Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The AP Poll Thread

If beating Gonzaga in December propels a team to top 5 status, it tells you a lot about the respect they give to beating a Gonzaga, and by extension, UNC.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Default Zags #6 in AP Poll

https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll

Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    9m
    Zags move up to sixth. Arizona No. 15, North Carolina falls 10 spots to 17

I’m surprised we actually passed kentucky. Very cool. We sit with two nice resume building wins. Would like to add to that on Saturday
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I’m surprised we actually passed kentucky. Very cool. We sit with two nice resume building wins. Would like to add to that on Saturday
    I would have been shocked if we didn't............that Evansville loss (Evanston??) will hang like an anchor around their neck all season, as it should. Just like the Puke loss to SFA.....................

However, I didn't think we would jump all the way to #6. That IS very cool.

Go ZAGS

Weekly Poll Tracker: https://www.collegepolltracker.com/b...-bulldogs/2019

Seth Davis is one of three voters ranking GU in the 4th position. Dookie V has them at 8th. John Feinstein pegs them at 10th.

Thanks Reno. Always enjoy seeing how they voted.

The guy from Lansing has the Zags ranked the lowest. Don't begrudge him that; he saw a butt-kickin'.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Smile

Kind of thought we'd stay put. Nice to see us rising to #6. UW, IMO, shouldn't have been dropped for their close loss. If we can take care of biz v. Arizona then UNC, we've a strong likelihood of attaining another #1 ranking some time this season. Then if we hang in with that ranking, the NCAA's gotta award us a #1 Seed. First, though, gotta win, win.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Kind of thought we'd stay put. Nice to see us rising to #6. UW, IMO, shouldn't have been dropped for their close loss. If we can take care of biz v. Arizona then UNC, we've a strong likelihood of attaining another #1 ranking some time this season. Then if we hang in with that ranking, the NCAA's gotta award us a #1 Seed. First, though, gotta win, win.

:]
    love the enthusiasm but there is a long winding road full of obstacles ahead stay the course, continue to improve, continue to gel and continue to improve on defense and it can be so
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Yep... this is not a year to take the WCC for granted.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Yep... this is not a year to take the WCC for granted.
    You may be right, but I gotta tell ya, the only one that really seems to be a threat is BYU because of Child’s. I thought maybe St. Mary’s would have been more of a threat because of experience but the Zags are not a good matchup for them position by position. A couple teams in the league can score but I really don’t see anybody slowing Gonzaga’s offense down except for the Zags shooting poorly.

BYU is good. And getting better.

Been impressed both games I've watched

They should have won the two games they lost too.

They dominated Va Tech, and competed mightily vs Kansas.

Legit squad capable of really beating anyone.

Big guards, sharp shooters, 2 BIG post presences, and a really good upcoming nifty coach.

Will be neck n neck to win the WCC this yr imo.

Watch out for USF, Pepp, SMC, etc too

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Kind of thought we'd stay put. Nice to see us rising to #6. UW, IMO, shouldn't have been dropped for their close loss. If we can take care of biz v. Arizona then UNC, we've a strong likelihood of attaining another #1 ranking some time this season. Then if we hang in with that ranking, the NCAA's gotta award us a #1 Seed. First, though, gotta win, win.:]
    even in a down year overall, really don't feel this team would be worthy of a #1 ranking...even a #1 seed is questionable. Sure, there's a lot of season left and a lot of room for improvement, but imo the ceiling is more an elite-eight level team...just don't think the defense can become good enough...doesn't mean they can't make the final four or more, but realistically...

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    You may be right, but I gotta tell ya, the only one that really seems to be a threat is BYU because of Child’s. I thought maybe St. Mary’s would have been more of a threat because of experience but the Zags are not a good matchup for them position by position. A couple teams in the league can score but I really don’t see anybody slowing Gonzaga’s offense down except for the Zags shooting poorly.
    I watched the St Mary's game vs Dayton, and they didn't look good.

