Thread: Lady Zags Host CSU Bakersfield for Home and Seasons-Opener Sunday at 2pm

Post Lady Zags Host CSU Bakersfield for Home and Seasons-Opener Sunday at 2pm

Women’s Basketball Hosts CSU Bakersfield for Home and Seasons-Opener Sunday

First meeting in history with the Roadrunners

GONZAGA (0-0) vs. CSU BAKERSFIELD (1-0)
    NOV. 10 | 2 P.M. | SPOKANE | McCARTHEY ATHLETIC CENTER
    LIVE VIDEO | LIVE STATS

THE TIP-OFF
    - Gonzaga will open the 2019-20 regular season when it hosts CSU Bakersfield on Sunday, Nov. 10 at 2 p.m., inside the McCarthey Athletic Center.
    - Gonzaga is receiving votes in the Associated Press Top 25 poll, and the Bulldogs are ranked No. 23 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.
    - The Zags have won eight of the last 10 season-openers, and the Bulldogs have won the last 15 straight home openers.
    - Gonzaga has scored an average of 74.1 points per game in each of the last 10 season openers. In the last 15 home openers, Gonzaga carries an average margin of victory of 79.5. Since 2004-05, Gonzaga has scored over 100 points in three home openers: vs. Hofstra (Nov. 11, 2011; 101-88), vs. Whitman (Nov. 14, 2010; 114-40) and vs. Eastern Oregon (Nov. 14, 2008; 101-44).
    - In last season's season opener against Montana, the Zags cruised to a 76-52 win.
    - Four Zags finished in double-figures, led by Jill Townsend with 14 points and six rebounds. Katie Campbell added 13 with a 3-of-4 finish from long range; Laura Stockton also finished with 13 points, four assists and one steal. Zykera Rice completed the quartet with 11 points and nine rebounds.
    - Gonzaga returns two starters and seven letter-winners from last season's squad that claimed the Zags' third consecutive and 15th overall West Coast Conference regular season title.
    - In 2018-19, the Bulldogs advanced to their third-straight NCAA Tournament, advancing to the Second Round.

SERIES REVIEW
    - This is the first meeting between Gonzaga and CSU Bakersfield.
    - Gonzaga is 13-8 all-time against current Western Athletic Conference (WAC) programs (Cal Baptist, CSU Bakersfield, Chicago State, Grand Canyon, Kansas City, New Mexico State, Seattle, UT Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley).
    - The last time GU faced a WAC opponent was on Nov. 23, 2015 as the Zags defeated Grand Canyon 70-44 as part of the Hall of Fame Challenge in Spokane.

SCOUTING THE ROADRUNNERS
    - CSUB finished the 2018-19 season with a 14-17 overall record including a 9-7 mark in the WAC.
    - The Roadrunners advanced to the semifinal of the WAC Tournament, falling to eventual WNIT participant UTRGV 69-58.
    - This season, CSUB returns five letter winners from last season's squad, add four redshirts back into the lineup and welcome four newcomers. The 'Runners were selected to finish fifth in the WAC this season.
    - Cal State Bakersfield opened its season on Tuesday (Nov. 5) with an 83-74 win over Cal State Dominguez Hills.
    - Three Roadrunners finished with double-figures, led by grad-transfer guard Andie Easley with 15 points. Redshirt sophomore guard Jasmin Dixon added 12 points while Miracle Saxon, Makenzie Bond and Jayden Eggleston each added 10 points each.
    - CSUB lost the battle on the class as Dominguez Hills claimed the 48-42 edge. Saxon and Eggleston led the 'Runners on the glass with seven each. Easley led the squad in assists with six; Ashley Austin added five.
    - During the 2018-19 season, CSUB averaged 63.4 points per game shooting 38.4 percent from the floor, 27.9 percent from long range and 62.1 percent from the charity stripe.
    - Austin is the Roadrunners leading returning scorer as the sophomore point guard ranked third in scoring during the 2018-19 season with 9.6 points per contest.
    - CSUB will face Washington on Friday, Nov. 8...

RECORD NUMBER OF SEASON TICKETS SOLD
    Gonzaga women's basketball sold out of season tickets for the third-straight season and set a new record in the process. The Bulldogs' sold 4,618 season tickets, eclipsing the previous record of 4,468 set last season...

Gonzaga Article Link

You Go Girls! Letsee whutcha got!

