Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The AP Poll Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Good to see Washington still in top 25 at 22, Arizona at 16, North Carolina at 26, and St Mary's and even BYU in the also mentioned section. WCC should be much tougher this year, which is really good.

Go Zags!!!

BYU is also the fourth and final team listed in this weeks brackatology as the Last Four In...

It is going to be tough to get three teams in and not sure SMC will make it...IMO BYU will probably have at least two more losses and I see SMC with 3-5 losses...BUT we can hope...

Besides UNC falling out of Top 25 AP, Seton Hall also is out following road losses to Iowa St by 10 and to Rutgers by 20. Just 3 weeks ago, the Pirates were ranked #13 and playing excellent basketball.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    I dont feel we are the #2 team in college hoops, yet we do deserve it at this point in the season.

Tbh, we have a better resume than Kansas, who has yet to play an actual road game.
    Is it wrong if your own fanbase (including this fan) thinks there's no possible way we're the 2nd best team in the country right now?

I think we can be.

If our guards are going to stay as locked-in as they have been, then maybe, but this is a bit weird …

Maybe it says more about where all the teams are, not one or two great teams out there.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Is it wrong if your own fanbase (including this fan) thinks there's no possible way we're the 2nd best team in the country right now?

I think we can be.

If our guards are going to stay as locked-in as they have been, then maybe, but this is a bit weird …

Maybe it says more about where all the teams are, not one or two great teams out there.
    No because I don’t think we are either. Maybe it’s because we haven’t won a title yet, maybe it’s because we aren’t used to seeing great turnover and still seeing top level players compete at a title winning level? Maybe we are negative nancies? Maybe it DOES equate to this years teams? I have no clue but I will say this

I love it.

Go zags!
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Until proven otherwise, I believe we are the BEST, the Number 1, team in college basketball. I also believe that soon the Polls will reflect this belief. I believe our boys have proven that they are worthy of their #2 ranking. No other college has had the victories on the Road that Gonzaga has had.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Zags deserve this ranking. I also believe come march this will be a wide open field.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Until proven otherwise, I believe we are the BEST, the Number 1, team in college basketball. I also believe that soon the Polls will reflect this belief. I believe our boys have proven that they are worthy of their #2 ranking. No other college has had the victories on the Road that Gonzaga has had.

Go Zags!!!
    I like your Koolaid!!

GoZags!!!
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

The polls are fun...but they are all about not losing....and no one knows who the best team are....not Pomeroy or even the Shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    I like your Koolaid!!

GoZags!!!
    We will soon find out whether my statement was a result of drinking "Koolaid" or if it actually becomes factual. So far every team that has been #1 in the polls loses a game soon after they have been #1.

Then hopefully we will stay at #2.

The recognition is nice. Would prefer insulting result so team can carry a chip on their shoulders. Love being an underdog.

Still, congrats!

Go Zags!

Seth Davis put the GU in the top slot this week:

https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/s...97644866621440

Gary Parrish puts Ohio State at the top: https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-at-villanova/

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Gary Parrish puts Ohio State at the top: https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-at-villanova/
    We know what Dan Danmit thinks. Even though he's biased, he really believes it anyway.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I do not understand Parrish's ranking when Kentucky loses to a team he then makes number one and he then does not even rank them. They only lost by 6 and they were number 6 ranking before the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    I do not understand Parrish's ranking when Kentucky loses to a team he then makes number one and he then does not even rank them. They only lost by 6 and they were number 6 ranking before the loss.
    They also lost to a barely top 100 team in Utah this week. That’s why

Also Parrish goes by resumes. If you pay attention to his rankings (trust me I’m just trying to explain I’m Not yelling or trying to be offensive to you) he explained that when he didn’t rank them he said “SOS 327, and has no big wins outside of #22 MSU, and 2 losses outside of Ken Pom Top 100”

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Looks pretty close to me Ohio State is very good! Not sure they should leap frog the Zags. Does it really make that much diffrence this time of year anyway? It's fun though that's for sure. Rater be #1 at the end of March!

I am actually not sure it helps our young team to be ranked number one right now (if they end up 1).

It sorta feels like they might rest on some laurels a bit.

Additionally, this team has so many newcomers, and they see two years straight of no WCC losses, and maybe feel entitled to run through w/o a loss. The WCC is improved, and not just SMC and BYU, but others, too.

This team could be national championship caliber (especially this year w/o dominating team). But they're not firing on all cylinders yet, and maybe it would be better if they had a bit of a chip on the shoulder and went into games against BYU/SMC with something to prove.

I hope Gameday comes to GU-SMC again.
    Mark Twain.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ving-door-no-1

Gonzaga #1 in espn college basketball rankings

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Looks pretty close to me Ohio State is very good! Not sure they should leap frog the Zags. Does it really make that much diffrence this time of year anyway? It's fun though that's for sure. Rater be #1 at the end of March!
    That is pretty much what Coach Few said.....no polls till March...… the polls are fun and the fans love them..... or hate them....and no doubt they help with recruiting and they get you on the National Media...I have no doubt that Gonzaga will be ranked #1 at some point or several points this year....

However, Gonzaga has become one of those programs that will be judged by their success or lack thereof in the NCAA Tournament.....some of us will enjoy the journey but some will focus on the destination......or both... I doubt many of the Virginia fans could tell you where they were ranked in 2018 or 2019 but they all know what happened in March/April...

I am actually not sure it helps our young team to be ranked number one right now (if they end up 1).

Additionally, this team has so many newcomers, and they see two years straight of no WCC losses, and maybe feel entitled to run through w/o a loss. The WCC is improved, and not just SMC and BYU, but others, too.

This team could be national championship caliber (especially this year w/o dominating team). But they're not firing on all cylinders yet, and maybe it would be better if they had a bit of a chip on the shoulder and went into games against BYU/SMC with something to prove.

They are coming in the back door a little bit! The players infront of them on the leader board are definetly making some bogeys and Zags are just holding steady making their way to the top!
    It's kind of why the preseason rankings are so important. If we started out the year ranked 12-15 (I thought was a possibility) even with the wins we have had I dont think we would be in this position so soon.
    I agree that sometimes you can get a little complacent and take WCC teams for granted. I dont think this team has that make up though. No question they are talented and I know this sounds crazy but I think in a blue collar kind of way. Most of the guys on this years team in my opinion are more skilled than athletically gifted. Sure some are plus athletes even at the high D1 level but they strike me as guys who have to work for it!
    I think it's going to be a little bit of a grind in the WCC. I think the higher ranked the better, this team will have to put on the big boy shorts at some point in the season! They have delt with a little adversity so far and come out on the right side!

Are we really that young though? Wooly is a 4th year player, admon is a senior, Tillie is a senior, Kispert is a junior. Ayayi is in his third year in program. That’s 4 of our 5 with at least three years exp. Watson and timmie are the frosh rotation guys. Petro played solid mins on a #1 team already. I’m not sure (yet also not disagreeing with your original point) but I don’t think we are young compared to rest of the country

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Jeff Borzello's Sunday Night Power Rankings give the nod to GU at # 1:

LINK: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ving-door-no-1

Mark Few seems to have a different member of his rotation step up every game, which enables the Zags to overcome slumps by one or two key players. One of those players, Texas A&M graduate transfer Admon Gilder, had been in a slump since mid-November, going 5-for-25 from 3-point range over a seven-game stretch. In Gilder's last three games, though, he has shot 8-for-13 from behind the arc, averaging 15.3 points. When he's playing with confidence, Gilder provides a little bit of everything for the Bulldogs: perimeter shooting, size in the backcourt and a secondary ball handler. He will have to be a factor later in the season.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

As anticipated, our men are #1 in the nation once again.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/sta...392370693?s=19

THE POLLS have always looked the best to me with Gonzaga's name at the top. Congratulations to the Zags! Merry Christmas guys.

Go Zags!!!