Thread: KenPom looks kinda funny this early in the season

Default KenPom looks kinda funny this early in the season

I’m sorry but when I saw sparty #1 to start the year I knew it was laughable
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

He cannot have updated this yet. It does look funny!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Iím sorry but when I saw sparty #1 to start the year I knew it was laughable
    IT'S NOT A POLL OR A POWER RANKING

Shouting for the people in the back - but look at his his methodology works with the limited dataset of the early season before saying stuff like this.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    IT'S NOT A POLL OR A POWER RANKING

Shouting for the people in the back - but look at his his methodology works with the limited dataset of the early season before saying stuff like this.
    Exactly right.

The table looks accurate if one knows what one is looking at. The early tables take into account returning players and their projected improvements over the previous year. Several other factors are weighted to give a predictive number for efficiency and these are weighted less as each game is played. By the time the calendar flips into the new year these factors are weighted less and less as the actual games played become the driving force behind his predictions.

Michigan State is still legitimately at the top of the table because of their overwhelming returning experience. More than likely, as the season progresses they will be proven to be one of the top four or five teams in the country with a legit chance to finish as kenpom's #1

And remember that kenpom is predictive. He doesn't look at wins/losses, only advanced per-possession analytics to try to determine who the best team in the country is on a neutral court.