Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonzaga vs Alabama St Post Game thoughts and analysis

Best fight song ever. Norfolk. We don’t drink, we don’t smoke, norrrrrrrrr-folk.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Yup, those California folks sure are wacky. Why do they resist the good-old-fashioned, traditional, manly, not-weird mascots that are so popular around the rest of the country ... like the Syracuse Orange (First adopted in 2004, after the term "Orangemen" -- so-named because of their dominant uniform color -- was abandoned. But the uniform colors did not change.), the Dartmouth Big Green (when they got rid of "The Indians" as a mascot the unofficial mascot became not a character named Greenman nor Greenie, but a beer keg named ... Keggy), The Richmond Spiders (the only spiders in Division 1), the Arkansas Boll Weevils (a 6mm long insect that reportedly terrified cotton plantation owners), the Virginia Tech Hokies (it's sort of a turkey), the Wichita State Wheat Shockers (No relation to something shocking, a "wheat shocker" in agricultural parlance is a wheat harvester. His harvested wheat bundle is apparently called a wheat shock.), the Williams College Ephs (Short for Ephraims, but the mascot looks less like an Ephraim than a purple cow.), the Saint Louis University Billikens (A charm doll created decades ago by Florence Pretz of Kansas City, Missouri, who is said to have created it after seeing the mysterious figure in a dream.), the Ohio State Buckeyes (It's a local nut.), the Evergreen State Geoducks (It's a local mollusk.), the Delta State Fighting Okra (Is it a local MMA vegetable?), the Campbell University Fighting Camels (Is it a local MMA dromedary?), the Akron Zips (Shorthand for zippers.), and the Nebraska Cornhuskers (its ... someone who prepares corn for a meal?)?.

My personal favorite good-old-fashioned, traditional, manly, not-weird mascots are found at the Rhode Island School of Design. "As might be considered fitting for an arts school [that has been around for 142 years], the symbolism [i.e. mascoting, or "team naming"] used for the [RISD] teams is unique. The hockey team is called the "Nads", and their cheer is "Go Nads!" ... The basketball team is known simply as the "Balls", and their slogan is, "When the heat is on, the Balls stick together.""
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_...hool_of_Design

So in conclusion, CPkZagFan, I agree -- if you want to take a swipe at a state because you find a unique school mascot name there, then you certainly can choose California for your target. And if you, CPkZagFan, are in fact a grad of the Rhode Island School of Design, that might help to explain your choice!

ps: If you're wondering which is the least unique choice of mascot, “Bulldogs” is the most frequently used nickname/mascot in NCAA Division One athletics." -- 14 teams use it at last count.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...on-one#slide18

Missionaries, Missionaries, we're on top!

Note: Whitman is now the Blues, not the Missionaries.

Went to UC Irvine long time ago. At that time it was a brand new school and wanted to get in on the we're different idea. Mascot the Anteater and the rallying cry ZOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Yup, those California folks sure are wacky. Why do they resist the good-old-fashioned, traditional, manly, not-weird mascots that are so popular around the rest of the country ... like the Syracuse Orange (First adopted in 2004, after the term "Orangemen" -- so-named because of their dominant uniform color -- was abandoned. But the uniform colors did not change.), the Dartmouth Big Green (when they got rid of "The Indians" as a mascot the unofficial mascot became not a character named Greenman nor Greenie, but a beer keg named ... Keggy), The Richmond Spiders (the only spiders in Division 1), the Arkansas Boll Weevils (a 6mm long insect that reportedly terrified cotton plantation owners), the Virginia Tech Hokies (it's sort of a turkey), the Wichita State Wheat Shockers (No relation to something shocking, a "wheat shocker" in agricultural parlance is a wheat harvester. His harvested wheat bundle is apparently called a wheat shock.), the Williams College Ephs (Short for Ephraims, but the mascot looks less like an Ephraim than a purple cow.), the Saint Louis University Billikens (A charm doll created decades ago by Florence Pretz of Kansas City, Missouri, who is said to have created it after seeing the mysterious figure in a dream.), the Ohio State Buckeyes (It's a local nut.), the Evergreen State Geoducks (It's a local mollusk.), the Delta State Fighting Okra (Is it a local MMA vegetable?), the Campbell University Fighting Camels (Is it a local MMA dromedary?), the Akron Zips (Shorthand for zippers.), and the Nebraska Cornhuskers (its ... someone who prepares corn for a meal?)?.

My personal favorite good-old-fashioned, traditional, manly, not-weird mascots are found at the Rhode Island School of Design. "As might be considered fitting for an arts school [that has been around for 142 years], the symbolism [i.e. mascoting, or "team naming"] used for the [RISD] teams is unique. The hockey team is called the "Nads", and their cheer is "Go Nads!" ... The basketball team is known simply as the "Balls", and their slogan is, "When the heat is on, the Balls stick together.""
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_...hool_of_Design

So in conclusion, CPkZagFan, I agree -- if you want to take a swipe at a state because you find a unique school mascot name there, then you certainly can choose California for your target. And if you, CPkZagFan, are in fact a grad of the Rhode Island School of Design, that might help to explain your choice!

ps: If you're wondering which is the least unique choice of mascot, “Bulldogs” is the most frequently used nickname/mascot in NCAA Division One athletics." -- 14 teams use it at last count.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...on-one#slide18
    This made me laugh........Awesome post...

Brian Michaelson said on post game radio last evening rebounding and the failure to close out on the threes were his early takeaway from the game. He mentioned Few's second half timeout to clean up the the three point shooting but as game stats indicated there is work to do. Part of this is not communicating and there is a link to John Blanchette's column elsewhere here addressing that issue. Michaelson also noted now that the season has officially started there are nine games to be played in the month of November, including opponents much better than Alabama St. I haven't checked but Michaelson said even North Dakota could present some serious problems as they have a lot back (this could be coach speak, I have not checked) In any event Michaelson said the youngsters are going to have to grow up in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    Yes I did notice. On the plus side, having just Heister with Fox opened up the mics a bit. I did not hear, was Dichau assigned to another game last night? Anyhow, I did not miss him!
    Dan D. was doing color for CBSSN on the UNR vs. Utah game.