Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The AP Poll Thread

This week's AP poll is the first AP poll with three non-major conference teams in the top 5 since Jan. 1, 1996 (UMass, Memphis, Cincinnati).

It is Dayton's first top 5 ranking since March 1956 (No. 3).

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    This week's AP poll is the first AP poll with three non-major conference teams in the top 5 since Jan. 1, 1996 (UMass, Memphis, Cincinnati).

It is Dayton's first top 5 ranking since March 1956 (No. 3).
    Dayton has always seemed to me to be a program that could really pop and be the "next Gonzaga." They're really well supported in Dayton and are the biggest game in town. Dayton is smaller than Spokane and closer to actual big cities (1 hour to Columbus or Cincinnati, 2 hours to Indianapolis), but if they keep it rolling it would be fun to have another dynamic program outside the power conference structure.

Default February 24 - Week 17

AP LINK: https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll

TOP 10

1. Kansas
    2. Baylor
    3. Gonzaga
    4. Dayton
    5. San Diego State
    6. Florida State
    7. Duke
    8. Kentucky
    9. Maryland
    10. Creighton

14. Oregon
    17. BYU
    19. Michigan

Others Receiving Votes: Arizona

Smile All is Well

Kinda thought the Zags would only drop to #3 (AP). Really happy to see BYU jump to 17th. Kinda thought they'd be Top-20 (from #23). Also see that SMC lost their previous votes in the AP, but still got votes in the Coaches Poll.

BYU beating Us was akin to Us beating Duke last year. Something special. (Now, assuming BYU survives a likely match-up with SMC in the WCC semi's, and Dayton stays above us in the Coaches Poll, we'll have intense motivation vs. BYU next time round. A good thing going into The Dance.) Further, if BYU can subsequently squeeze up into the Top-15 between then and now, it's only good.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

What’s funny is even if we had beaten BYU we STILL could have fell down to # 3 anyways
    ZAG 4 LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by ezcure17 View Post
    What’s funny is even if we had beaten BYU we STILL could have fell down to # 3 anyways
    Yes, I was expecting that as well prior to the BYU "affair".
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Default Week 18: March 2, 2020

AP LINK: https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll

Kansas is unanimous # 1.
    Gonzaga Moves up to # 2
    3. Dayton
    4. Baylor
    5. SDSU
    6. Kentucky
    7. Florida State
    8. Seton Hall
    9. Maryland
    10. Louisville
    11. Creighton
    12. Duke
    13. Oregon
    14. Villanova
    15. BYU

Since the tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, only four AP No. 1 teams have won the national title:

1992 Duke
    1995 UCLA
    2001 Duke
    2012 Kentucky

OBSERVATION:
    The Big Ten Conference now has 8 of its 14 teams ranked in AP Top 25 as Illinois and Wisconsin move up to #23 and #24, respectively. Highest ranked Big Ten team is #9 Maryland.
    Last edited by ProVeeZag; 03-02-2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Corrected # of teams in Big 10 to "14"
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    OBSERVATION:
    The Big Ten Conference now has 8 of its 10 teams ranked in AP Top 25 as Illinois and Wisconsin move up to #23 and #24, respectively. Highest ranked Big Ten team is #9 Maryland.
    The only unranked Big 10 teams are Northwestern and Minnesota.
    Big Ten has 14 teams, so 6 are unranked. Also Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, Nebraska I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Big Ten has 14 teams, so 6 are unranked. Also Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, Nebraska I believe.
    Still very impressive.

It used to be the ACC that would have 6 ranked teams or more. The Big is eating itself up with parity so none are top 5, but all are very tough. Any of those Big teams will be tough come tourney time bc really used to tough games.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Still very impressive.

It used to be the ACC that would have 6 ranked teams or more. The Big is eating itself up with parity so none are top 5, but all are very tough. Any of those Big teams will be tough come tourney time bc really used to tough games.
    A bit O/T, but the coach for THE Ohio State University makes more in salary than all of the coaches in the WCC combined. 4 of the 10 most highly paid coaches in college basketball are from the Big 10.

