

2 1.79%
  • Filip Petrusev

7 6.25%
  • Ryan Woolridge

12 10.71%
  • Martynas Arlauskas

1 0.89%
  • Joel Ayayi

71 63.39%
  • Anton Watson

13 11.61%
  • Corey Kispert

2 1.79%
  • Matthew Lang

1 0.89%
  • Other

3 2.68%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biggest Surprise This Season ( So Far )

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Ayayi 7th in MPG, 1st in rebounds at 10 per. #2 is 6.5.
    That's a great stat.

Given the two games and exhibition played so far, I have no opinion yet. I want to see who steps up against Texas A&M. Clearly, Few is focused on getting Ayayi, Petrusev and Watson key minutes with the main rotation. I want to see how they leverage those minutes against higher level competition and see if they meet Few's objectives.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Ayayi 7th in MPG, 1st in rebounds at 10 per. #2 is 6.5.
    That is an amazing stat! Would be curious to see listing of top 5 rebounders ranked by rebounds per minute played. Would be staggering number for Ayayi...
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

I voted for Joel Ayayi..What he has brought to the team coming off the bench so far has been very impressive. We seem to lose kids that don't see much court time and he has developed his game in that time to become a very valuable asset to this team. Watson and Timme are so far advanced for only being freshmen and they both play with a mature confidence. Love Kispert playing so well and becoming the vocal leader on this team. And our two new guards will prove to be great replacement for the talent we lost last season. Go Zags

Quote Originally Posted by allnet59 View Post
    I voted for Joel Ayayi..What he has brought to the team coming off the bench so far has been very impressive. We seem to lose kids that don't see much court time and he has developed his game in that time to become a very valuable asset to this team. Watson and Timme are so far advanced for only being freshmen and they both play with a mature confidence. Love Kispert playing so well and becoming the vocal leader on this team. And our two new guards will prove to be great replacement for the talent we lost last season. Go Zags
    Agree with everything you said!! Wouldn't it be great if the guard position becomes an unanticipated strength for the Zags this season?
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

- went with woolridge, as I was not sure how he would do stepping up a class in league play, and how he was going to bounce back from a knee injury.
    - ayayi, I get it, wow, but he tore up the u-18 or 19 tourney we was in this summer, first team all star. knew he had talent, could he make it translate to coach few's game. so far so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Joel! We need depth at the guard positions, and Joel's been hitting 5's, playing good D, making his presence felt. Looks like he needs reps in attacking the basket & other stuff near the basket, but this fan's really happy with his play, expects steady growth going forward.

:]
    Kidwell, I'm also impressed with Joel this year...…

Actually the whole country should be if he can score a 5 with one shot...!

Ayayi: I wouldn't say surprise, but I would say the one I'm happiest about. Really good to see him maturing. I am surprised that he's such a good rebounder. Great instincts on the court, and super awareness. Look forward to seeing him play more.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I believed that Ayayi would surprise many but I am not surprised after watching him play for France for the last two summers. I was also confident in Watson’s abilities.

Ryan Woolridge surprises me. He’s key to this season’s success.
    Parlez-vous français?

Joel and Filip, 1 and 1(a). Battle in Atlantis will tell us a lot about the "ceiling" of this edition of Zags MBB.

the biggest surprise for me is that Zacharov is not getting more minutes, for he is highly thought of on the ranking agencies. His body seems strong and coordinated to me, perhaps a project like Rui or KO were, but still very talented.

Joel Ayayi made a huge leap from Year Two to Year Three - reminiscent of Kelly Olynyk or Rui Hachimura.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

I voted Kispert. His production on offense is not something I was anticipating, especially his play around the rim. He's on pace to be >50% of the top 10 highlight reel moments this year. Keep dunking young man!!!!!

So far it reminds me a lot of Richie Frahm's junior year - as a sophomore he was almost strictly a spot up shooter. His Jr. year was different, he made a concerted effort to get to the basket and had some RIDICULOUS dunks. His took his game to another level that year and I'm hoping we are seeing the same thing from CK.

Ayayi's play is probably 2nd - I hope that keeps up as the schedule gets tougher. We'll need guards to make buckets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Watson is ahead of Olynyk, Sabonis , Daye and others at same point. Crazy.

I voted Ayayi, but there could be a point for many of our players.
    Kispert for the hustle, rebounding, taking the open 3s and drives.
    Watson and Timme for the maturity at such a young age.
    Petrusev has been showing that he is more aggressive this year. As we get to stronger competition I hope that this continu s.
    Our 2 new guards for being able to mold into this team very quickly.

I think that as the season goes the freshmen, the existing players and them are going to learn to play great team ball. Now they are all playing with super individual play on both ends of the court. They all impressed me with their unselfishness