Thread: Potential #1 Draft pick ruled ineligible -- James Wiseman

Default Potential #1 Draft pick ruled ineligible -- James Wiseman

Interesting impact for the #14/15 ranked team in the country.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    · 57m
    The NCAA has ruled Memphis F/C James Wiseman -- the possible No. 1 overall pick in 2020 NBA Draft -- ineligible, his lawyers said in Memphis.

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    · 47m
    Memphis coach Penny Hardaway assisted Wiseman and his family's move to Memphis in 2008, attorney Leslie Ballin said in a news conference --- and the NCAA has deemed Hardaway a booster.

Evan Daniels
    @EvanDaniels
    ·
    7m
    Memphis announced that James Wiseman will play tonight due to an “emergency temporary restraining order.”

Mods move when you see fit.

Can't wait to listen to Gary Parrish podcast.

Weird situation. The NCAA had previously cleared him before looking deeper into the records provided. I hope he gets cleared at the end of the day, but people have been declared ineligible for less.

Judge Roy Bean ruling? Didn’t take long for Penny to be tarnished. Is he still a bright new coaching star?

Hardaway provided $11,500 for moving expenses.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...51469416140800

2008? The Memphis statement on Twitter says it occurred when he was in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    2008? The Memphis statement on Twitter says it occurred when he was in high school.
    Corrected to 2017.

Hardaway by definition was a booster.... also an alumnus and now the coach... Fitz lost his gig for less... was the money paid back? WTF are the rules for?

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Hardaway by definition was a booster.... also an alumnus and now the coach... Fitz lost his gig for less... was the money paid back? WTF are the rules for?

Go!! Zags!!!
    Sounds like they found new documentation of the loan after initially clearing him. Paying for him to move so you could coach him in high school, shady.

Should have been 100% unequivocally ethical and hired his dad for some bull$%&! job. [/sarcasm]

Um...he's playing right now.

edit--commentator just now said temporary restraining order reversing his ineligibility

Memphis not only has Penny Hardaway as their HC, but Mike Miller as an assistant. Undoubtedly they would beat any other staff in the country 2 on 2.

I thought it was interesting Memphis said they knew nothing of the loan, seems like something Penny maybe should have told them about.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Can't wait to listen to Gary Parrish podcast.
    No lie. Such a Memphis homer
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Corrected to 2017.
    The contribution to Memphis that qualifies Hardaway as a booster was $1m in 2008.

The financial assistance from a Memphis booster (Hardaway) was $11,500 in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    The contribution to Memphis that qualifies Hardaway as a booster was $1m in 2008.

The financial assistance from a Memphis booster (Hardaway) was $11,500 in 2017.
    Thanks.

If Memphis and Coach $ Hardaway think this is a draw a line in the sand and fight NCAA to contest their inconsistent enforcement of rules violations kind of opportunity, they are sadly mistaken. As Bilas, who I generally disregard as just another Dukie homer, pointed out: this is a very clear violation of NCAA rules re: impermissible benefits. By contesting it and letting the ineligible player play anyway, NCAA now has right to ban Memphis from postseason play this year...and probably has to else set the precedent for all schools to blow off the rules.

Short sighted grandstanding move by Memphis & Hardaway. The team and players will pay the price.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    If Memphis and Coach $ Hardaway think this is a draw a line in the sand and fight NCAA to contest their inconsistent enforcement of rules violations kind of opportunity, they are sadly mistaken. As Bilas, who I generally disregard as just another Dukie homer, pointed out: this is a very clear violation of NCAA rules re: impermissible benefits. By contesting it and letting the ineligible player play anyway, NCAA now has right to ban Memphis from postseason play this year...and probably has to else set the precedent for all schools to blow off the rules.

Short sighted grandstanding move by Memphis & Hardaway. The team and players will pay the price.
    The Athletic has a great article on the issue. It is Wiseman's family that sought the court injunction. The injunction is against Memphis since it is the school's responsibility to determine ineligibility and withhold athletes from games.

By not being able to withhold Wiseman, they now run the risk of having the NCAA determine games played with an eligible play are forfeit.

At this point, it is in Memphis' interest to have Wiseman sit so they can count those games against the inevitable suspension and get him back sooner.

It is baffling that this didn't ring any alarm bells with Hardaway. He isn't a newby to High School recruiting and should have at least wondered if there might be something to report with his payment to the family.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Lord knows what all has gone on high schools all over the country. I hate seeing kids penalized over and over because of of stupid things grownups do. The kids are powerless.
    Parlez-vous français?

It is baffling that this didn't ring any alarm bells with Hardaway. He isn't a newby to High School recruiting and should have at least wondered if there might be something to report with his payment to the family.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Did it not ring any alarm bells with Hardaway or did he just think it wouldnt come up?

With Wiseman ineligible again, does that mean Memphis has to vacate their loss to Oregon?

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Did it not ring any alarm bells with Hardaway or did he just think it wouldnt come up?[/QUOTE]

Maybe he got away with this, when he played in college.

I lost a lot of respect for Penny when he disrespectfully treated Rick Barnes at his presser after the Tennessee/Memphis game last year. Rick Barnes is one of the most liked men in the coaching profession, and close to Few.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I also have zero respect with for the way Penny treated Coach Rick Barnes at Tennessee last season, one of the nicest in coaching and a respected by Few.
    Yep that series is going away after the current deal because of Penny. It's too bad for the state of Tennessee that their two big basketball schools won't be playing each other. Reminds of what happened with UW and GU. I lived just outside Knoxville for a few years and became a fan, still my 2nd favorite team, and love what Barnes has done and what hes got going forward. I'm hoping the NCAA rules Memphis ineligible for the tourney this year for playing a player two games after the NCAA told them he was ineligible. Any other school would have sat the player until cleared, but maybe Penny thinks hes bigger than the NCAA.