View Poll Results: Biggest Surprise This Season?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Admon Gilder

0 0%
  • Drew Timme

2 1.79%
  • Filip Petrusev

7 6.25%
  • Ryan Woolridge

12 10.71%
  • Martynas Arlauskas

1 0.89%
  • Joel Ayayi

71 63.39%
  • Anton Watson

13 11.61%
  • Corey Kispert

2 1.79%
  • Matthew Lang

1 0.89%
  • Other

3 2.68%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Surprise This Season ( So Far )

Default Biggest Surprise This Season ( So Far )

With so many new faces on the roster for GU this season, which player has been the biggest surprise for you in this very young season?

Great question, ZZ!

Ayayi. His confidence has gone through the roof. While our new starting backcourt has impressed, once Joel subs on, there's no drop-off at PG. He's damn sneaky, and has been collecting boards under the basket at a ridiculous rate. He's had some seriously aggressive defenders all over him, and I'm really surprised at how he's casually brushed them off his shoulder in close quarters.

I pretty much have watched every minute of his play as a Zag, and I'm blown away at his improvement this year.

Can't say enough how impressed I am with him so far this year.

I'll also add that Watson is second in my estimation. Kid is mentally serious about his basketball play. Really impressed at his poise as a freshman. No silly mistakes, even pays close attention on the bench at what's going on on the court. I see him as Matt Bouldin II in the way he handles himself maturely for his age. No showing off, just sawing wood.

Ask me in 3 weeks...

Watty is terrific. Far better than I expected. If he’s not a 5 star then no one is. I’d say Petro is next, but I thought he showed great potential last yr.

The biggest surprise so far this year was SMC losing to Winthrop at home!!!

BUT regarding player performance, I thought Woolridge has delivered more than I expected...granted we haven't "played anyone" as of yet but his ability to make the inside pass when penetrating is what I hoped for but didn't think he would be so dynamic at it...

I felt both Joel and Filip were going to play as well as they have and yes, Watson is also a pleasant surprise but Ryan has so far exceeded what I expected.

I agree SMC losing to Winthorp home or away is a shocker! Cant take any team for granted.
    I would say the biggest suprise for me would Wol and Watson.
    I had know idea Watson was that strong,skilled and athletic. I knew he was very good but he is clearly at a diffrent level.
    And the speed that Wol plays with in transition, the level of body control he has (Wow)!! I knew or thought he would be a good defender and he doesn't look shy shooting the 3. I think anyting over 65% at the line would be great.
    Joel & Pet. didn't suprise me. They both played well in in the U19 against the better teams. I know the U19 can be a bit misleading at times because some of the teams would be comparable to low end div 1.
    Last edited by FloridaZagFan; 11-12-2019 at 06:42 AM.

I voted for Anton Watson. I knew he would be good, but I didn't realize that he was this good. I think he has already earned a starting spot, so what do we do when Killian Tillie comes back?
    UNITED WE ZAG !!

My guess is Tillie comes in as a back up for about 2 games at the beginning
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I voted for Anton Watson. I knew he would be good, but I didn't realize that he was this good. I think he has already earned a starting spot, so what do we do when Killian Tillie comes back?
    Nice problem to have to deal with.
    6'10 sharp shooter that can play 4 or 5 on defence and 3-5 on offence. I definitely think this team is good but it needs Killian. Not only can he shoot the 3 at 6'10 but he passes the ball so well.
    I guess he would come off the bench at first, im sure he has to get his legs back.

I voted for Timme.

He has been consistent. Just his motor and work ethic. A blue collar kind of player.

I love Watson, and Ayayi as well.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I haven't been very surprised by our players on the court, honestly. I've been more surprised by the players we are missing.

Anton Watson got my vote. Not many freshman have come through the Zags program and looked this solid this early. Ayayi was my bold prediction for a double double coming off the bench. Clearly looks like it wasn't that BOLD now. Close second in my voting

Go Zags.. Beat ND!

I had seen the others so I was surprised and pleased to see how solid Woolridge is.....

I voted for Ayayi, but honestly the biggest surprise has been Ravet

Smile Joel

Joel! We need depth at the guard positions, and Joel's been hitting 5's, playing good D, making his presence felt. Looks like he needs reps in attacking the basket & other stuff near the basket, but this fan's really happy with his play, expects steady growth going forward.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I didnt know what to expect so its all been good. Joel continuing his play from the summer is awesome and I hoped it would happen. Not having Ballo kind of stinks as none of the posts seem to be "bangers" that have the sheer presence or muscle to push their way in. Woolridge not being 100% is also kinda crappy because he is dang good and I didnt know what to expect. Watson is as good as advertised but I think he will get much, much better. I havent seen Timme good naturedly trash talk anyone like he did in high school yet so thats maybe my surprise so far lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    I didnt know what to expect so its all been good. Joel continuing his play from the summer is awesome and I hoped it would happen. Not having Ballo kind of stinks as none of the posts seem to be "bangers" that have the sheer presence or muscle to push their way in. Woolridge not being 100% is also kinda crappy because he is dang good and I didnt know what to expect. Watson is as good as advertised but I think he will get much, much better. I havent seen Timme good naturedly trash talk anyone like he did in high school yet so thats maybe my surprise so far lol.
    not having Ballo biggest surprise for me....the kid just turned 17 in July and weighs 40 lbs more than Tillie with a 7'6" wingspan...I won't be surprised if he gets drafted next year.

Yeah I didnt expect him to play much but a back up that can bang behind Petrusev would have been a pretty solid addition

Ayayi 7th in MPG, 1st in rebounds at 10 per. #2 is 6.5.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Need a few more weeks to know. As of now Watson and Ayayi tie!

I haven't gone back and checked the stats, but so far the biggest surprise to me is that Zakharov has hit a 3 while Petrusev has not. I'm not opposed to Petrusev shooting from deep, but it would be nice to see a couple go in for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    not having Ballo biggest surprise for me....the kid just turned 17 in July and weighs 40 lbs more than Tillie with a 7'6" wingspan...I won't be surprised if he gets drafted next year.
    I would be more than surprised if Ballo gets drafted next year - because he is not eligible for the draft - he is too young.

I narrowed it down to 3 before deciding. Second runner-up was Petro. We knew he'd be good but he's been outstanding so far. First runner-up was Watson. He looks to have it all - intelligence, skill & athleticism (or at least length). I ended up voting for Ayayi. U19 or not, we all had our doubts, since he didn't get much playing time last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Club Prez View Post
    I would be more than surprised if Ballo gets drafted next year - because he is not eligible for the draft - he is too young.
    Don't forget.....Europe Australia Asia )

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    I haven't gone back and checked the stats, but so far the biggest surprise to me is that Zakharov has hit a 3 while Petrusev has not. I'm not opposed to Petrusev shooting from deep, but it would be nice to see a couple go in for him.
    That was a fun play. He pivoted and pump faked the ball for several seconds looking for someone to pass to, gave up, then... bombs away.