Says something about the resources available to those programs.

can you imagine what mark few could command if he sold himself to the highest bidder right now?
    same question for tommy lloyd
    same question could be asked if John Stockton had allowed his brand to be commercialized ...
    Zag Nation is grounded by integrity leadership,
    so much to be grateful for ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    can you imagine what mark few could command if he sold himself to the highest bidder right now?
    same question for tommy lloyd
    same question could be asked if John Stockton had allowed his brand to be commercialized ...
    Zag Nation is grounded by integrity leadership,
    so much to be grateful for ...
    I think Tommy Would be the hotter commodity right now because of his age and his wizardry with respect to international players.

Duh, what was I thinking?!? Thanks for correction. Guess "The Big 14" moniker was already taken?
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Duh, what was I thinking?!? Thanks for correction. Guess "The Big 14" moniker was already taken?
    Numbers dont mean what they used to, BIG 12 has 10 teams, A-10 has 14. I do like the BIG TEN logo though where the I and G look like a 1 and 0. I can see where they wouldnt want to give that up.

Numbers dont mean what they used to, BIG 12 has 10 teams, A-10 has 14. I do like the BIG TEN logo though where the I and G look like a 1 and 0. I can see where they wouldnt want to give that up.
    They sure don't ... I remember having trouble not saying "Pac-8" for a while! This is what happens when you get old ... too much data bouncing around my head.
    —Kurt Vonnegut

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Zags remain #2
    BYU up to #14
    SMC up to #32 just ahead of #33 Arizona

SMC should get a bid even if they lose tonight which I suspect they will after a 2OT marathon in the quarters Saturday night.

ZZ

Five of top 16 are legacy RC institutions.....Just saying.

Also, Big 10 schools seem impervious to losses. 9, 10, 11, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I think Tommy Would be the hotter commodity right now because of his age and his wizardry with respect to international players.
    As respected as Tommy is in the basketball community, I doubt this is true. He's only a few years younger and Mark Few has the marquee name recognition. I think the thing that dampens enthusiasm for Mark Few is that he is unlikely to leave Gonzaga for another university.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    As respected as Tommy is in the basketball community, I doubt this is true. He's only a few years younger and Mark Few has the marquee name recognition. I think the thing that dampens enthusiasm for Mark Few is that he is unlikely to leave Gonzaga for another university.
    45 vs 57 is more than a decade difference. Of course Mark’s not leaving and presumably wherever Tommy would go, he’d be hungry to succeed.

They sure don't ... I remember having trouble not saying "Pac-8" for a while! This is what happens when you get old ... too much data bouncing around my head.
    When there was a Pac-8, that WAC was a pretty darn tough conference in both football and Bball...in fact if memory serves, the WAC's BYU was the last Non-BCS/P-5 school to win the National Championship in Football and UNLV (Big West) was the last non-BCS/P-5 school to win the NC in Basketball...

Those were good days!

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    Dayton has always seemed to me to be a program that could really pop and be the "next Gonzaga." They're really well supported in Dayton and are the biggest game in town. Dayton is smaller than Spokane and closer to actual big cities (1 hour to Columbus or Cincinnati, 2 hours to Indianapolis), but if they keep it rolling it would be fun to have another dynamic program outside the power conference structure.
    Unfortunately, due to their placement on the map, it's gonna be hard to achieve that. The problem Dayton has is the same problem Butler had - despite going to back to back title games.....the school is located in an area that is surrounded by BCS vultures. Despite all its success, it is really hard for Dayton to consistently land great players, although they do manage to get the occasional top 100 player. It's the best program in the A-10, has rich tradition, and yes, is locally well supported, but it is just so hard to recruit in the Midwest when you're battling the Big Ten, The Big East, The ACC, The SEC......there is just too much competition, it's harder to find hidden gems, and sadly, Dayton eventually lose coaches like Archie Miller to bigger jobs. It's also why Butler was never able to capitalize on the recruiting front despite going to back to back title games. I never thought Butler would start bringing in top 100 players left and right despite all their achievements - even if Stevens had stayed.

I don't think we will ever see another Gonzaga. The number one factor (certainly not the only) in their rise was their placement on the map. Being located in an area with very few D-1 schools (including very few BCS schools) but in an area rich in talent. You can hide players in the Pacific NW like nowhere else. With more and more BCS programs investing in basketball, I think Dayton can still get better, but it's going to be hard to be Gonzaga better. However, the program is so well supported, the facilities very good.....they are always going to attract really good coaches from the low major and juco ranks. It's a lot better place to coach than at a low level BCS school.