Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The AP Poll Thread

If u haven't seen Baylor yet do the first chance u get, the job they did on Kansas was something else,huge D big,tough,nastyand can score.....The Big,Bad,Baylor,Bears are a team I hope we don't meet until the F/4 GO ZAGs

Quote Originally Posted by sullyzag66 View Post
    By a string. Got one fewer vote than Baylor for first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Two things:

1. How does that work?!

2. Washington beat Baylor.
    I also noticed that. Shouldn't we be AP #2 if Baylor got more votes? Also, Baylor just went to TT then KU and beat both teams. That's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I also noticed that. Shouldn't we be AP #2 if Baylor got more votes? Also, Baylor just went to TT then KU and beat both teams. That's incredible.
    Likely that Gonzaga was more often ranked higher than Baylor by the voters who did not have them at No. 1.
    Agent provocateur

Thing is, Baylor will lose again before the Zags do.

Quote Originally Posted by baitcast View Post
    If u haven't seen Baylor yet do the first chance u get, the job they did on Kansas was something else,huge D big,tough,nastyand can score.....The Big,Bad,Baylor,Bears are a team I hope we don't meet until the F/4 GO ZAGs
    Baylor punched Kansas right in the mouth, impressive win IMO.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Our job is to run the table. That’s also Baylor s job. We can do that. Unlikely Baylor will. We are being harassed a bit because of our w c schedule. We lus a few weak performances didn’t help. Defensive weakness is an issue. Remember too, our major victories are n the relative past while Baylor’s are more recent. Our job is simply to continue winning. For some reason Jeff Barcello at ESPN is licking his chops at the thought of a Zag loss. He doesn’t matter. Not if we keep winning. We will.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Poll

The Associated Press Poll (AP Poll) provides weekly rankings of the top 25 NCAA teams in one of three Division I college sports: football, men's basketball and women's basketball. The rankings are compiled by polling 65 sportswriters and broadcasters from across the nation.[1] Each voter provides his own ranking of the top 25 teams, and the individual rankings are then combined to produce the national ranking by giving a team 25 points for a first place vote, 24 for a second place vote, and so on down to 1 point for a twenty-fifth place vote. Ballots of the voting members in the AP Poll are made public.

Impressive win for Baylor, but they did lose to a Washington team that Gonzaga beat in a true road game. That being said, even if GU keeps on winning, I suspect at some point the voters will jump a major conference team ahead of Gonzaga.

Another thing......New Mexico big man Carlton Bragg has just been thrown off the team. He's a double double machine. SDSU's game at UNM in late January is going to be by far and away their toughest remaining challenge. Look at the MWC standings. I am sorry, but the WCC is just a better basketball league this season. Although the Aztecs haven't been blowing out teams like crazy, I wouldn't be shocked if they go unbeaten until the NCAA's. SDSU already won at Utah State, which was their other toughest challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by sullyzag66 View Post
    If I'm reading that right, Baylor got more first place votes, but at least two less second place votes.

I was kinda' hoping GU would drop to #2 so they could take it out on SCU & BYU this week.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

An AP Poll voter who didn't have St. Mary's on his ballot last week ranked them at #25 this week. . .Gary Parrish weighs in:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...o-santa-clara/

And the wildest thing is that Thompson did NOT have Saint Mary's ranked last week -- which means Thompson didn't have Saint Mary's ranked when the Gaels were 14-3, but he does have Saint Mary's ranked now that the Gaels are 15-4 and coming off of a loss at home to a Santa Clara team that's 75th in the NET, 106th at Torvik, 120th in Sagarin and 129th at KenPom. So this might be the first time in history a loss at home to a sub-125 KenPom team has launched a school with zero wins over currently ranked teams onto a Top 25 ballot. I could maybe understand if Bob Sutton, from The Times News in North Carolina, were the one AP voter ranking Saint Mary's this week because he's the one AP voter who was ranking Saint Mary's last week. But not ranking Saint Mary's last week, and then ranking Saint Mary's this week, which is what Thompson has done, makes no sense considering Saint Mary's spent Saturday losing at home to a sub-125 KenPom team.

Default EDGAR...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    An AP Poll voter who didn't have St. Mary's on his ballot last week ranked them at #25 this week. . .Gary Parrish weighs in:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...o-santa-clara/
    I'm guessing Edgar Thompson, the AP voter who moved the Gaels into Top 25 after their loss to Santa Clara, picked a bad week to:
    a) Stop smoking
    b) Stop sniffing glue
    c) Stop eating brown sugar directly from the bag, or
    d) All of the above!

With that kind of logic, he should have had the Broncos at #24 at least.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    óKurt Vonnegut

Default Week 12 - 1. 20. 2020 - Zags # 2

1. Baylor 1591 Points
    2. Gonzaga 1588 Points
    3. Kansas 1470 Points

https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll

Ahhh yes... the old... no loss drop out of 1 spot. GU is literally the only team that this happens to.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Ahhh yes... the old... no loss drop out of 1 spot. GU is literally the only team that this happens to.
    Iím surprised it didnít happen after Baylor beat Kansas.

My complaint is how Gonzaga can drop, but SDSU who plays bad teams keeps moving up.

Bottom line tho rankings are pointless on March. Just win out and get a 1 seed. Only issue is if Zags lose and donít win WCCC tourney they could drop 2-4 seeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Tremors are being felt in Stockton.

Baylor is worthy of #1 ranking. However taking it away from the Zags is B.S. in many ways. Baylor no question has some great wins but come on! Last week I could almost understand but this week absolutely no Freaking Way!

Watch what happens next week. Zags will drop again, even if they win, because 1. they only play one game; and 2. the opponent is not highly ranked and the game is at home.

I ve been around for a while but never seen a team score 75 pts in victory again 2 good teams and drop in the rankings. Must be crazy. NumberI in offense and 40 th in defense while crushing good teams and get dropped From such a high perch is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Baylor is worthy of #1 ranking. However taking it away from the Zags is B.S. in many ways. Baylor no question has some great wins but come on! Last week I could almost understand but this week absolutely no Freaking Way!
    FWIW, prob not much, but Fran Fraschilla agrees with you. Watching Baylor v OU and earlier offered his opinion that GU was the best team and didnít understand the AP poll.

In the end, if the Zags get / stay healthy and win games...the rankings and seedings will be fine. Lots of season ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I ve been around for a while but never seen a team score 75 pts in victory again 2 good teams and drop in the rankings. Must be crazy. NumberI in offense and 40 th in defense while crushing good teams and get dropped From such a high perch is nuts.
    The "crazy year" in college hoops has infected the polls. . .Zags are in control of their destiny now. It would be amazing for them to play in the Spokane pod.

Baylor responds to its new-found #1 ranking by eeking out a 4-point win at home, scoring only 61 points against the 58th ranked defense* in the country. Baylor's effort dropped them to #4 overall* in the country, below... wait for it... Gonzaga. Meanwhile, Gonzaga recently handled a BYU offense that is ranked higher than... you guessed it... Baylor.

Baylor is a good team but most everything about how they leap-frogged the Zags is wrong-- and this doesn't include Scott "I was ranked the #2 dirtiest coach in college basketball, below only Calipari" Drew.

*Kenpom rankings.

not that they really needed it...but a chip on the ol' zag shoulder isn't all that bad a thing moving forward.

It’s reminiscent of the bad old days when Zags would get ridiculously poor seeds after a great year. One time FEW was so stunned he could barely speak.