The announcers said that when Dayton shut down Ford, the shut down the Gaels.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

CBS' Gary Parrish' take on the latest AP Poll includes this:

Which brings me to Brian Holland.

He's the sports director at the NBC affiliate in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I'm sure he's great. But no matter your approach to ranking teams, there is no defensible way to have eight teams in front of Ohio State on a ballot right now. Regardless, Holland has eight teams in front of Ohio State on his ballot right now. One of them is the Virginia team that has two fewer top-25 KenPom wins, and a 29-point loss to Purdue, on its resume. So that's weird. Another one of them is the Duke team that has a home loss to Stephen F. Austin on its resume. So that's weird. Another one of them is the Kentucky team that has a home loss to Evansville on its resume. So that's weird. And another one of them is the Michigan State team that's 6-3.

That's the weirdest.

Default December 16 Update - Zags # 2

From the AP: https://apnews.com/79cb2ea72323c4871a03d8cff6b87b26

It is Kansas’ turn at No. 1 in the Top 25 men’s college basketball poll, while another blueblood — North Carolina — is out for the first time in nearly six years.

The Jayhawks (9-1) moved up one spot to become the fifth team to top the poll in an already wild season. It is the first time the AP poll has had five different No. 1s before New Year’s Day; the record for an entire season is seven, set in 1982-83.
    Gonzaga (11-1) jumped four spots to No. 2 and earned 15 first-place votes, followed by last week’s No. 1 Louisville falling to third after losing to Texas Tech. Duke rose three spots to fourth, followed by Ohio State falling two spots to No. 5 after a loss at Minnesota.

Kentucky, Maryland, Oregon, reigning national champion Virginia and Baylor round out the top 10.

RISING

San Diego State (10-0) had the week’s biggest jump, rising five spots to No. 20. In all, 13 teams moved up from last week’s poll, most by one or two spots.

SLIDING

Michigan (8-3) had the biggest slide of the week, falling nine spots to No. 14 after losses to Illinois and in overtime to Oregon. The Wolverines were unranked to start the season but shot up to No. 4 after winning the Thanksgiving-week Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas.

Six teams slid in this week’s poll overall.

Good to see Washington still in top 25 at 22, Arizona at 16, North Carolina at 26, and St Mary's and even BYU in the also mentioned section. WCC should be much tougher this year, which is really good.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Good to see Washington still in top 25 at 22, Arizona at 16, North Carolina at 26, and St Mary's and even BYU in the also mentioned section. WCC should be much tougher this year, which is really good.

Go Zags!!!
    I'm now a PAC12 fan. Feels like a very flat year though.

The Inlander
    @TheInlander
    · Dec 9
    ZAGS: Who is Gonzaga's true rival for hoops supremacy in the West? https://buff.ly/350SH1n

Genos response.........

G-Muhneyy
    @genocrandall
    The Gonzaga scout team.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    The Inlander
    @TheInlander
    · Dec 9
    ZAGS: Who is Gonzaga's true rival for hoops supremacy in the West? https://buff.ly/350SH1n

Genos response.........

G-Muhneyy
    @genocrandall
    The Gonzaga scout team.
    Love it. That a boy, Geno.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Coaches poll also has the Zags at #2: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ll/rankings/_/

Am really surprised they jumped that high.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Am really surprised they jumped that high.
    I dont feel we are the #2 team in college hoops, yet we do deserve it at this point in the season.

Tbh, we have a better resume than Kansas, who has yet to play an actual road game.

Default Weekly Poll Tracker - 12/16

https://www.collegepolltracker.com/b...-bulldogs/2019

John Feinstein moved GU from #10 last week to #1, joining 14 other voters who ranked GU #1.

Seth Davis, Rob Dauster, Jon Rothstein, and Dickie V are among the 37 voters who pegged the Zags in the #2 position

FWIW: The college poll tracker website lists the GUB (and provides a link to same ) as the Gonzaga " Message Board."

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

How can Puke possibly be #4, after that embarrassing loss at Cameron to SFA.

Wow, just Wow....................

Go ZAGS