Eliza will not be playing today, minor injury that has been bothering her. Looks like a 10 person rotation today.

Zags played really sloppy 1st quarter and had 16 turnovers in the game. The other team had a very small lineup, height wise.

A star is born Kayleigh is for real she can score points in a hurry 6-9 FG, she can light it up from 3 (4-6) this game. Only criticism is stop the stupid olyoops between her sister, and do normal layups on a 2 on 1 breakaway. They did the same thing both games resulting in a miss.

I loved the tenacity I saw from Anamarie and the hunger to learn. At one point after a play Anamarie was fired up about something and went to one of the Wirths for a answer and they gaffed her off. Then during the foul shot I saw CLF was talking to Anamarie calming her down and giving her explanation. I liked Anamarie fire she was always playing full tilt, hustling, and being physical. Anamarie is going to be a real asset to the team, CLF needs to keep getting her as many minutes as possible.

I liked how CLF pulled players in the 1st half when they were being ineffective and then putting them back in the game where they became effective. Both Katie, Jill, Jessie were not doing much 1st half but all did great 2nd half.

Stats do not always tell the story especially when in mop up duty at the end of the game. But in the exhibition and 1st game 2 players have disappointed me Melody and Louise. Melody has not been impressive in the slightest making stupid fouls for one. Louise still does not seem comfortable playing.

Its early I know but based on the Exhibition and 1st game I think ***Kayleigh and **Anamarie should be first off the bench. My curiosity is how K-leigh is so far ahead of her sister K-lynn at this point. We need to keep getting K-lynn experience on the court.

I like physical players and I think in this game, we found another one in Anamarie oh yeah.

Wirth twins had another efficient game and Jessie had 9 assists.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    My curiosity is how K-leigh is so far ahead of her sister K-lynn at this point. We need to keep getting K-lynn experience on the court.
    It might seem counter intuitive, but I think that's fairly typical that there is actually a significant difference in athletic performance in the case of twins. Look at Central Valley's Hull twins. Lexie is looking like a star in the making while Lacie is more of a glue player.

There's something about Stanford and twins I guess. Jason and Jarron Collins maybe were similar but Brook Lopez was a much better player than Robin. While they weren't identical twins Brittany McPhee was an above average D1 player while Jordan was D2. Not Stanford, but Horace and Harvey Grant were both really good but were completely different players, Horace a PF and Harvey a SF.

Some players are just extremely confident in their own abilities. Jill Barta was a Redshirt freshman but she came out her freshman year on fire. But given the chance Jill probably would have lit it up has a true freshman also. Not everyone can come out of the gate on fire, some have to be groomed more than others thats all. Alas the Zags have played only 1 real game so far. But its good to see everyone getting minutes that creates depth.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-10-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Zags Cruise Past CSU Bakersfield in Home- and Season-Opener

Four Bulldogs finish in double-figures

Gonzaga 92 - CSU Bakersfield 48 Box Score Link

SPOKANE, Wash. – The Gonzaga women's basketball team used an explosive second quarter to surge past visiting CSU Bakersfield 92-48 Sunday afternoon at the McCarthey Athletic Center.

"It felt good," head women's basketball coach Lisa Fortier said. "I thought we did a nice job…I think we are going to be able to outlast teams, just like we did last year. I told the team that I wasn't sure if our depth was a huge part of this team's success plan or not, but it has potential to be. And today it was."

Gonzaga (1-0) finished with four players in double-figures, led by freshman guard Kayleigh Truong who netted 18 in her official collegiate debut. Truong finished 6-of-9 from the floor including 4-of-6 from long range with four rebounds, two assists and two steals. Jenn Wirth added a career-high 17 points, six boards, two assists and two blocks, while LeeAnne Wirth also finished with a career-high with 14 points. Katie Campbell rounded out the double-figure scoring with 13 points while Jessie Loera dished out a game-high nine assists.

"[Today] was great," Kayleigh Truong said. "We've been playing for so long now—the past six months I think—but being able to officially count this game feels really good."

After the first quarter, the Zags led CSU Bakersfield (1-2) 16-10, but the somewhat slow start for the Bulldogs was short-lived as Gonzaga exploded in the second quarter for 28 points. Just 90 seconds into the second period GU held a four-point advantage (18-14), but a bucket from Kayleigh Truong 20 seconds later ignited a 26-0 Bulldog run over the next 3:30 to give GU a comfortable 20-point lead, 34-14. By the end of the third, that lead was extended to 38 points, and a 22-point fourth quarter sealed the 92-48 victory.

