Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The AP Poll Thread

Meh. Baylor can enjoy the #1 curse for a while. They won't keep that spot for long. Good defense, but offense is shaky at times. We're still ahead of all the blue bloods, and have been for the last 4 weeks. Just slightly under the radar now (as if we weren't at #1 without much media coverage). Doesn't change our schedule, or our seeding potential, or the way our guys play. Like Few said, he doesn't much care. Zags have the most wins in the nation, have zero bad losses, and they will have a gaudy record come March. I'm far more excited about this team than I was last summer. Keep shoring up the defense, and we'll be fine. Offense is off the charts already.

It's all about perspective. Keep sawing wood.

I learned that the number one ranking meant more to me than I thought it did— you don’t realize how often they mention “number one team in America” during a broadcast until it is a phrase that grates on your ears like fingers on a chalkboard every time you hear it.

(I’m fine with Baylor being #1, but not when the Zags hadn’t lost that week and actually beat better opponents)
    Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 01-21-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Baylor leapfrogging Gonzaga in the beauty contest that is the AP poll has three components
    Major injustice.
    Not surprising
    A good thing.

First on the injustice. Gonzaga went out and blew out two good opponents and was dropped in the polls for a team whose only loss came at the hands of UDub on a neutral court. The same team GU beat at their place. So, to leapfrog is to ignore one of the most telling features. Yes, Baylor has the better wins, but they have the worse loss with a direct comparison.

Second, it is not a surprise. The AP poll is mostly middle-aged men who make their living on speculations, opinions, pretend expertise and have no accountability for their predictions and speculations. They, for the most part, live on the East Coast and most don’t bother to stay up to watch the Zags play. They usually have a beat covering their local teams and don’t pay attention to the WCC or the Zags outside of the game GU plays a national power.

Finally, it is a good thing. It will keep GU hungry. While Few, for good reason, does not care about the beauty contest, the players probably will feel disrespected and use it to continue to grow. The AP voters offer the Zags a gift for motivation. Let us hope they use it.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by titopoet View Post
    Baylor leapfrogging Gonzaga in the beauty contest that is the AP poll has three components
    Major injustice.
    Not surprising
    A good thing.

First on the injustice. Gonzaga went out and blew out two good opponents and was dropped in the polls for a team whose only loss came at the hands of UDub on a neutral court. The same team GU beat at their place. So, to leapfrog is to ignore one of the most telling features. Yes, Baylor has the better wins, but they have the worse loss with a direct comparison.

Second, it is not a surprise. The AP poll is mostly middle-aged men who make their living on speculations, opinions, pretend expertise and have no accountability for their predictions and speculations. They, for the most part, live on the East Coast and most don’t bother to stay up to watch the Zags play. They usually have a beat covering their local teams and don’t pay attention to the WCC or the Zags outside of the game GU plays a national power.

Finally, it is a good thing. It will keep GU hungry. While Few, for good reason, does not care about the beauty contest, the players probably will feel disrespected and use it to continue to grow. The AP voters offer the Zags a gift for motivation. Let us hope they use it.
    Fourth component. It’s a lot harder to get back to #1 than it is to rise organically for the first time. Too many blue bloods floating around, being boosted by those middle age men who can neither spell Spokane nor have ever seen the Zags play on TV much less in person.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Fourth component. It’s a lot harder to get back to #1 than it is to rise organically for the first time. Too many blue bloods floating around, being boosted by those middle age men who can neither spell Spokane nor have ever seen the Zags play on TV much less in person.

I hope it just adds "fuel to the fire" for the Zags. Lets go out and throttle absolutely everyone the rest of the way...next up Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    I hope it just adds "fuel to the fire" for the Zags. Lets go out and throttle absolutely everyone the rest of the way...next up Pacific
    Zags just can't win with the critics outside of Spokane, if they clobber Pacific by 50, they will say our conference sucks, if we win by 5 they say Zags are over rated. It won't change until Zags are in the Final 4 for 5 straight years and win at least one championship.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    Zags just can't win with the critics outside of Spokane, if they clobber Pacific by 50, they will say our conference sucks, if we win by 5 they say Zags are over rated. It won't change until Zags are in the Final 4 for 5 straight years and win at least one championship.
    Agree...but lets keep hammering everyone

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    There’s a millennial voter from the Dallas Morning News, whose name is Sam Blum. On Monday, he was blasted by Gary Parrish for leaving Michigan State off his ballot. I’ll keep updating him on the progress of the 3 North Texans playing for the Zags.

Local sports talk is worthless, unless you eat, breathe, and fart football. Nonstop conversation on the Senior Bowl this week.

With Washington and Michigan falling out of the top 25, I could see the #2 ranking IF Baylor had won 20 games.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    There’s a millennial voter from the Dallas Morning News, whose name is Sam Blum. On Monday, he was blasted by Gary Parrish for leaving Michigan State off his ballot. I’ll keep updating him on the progress of the 3 North Texans playing for the Zags.

