X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Thanks Reno. Always enjoy seeing how they voted.

The guy from Lansing has the Zags ranked the lowest. Don't begrudge him that; he saw a butt-kickin'.
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Also #6 in the Coaches poll: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ll/rankings/_/

Comment

• Kiddwell
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Kind of thought we'd stay put. Nice to see us rising to #6. UW, IMO, shouldn't have been dropped for their close loss. If we can take care of biz v. Arizona then UNC, we've a strong likelihood of attaining another #1 ranking some time this season. Then if we hang in with that ranking, the NCAA's gotta award us a #1 Seed. First, though, gotta win, win.

:]
        Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• Hoopaholic
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
          Kind of thought we'd stay put. Nice to see us rising to #6. UW, IMO, shouldn't have been dropped for their close loss. If we can take care of biz v. Arizona then UNC, we've a strong likelihood of attaining another #1 ranking some time this season. Then if we hang in with that ranking, the NCAA's gotta award us a #1 Seed. First, though, gotta win, win.

:]
          love the enthusiasm but there is a long winding road full of obstacles ahead stay the course, continue to improve, continue to gel and continue to improve on defense and it can be so
          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
            • Feb 2007

Yep... this is not a year to take the WCC for granted.
            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Markburn1
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
              Yep... this is not a year to take the WCC for granted.
              You may be right, but I gotta tell ya, the only one that really seems to be a threat is BYU because of Child’s. I thought maybe St. Mary’s would have been more of a threat because of experience but the Zags are not a good matchup for them position by position. A couple teams in the league can score but I really don’t see anybody slowing Gonzaga’s offense down except for the Zags shooting poorly.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2007

BYU is good. And getting better.

Been impressed both games I've watched

They should have won the two games they lost too.

They dominated Va Tech, and competed mightily vs Kansas.

Legit squad capable of really beating anyone.

Big guards, sharp shooters, 2 BIG post presences, and a really good upcoming nifty coach.

Will be neck n neck to win the WCC this yr imo.

Watch out for USF, Pepp, SMC, etc too

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
                  Kind of thought we'd stay put. Nice to see us rising to #6. UW, IMO, shouldn't have been dropped for their close loss. If we can take care of biz v. Arizona then UNC, we've a strong likelihood of attaining another #1 ranking some time this season. Then if we hang in with that ranking, the NCAA's gotta award us a #1 Seed. First, though, gotta win, win.:]
                  even in a down year overall, really don't feel this team would be worthy of a #1 ranking...even a #1 seed is questionable. Sure, there's a lot of season left and a lot of room for improvement, but imo the ceiling is more an elite-eight level team...just don't think the defense can become good enough...doesn't mean they can't make the final four or more, but realistically...

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                    You may be right, but I gotta tell ya, the only one that really seems to be a threat is BYU because of Child’s. I thought maybe St. Mary’s would have been more of a threat because of experience but the Zags are not a good matchup for them position by position. A couple teams in the league can score but I really don’t see anybody slowing Gonzaga’s offense down except for the Zags shooting poorly.
                    I watched the St Mary's game vs Dayton, and they didn't look good.

The announcers said that when Dayton shut down Ford, the shut down the Gaels.
                    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• RenoZag
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

CBS' Gary Parrish' take on the latest AP Poll includes this:

Which brings me to Brian Holland.

He's the sports director at the NBC affiliate in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I'm sure he's great. But no matter your approach to ranking teams, there is no defensible way to have eight teams in front of Ohio State on a ballot right now. Regardless, Holland has eight teams in front of Ohio State on his ballot right now. One of them is the Virginia team that has two fewer top-25 KenPom wins, and a 29-point loss to Purdue, on its resume. So that's weird. Another one of them is the Duke team that has a home loss to Stephen F. Austin on its resume. So that's weird. Another one of them is the Kentucky team that has a home loss to Evansville on its resume. So that's weird. And another one of them is the Michigan State team that's 6-3.

That's the weirdest.
                      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

December 16 Update - Zags # 2

From the AP: https://apnews.com/79cb2ea72323c4871a03d8cff6b87b26

It is Kansas’ turn at No. 1 in the Top 25 men’s college basketball poll, while another blueblood — North Carolina — is out for the first time in nearly six years.

The Jayhawks (9-1) moved up one spot to become the fifth team to top the poll in an already wild season. It is the first time the AP poll has had five different No. 1s before New Year’s Day; the record for an entire season is seven, set in 1982-83.
                        Gonzaga (11-1) jumped four spots to No. 2 and earned 15 first-place votes, followed by last week’s No. 1 Louisville falling to third after losing to Texas Tech. Duke rose three spots to fourth, followed by Ohio State falling two spots to No. 5 after a loss at Minnesota.

Kentucky, Maryland, Oregon, reigning national champion Virginia and Baylor round out the top 10.

RISING

San Diego State (10-0) had the week’s biggest jump, rising five spots to No. 20. In all, 13 teams moved up from last week’s poll, most by one or two spots.

SLIDING

Michigan (8-3) had the biggest slide of the week, falling nine spots to No. 14 after losses to Illinois and in overtime to Oregon. The Wolverines were unranked to start the season but shot up to No. 4 after winning the Thanksgiving-week Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas.

Six teams slid in this week’s poll overall.
                        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Reborn
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Good to see Washington still in top 25 at 22, Arizona at 16, North Carolina at 26, and St Mary's and even BYU in the also mentioned section. WCC should be much tougher this year, which is really good.

Go Zags!!!
                          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• zagdontzig
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                            Good to see Washington still in top 25 at 22, Arizona at 16, North Carolina at 26, and St Mary's and even BYU in the also mentioned section. WCC should be much tougher this year, which is really good.

Go Zags!!!
                            I'm now a PAC12 fan. Feels like a very flat year though.
                            Originally posted by Reborn
                            Go Zags!!!
                            Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• Zagdawg
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

The Inlander
                              @TheInlander
                              · Dec 9
                              ZAGS: Who is Gonzaga's true rival for hoops supremacy in the West? https://buff.ly/350SH1n

Genos response.........

G-Muhneyy
                              @genocrandall
                              The Gonzaga scout team.

Comment

• webspinnre
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                                The Inlander
                                @TheInlander
                                · Dec 9
                                ZAGS: Who is Gonzaga's true rival for hoops supremacy in the West? https://buff.ly/350SH1n

Genos response.........

G-Muhneyy
                                @genocrandall
                                The Gonzaga scout team.
                                Love it. That a boy, Geno.
                                I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

Working...
                                X