The Bulldogs finished the game shooting 55.9 percent from the floor—including 45.5 percent from long range—and finished 80.0 percent from the charity stripe. The Zags out-rebounded the Roadrunners 38-27 and scored 35 points off 22 CSUB turnovers. Gonzaga also dished out 22 assists in the win and finished with 11 steals.

"I think the biggest thing for me is just the way that we've shared the ball," Jenn Wirth said. "Especially in the second half. The coaches read the stats off to us, and I just think it's going to be a trend that every game it's going to be someone new as the player of the game. I think that we all are really excited about that and are all really selfless players so it's going to work out for us."

Cal State Bakersfield was led by Lexus Green with nine points off 4-of-12 shooting while Miracle Saxon and Vanessa Austin led the 'Runners with four boards each.

Gonzaga returns to the floor Thursday, Nov. 14 against UT Martin at 7:30 p.m. inside the McCarthey Athletic Center. The game will be broadcast locally on SWX with live stats available at GoZags.com.

Gonzaga Article Link

First game in the books....

Overall I was very pleased with the first game of the season... you can see the potential. Coaches love teams like this one where they have a great group of players to mold into a winner.

My concern with the bench was eased some by their play.
    The bench put up 32 points with the starters and subs working well together... in the second quarter we saw the Truongs and Wirths with JL at the point... I couldn’t believe how well they played together.

CLF in her post game interview spoke about the bench and said that she wasn’t sure how much they would be a part of the success of this team... and she was very pleased how much they were.

This is just the start of the season... it will be fun to watch them grow into a very good team.

Go Zags!!
    Last edited by SkipZag; 11-10-2019 at 10:24 PM.

I unfortunately did not make it to the game ....I sent "representatives" though...lol

at the exhibition, I KNEW that the Truongs were special....just knew it.....and Kayleigh......wow.

based on what was reported to me, and what I've read, sounds like Anna will be quite the addition this year....

Mel's role will be that of Kiara Kudron.....the quiet workmanlike effort...not much glory, just substance.....mark my words....

lots of good things happening with this team....

My first game since H.Palmer days...

Ka ka Katie Campbell... & JL very enjoyable to watch... Kayleigh is the dominant Truong twin... to much dribbling from her sister who got her pocket picked twice...

Anamarie needs to let the game come to her... seemed hurried... her shooting technique needs work... but she can be a force

LF hustled when in... played good team ball...

MK got reffed... Yes, MK does remind me of Kiki... especially the way she runs...

Jill was Jill... tough hard nosed baller...

The Wirth twins were both focused and in the game...

The Stanford game will tell a lot about this team as Bakersfield was very over matched.... but what a fun game to go to...

Will do it again... Lady Zags are good.... how good...time will tell...

Go!! Las Zagas!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Was in the store today and saw a ZAG magazine for sale that was all ZAGS basketball men and women history and current roster and had record top ten for men and women basketball. Noticed Jill Barta held highest career free throw percentage 85% rounded off. Jill was also in the top 2 or 3 in some other categories.

Katie Campbell was 9th in a season for 3s made 63.

One young lady that was before my time Jessica Malone shot a ton of 3s and holds numerous records in that area. Another player I never saw play Shannon Matthews was in several top 10s. Anyone here ever see Malone or Mathews play in a game?
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-11-2019 at 03:43 PM.

ZAB,

A complete book showing detail histories of this years roster and coaching staff as well as the individual and team leaders in all stats are available on the gozags website archives, right here:

Archive Link: https://gozags.com/documents/2019/9/..._Preseason.pdf

I personally did not see Jessica Malone play at GU but I did see Tammy Tibbles play in high school.

ZagDad

Some more write-ups on Sunday's game #1:

From Jim Allen at the Spokesman Review:

Long before tipoff Sunday afternoon, Jenn and LeeAnne Wirth wore big smiles, ear-to-ear and full of anticipation. For the first time since high school, they were in the starting lineup together. The smiles only grew from there during Gonzaga’s 92-48 season-opening win over Cal State Bakersfield. By game’s end the junior forwards had combined for 31 points and eight rebounds. The operative word is “combined.”

“I can’t put it into words, but it’s been a long time since we started together,” Jenn said. “We have that little twin thing going … it just feels good to have someone out there where you know what they’re going to do and how they’re going to play.”

