Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 197

Thread: The AP Poll Thread

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,289

    Default

    Michigan State ( Pre-Season # 1 ) is no longer in the AP Top 25

    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...r-remains-no-1

    1. Baylor (48) 21-1
    2. Gonzaga (15) 25-1
    3. Kansas (1) 20-3
    4. SDiego State 24-0
    5. Louisville 21-3
    6. Dayton 21-2
    7. Duke 20-3
    8. Florida State 20-3
    9. Maryland 19-4
    10. Seton Hall 18-5
    11. Auburn 21-2
    12. Kentucky 18-5
    13. Penn State 18-5
    14. W. Virginia 18-5
    15. Villanova 17-6

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Michigan State ( Pre-Season # 1 ) is no longer in the AP Top 25

    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...r-remains-no-1

    1. Baylor (48) 21-1
    2. Gonzaga (15) 25-1
    3. Kansas (1) 20-3
    4. SDiego State 24-0
    5. Louisville 21-3
    6. Dayton 21-2
    7. Duke 20-3
    8. Florida State 20-3
    9. Maryland 19-4
    10. Seton Hall 18-5
    11. Auburn 21-2
    12. Kentucky 18-5
    13. Penn State 18-5
    14. W. Virginia 18-5
    15. Villanova 17-6
    This is a striking difference from where they are in the NET rankings. Same with Arizona.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Michigan State ( Pre-Season # 1 ) is no longer in the AP Top 25

    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...r-remains-no-1

    1. Baylor (48) 21-1
    2. Gonzaga (15) 25-1
    3. Kansas (1) 20-3
    4. SDiego State 24-0
    5. Louisville 21-3
    6. Dayton 21-2
    7. Duke 20-3
    8. Florida State 20-3
    9. Maryland 19-4
    10. Seton Hall 18-5
    11. Auburn 21-2
    12. Kentucky 18-5
    13. Penn State 18-5
    14. W. Virginia 18-5
    15. Villanova 17-6
    Anybody that wants MSU in their bracket is certifiable.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    711

    Default

    BYU now up to #29, could be ranked by the time we go to Provo.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snorkeling the Washougal River
    Posts
    2,683

    Cool BYU! The root beers are on me!

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    BYU now up to #29, could be ranked by the time we go to Provo.
    Yeah, this's great. If BYU continues to do their thing, the Zags could be going to Provo for a Top-25 Showdown on ESPN! (If only SMC hadn't lost early at home to Winthrop, which by the way is 12-0 in their conference, the Gaels might be sniffing round the Top-25 too. For a moment back then methinks the Gaels were as high as eighteenth).






    :]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,826

    Default

    If KU beats Baylor on Feb 22, do they leapfrog the Zags?

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    BYU now up to #29, could be ranked by the time we go to Provo.
    BYU is playing great. But this is even greater. Their mascot is launched from beyond 3 for a dunk. Amazing

    https://twitter.com/erwatso9/status/1226373171235868674

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    If KU beats Baylor on Feb 22, do they leapfrog the Zags?
    Possibly, the game’s in Waco.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Possibly, the game’s in Waco.
    Definitely in Waco, Baylor already beat KU at the Phog.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post


    BYU is playing great. But this is even greater. Their mascot is launched from beyond 3 for a dunk. Amazing

    https://twitter.com/erwatso9/status/1226373171235868674
    Ok. That was pretty cool.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Possibly, the game’s in Waco.
    I never have anticipated a leapfrog in the past but this is the year I think it would happen.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Here is a bit more info on BYU's current rating:

    https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...ast-conference

    "The Cougars are ranked No. 23 in the NCAA’s NET, No. 16 in Kenpom.com and No. 24 (up from No. 31) by Andy Katz. And when the Associated Press poll was released Monday morning, BYU collected 43 votes (up from 14 last week) to finish outside the Top 25 at No. 29."

    The article also includes a nice insight as to how Pope is "juicing" his guys in the locker room:

    "Every team is going to make a decision in February. And probably keep making that decision every day in February — whether they’re done … or whether they’re going to come every single minute of every single day and fight and this team can actually do it,” he said. “We talk about having the best locker room in America all the time. That’s what the best locker room in America does.

    “The best locker room in America comes and competes every single minute of every single day. … If you do this right, at the end of the season, you are essentially dead inside,” he continued. “You have nothing left. You’ve called forth every deep reserve that you possibly have in your being to compete every single day at the highest level. And you’ll have nothing left. Then every day for the rest of your life, that will get sweeter and sweeter and sweeter, if you can invest that much. This team is on their way to doing it.”