Local sports talk is worthless, unless you eat, breathe, and fart football. Nonstop conversation on the Senior Bowl this week.
    Was he the ###### who didn’t vote for Derek Jeter, Number 2, Derek Jeter?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    Will the national narrative be __?__:
    a) Zags are throttling everybody, they must be better than we thought
    b) Zags are throttling everybody, the WCC must be worse than we thought

Stunning poll really. Their keynote win was Kansas the #3 ranked team. That apparently was the logic. Too bad UNC is struggling so much. Also UW dive hurts as well. Keep winning Zags.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

On the BYU Board. Thought it was kinda' clever:

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=23038018
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

That was genius, thanks for linking.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Default January 27 Poll Result (Week 13 )

1. Baylor - 44 1st Place Votes . (1578 pts)
    2. Gonzaga - 19 1st Place Votes (1552 pts )
    3. Kansas - 1 1st Place Vote (1434 pts)
    4. San Diego State - (1408 pts)
    5. Florida State
    6. Louisville
    7. Dayton
    8. Villanova
    9. Duke
    10. Seton Hall
    11. Oregon
    12. West Virginia
    13. Kentucky
    14. Michigan State
    15. Maryland
    16. Butler
    17. Auburn
    18. Iowa
    19. Illinois
    20. Colorado
    21. Houston
    22. LSU
    23. Wichita State
    24. Penn State
    25. Rutgers

Others receiving votes:
    Creighton 59, Arizona 55, Texas Tech 33, Ohio State 16, Indiana 15, East Tennessee State 14, Northern Iowa 13, Memphis 11, USC 9, Rhode Island 6, Purdue 6, Florida 4, Arkansas 3, Saint Mary's 3, Tulsa 3, SMU 3, Wisconsin 1, Akron 1, Harvard 1

Looks like the "Baylor has a better resume" logic has become firmly entrenched. SDSU is creeping up on KU. . .

I won't lie, it irks me. Which is a different thing from saying that it matters.

The boys just need to keep sawing wood to secure that one seed.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Ha! That is a fun one!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

To be ranked #1 in the past you had to

Pass the "Eye test"
    Have a great record
    Have some big wins
    No bad (or home) losses

and now you can add...several opportunities to play good teams.

I think we're way passed the "we don't get respect" mark in our history.

Thus, this doesn't bother me at all, identical records, we're right there, Baylor did have an incredible week when they did.

AND, I continue to think that something that our guys will - with justification - see as a bit of disrespect, keeps up the intensity that much more.

We did allow a Pepperdine team have a shot (that was blocked) to tie us at home.

Our guys are not immune to coasting a bit. No one is.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Week 14 : https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

AP

1. Baylor
    2. Gonzaga
    3. Kansas
    4. San Diego State
    5. Louisville
    6. Dayton
    7. Duke
    8. Florida State
    9. Maryland
    10. Villanova

Others receiving votes: Texas Tech 66, Marquette 31, Ohio State 19, Tulsa 19, Rhode Island 18, Northern Iowa 17, Wichita State 17, BYU 14, Rutgers 12, Stanford 7, Stephen F. Austin 3, Winthrop 1, Yale 1, Michigan 1, Bowling Green 1, Virginia 1

Dropped from rankings: Wichita State 23, Rutgers 25

If you want a good laugh, check out this ballot:

https://collegepolltracker.com/baske...#disqus_thread

My local voter was mostly solid, after leaving Michigan State off last week's ballot, earning him a derisive shout out from one of the columnists at CBS.

Lotta' outliers there, eh TZF?

The comments are great.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

It is good to see a solid pool (10-16) of votes for #1 in both Coaches & AP poles. Some sure think the Zags have merit - besides just us Zag fans.

Now to heal up Tillie, keep him in one piece (rest of team too) and continue to gel.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    If you want a good laugh, check out this ballot:

https://collegepolltracker.com/baske...#disqus_thread

My local voter was mostly solid, after leaving Michigan State off last week's ballot, earning him a derisive shout out from one of the columnists at CBS.
    Jesse Newell has unbeaten San Diego State as his #9 and Arizona (with 6 losses) just 2 ranks lower at #11. The overall AP voting has Arizona 19 ranks lower than SDSU. Guess Jesse picked a bad week to quit snorting horseradish!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    Jesse Newell has unbeaten San Diego State as his #9 and Arizona (with 6 losses) just 2 ranks lower at #11. The overall AP voting has Arizona 19 ranks lower than SDSU. Guess Jesse picked a bad week to quit snorting horseradish!
    Jesse just got torched by Gary Parrish:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...over-kentucky/

Somebody, somewhere, nearly every week, tweets me or texts me or contacts me in some form to ask if I'll focus my soon-to-be-published Poll Attacks column on Jesse Newell's latest ballot. This season, to date, I've just ignored the requests -- mostly because Jesse has developed his own system for ranking teams, a system he's explained many times. And though I disagree with his approach completely, for reasons I'll explain momentarily, it's kind of a waste of time to detail why an AP voter's ballot is nonsensical when the AP voter in question will simply reply by explaining that his nonsensical ballot is actually very sensible, according to his system, even if his system is undeniably ridiculous.

So, again, right or wrong, I've just ignored the requests to date.

But enough is enough.
    Because, on Monday, Jesse was the only AP voter, out of 65 AP voters, who didn't rank Auburn even though Auburn is 19-2 with a win over Kentucky. Bruce Pearl's Tigers are now 2-2 in Quadrant 1 opportunities and 9-2 in Quadrant 1/Quadrant 2 opportunities with zero losses outside of the first quadrant. As somebody who ranks teams literally every morning, let me just tell you, it's impossible to sensibly find 25 teams more deserving of a national ranking than Auburn. And yet Jesse left Auburn completely off of his ballot this week because, best I can tell, there are some predictive models that say Auburn doesn't belong.