A minute later, Truong took another steal and dished off for another layin by Loera – until a late whistle erased the bucket and slapped Truong with a charge.
    The foul seemed to energize the Zags, who offered Truong pats on the shoulder as the Kennel crowd of 5,000-plus booed as the replay appeared to show the CSUB player shuffling her feet before the foul. The rally continued. Outscoring the Roadrunners 21-3 during a 6-minute stretch, the Zags led 44-21 at halftime and left no doubt by the middle of the third quarter.

Truong had a remarkable debut. In 22 ˝ minutes, she shot 6 for 9 and finished with a game-high 18 points along with four rebounds while starting at point guard. The starter, Loera, had nine of the Zags’ 22 assists. Shooter Katie Campbell, who was on the receiving end of several, had 13 points on 4-for-6 shooting from beyond the arc. “That’s how the game is supposed to be played,” Truong said. “We share the ball really well – you can’t ask for any more than that.”

Suddenly, front court depth is an issue, as wing Kylee Griffen was recently lost for the season. Now true freshman forward Eliza Hollingsworth is sidelined with a high-ankle sprain. Coach Lisa Fortier wasn’t sure how long Hollingsworth will be out, but said the 6-foot-2 Australian won’t be redshirted.
    Entire Spokesman Review Article and Photo Gallery Here: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...opsided-win-o/

ZagDad

From Cal-State Bakersfield Website:

CSUB Drops Hard Fought Game at GU
    Game Recap: Women's Basketball | November 10, 2019

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. – CSU Bakersfield's women's basketball team had spurts of good basketball on Sunday afternoon but did not shoot well against a high-powered Gonzaga squad that's receiving votes in the national poll. The Roadrunners were unable to close the scoring gap and fell to the Zags, 92-48 on the road.

Freshman guard Lexus Green led CSUB in scoring. The native of Bakersfield had nine points off the bench. Jasmine Dixon had seven while Vanessa Austin and Mackenzie Bond each added six points.

Both teams started the contest 100% from the field. It was 3-3 after the first two possessions of the quarter, but Gonzaga had a 6-5 lead three minutes into the period. The Zags closed the first quarter on a 10-5 run and led 16-10 at the end of the period.

A 14-0 run out of a GU timeout stretched their lead to twenty halfway through the second quarter and the Roadrunners were unable to close the gap from their down 44-21 at halftime.

Bakersfield checks in at 1-2 overall after the loss at Gonzaga. The Roadrunners regroup over the next six days before playing host to Fresno Pacific on Sunday, Nov. 17.
    Article Link: https://gorunners.com/news/2019/11/1...ame-at-gu.aspx

ZagDad

From the Slipper Still Fits:

Gonzaga Women Dominate Bakersfield in Opener
    Kayleigh Truong is going to be a star
    By Steven Karr Nov 10, 2019, 9:36pm ES

The Gonzaga Women finally tipped off their season on Sunday afternoon and they came out firing. True freshman Kayleigh Truong led all scorers with 18 points off the bench and the Bulldogs smacked Cal State Bakersfield, 92-48. Four Zags reached double figures.

Bakersfield kept it close for a quarter, but the Zags used a 16-0 run midway through the second quarter to break open the game. Truong, one half of the twin sensations from Texas, went 6-for-9 from the field, including 4-for-6 from deep, in her first collegiate game. Katie Campbell started out her senior year draining four more threes and scoring 13 points. The team went 10-for-22 from deep, which is encouraging after a less than stellar season from beyond the arc last year.

Speaking of twins, both Jenn and LeeAnne Wirth started their seasons with efficient offensive outputs. Jenn scored 17 on 6-of-9 shooting and grabbed six rebounds. LeeAnne was a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor and scored 14 points. The two combined to go 9-for-12 from the foul line, blocked three shots and collected four steals.

In her first game back from injury, Jill Townsend played a team-high 25 minutes, scoring nine points and grabbing nine rebounds. Perhaps the most impressive stat was starting point guard Jessie Loera dishing out nine assists. As a team, Gonzaga had 22 assists on 33 made baskets.

Gonzaga held Bakersfield to 33 percent shooting and forced 22 turnovers. They scored 35 points off those turnovers. The women are back in action on Thursday night at home against Tennessee-Martin before heading to Stanford a week from Sunday.
    Entire Article can be found Here: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...ield-in-opener

ZagDad