    Pretty good stuff!
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Baylor squeaks out a home win against OSU, while we go into Moraga and boatrace the Gaels. And yet the poll is unchanged. Okay, that sounds fair.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,727

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    After trading leads and a one-point win at SD? How does that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,289

    Default

    LINK: https://apnews.com/f16cfe0d0526557915cdf9196d63813f

    Baylor and Kansas just keep winning, setting up a monumental showdown Saturday between the top-ranked Bears and No. 3 Jayhawks that could help decide not only the Big 12 title but the No. 1 overall seed for the NCAA Tournament.

    The two teams were separated once again by Gonzaga in the latest college basketball poll from The Associated Press on Monday. The Bears (23-1) had 48 first-place votes from the 63-member media panel, while the Bulldogs (26-1) had 14 first-place nods and the Jayhawks (22-3) had the only remaining first-place vote.

    “The best we could be right now is being the No. 1 overall seed in the tournament. We’re No. 2,” said Kansas coach Bill Self, whose team beat West Virginia and Oklahoma last week. “The reason we’re not No. 1 is Baylor beat us on our home floor. They deserve it. I’m not looking at it like we haven’t done as well as our record because we’re in second place. I’m looking at it like we played pretty good that day and got beat by a better team, and now we have a chance to get them back.”

    The Bears and Jayhawks both have business to handle before they collide on Saturday, though. Kansas got a visit from Iowa State to Allen Fieldhouse on Monday night while Baylor will be visiting Oklahoma on Tuesday night.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    After trading leads and a one-point win at SD? How does that work?
    A lot of teams ranked 15-30 lost.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    After trading leads and a one-point win at SD? How does that work?
    by people noticing their team stats and finally paying attention, probably. Those West Coasties never get their games seen and with Childs back they probably deserve it?
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    A lot of teams ranked 15-30 lost.
    This checks out.

    Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    by people noticing their team stats and finally paying attention, probably. Those West Coasties never get their games seen and with Childs back they probably deserve it?
    Maybe the weeks prior but not after the performance against SD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    How cool is it that 3 of the top 5 are teams outside the power-6 conferences, and there's no Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Michigan State, Virginia, or Villanova in the top 5.

    I wonder when the last time that happened. It may be a "down" year for overall talent, but I don't think it's a "down" year for average fan entertainment.

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Yes KU and Baylor play this Saturday and more than likely play again in the B12 Conference Tournament final...so one of those two teams are going to have three to four losses.

    Let's just keep our fingers crossed we beat BYU in Provo and win our Conference Tournament and if the cards fall right, could be the overall #1 seed.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Yes KU and Baylor play this Saturday and more than likely play again in the B12 Conference Tournament final...so one of those two teams are going to have three to four losses.

    Let's just keep our fingers crossed we beat BYU in Provo and win our Conference Tournament and if the cards fall right, could be the overall #1 seed.
    This. We have work to do. Don't sleep on USF either. It's a bad time to fall asleep and stop taking teams seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    First time they've been ranked as a member of the WCC. Last AP ranking was in 2011 when they got as high as 3.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,253

    Default

    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-top-25-and-1/

    by Jerry Palm sportswriter:

    "Baylor remains No. 2 in Sunday morning's updated CBS Sports Top 25 And 1 daily college basketball rankings -- behind only Gonzaga. But, as I've said and written many times, that should not be interpreted as a slight of Baylor. It's just that I moved Gonzaga to No. 1 on Dec. 30, 2019, and all the Zags have done since is win 13 straight games by an average of 22.5 points. And, in the simplest of terms, I'm not going to punish Mark Few's team when it's winning without exception and generally dominating the competition.
    So Gonzaga is No. 1."

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-top-25-and-1/

    by Jerry Palm sportswriter:

    "Baylor remains No. 2 in Sunday morning's updated CBS Sports Top 25 And 1 daily college basketball rankings -- behind only Gonzaga. But, as I've said and written many times, that should not be interpreted as a slight of Baylor. It's just that I moved Gonzaga to No. 1 on Dec. 30, 2019, and all the Zags have done since is win 13 straight games by an average of 22.5 points. And, in the simplest of terms, I'm not going to punish Mark Few's team when it's winning without exception and generally dominating the competition.
    So Gonzaga is No. 1."
    That’s Gary Parrish, not Palm. He says this all the time on his podcast too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •