Thread: Key Rule Changes for 2019/20 Season

Default Key Rule Changes for 2019/20 Season

This article provides a good review:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...x1e8r2xmwsw2c9

This is the most interesting rule change for me:

— Emphasizing the elimination of flopping. Instead of the imperious “get up” gesture an official was free to present in the past — which acknowledged the ref wasn’t buying a player’s attempt to draw a charge but carried no penalty — refs now have a call that might help eliminate that scourge from the game.

If an official sees what they consider a flop, they can blow the whistle and then signal by extending both arms forward from the shoulder. That indicates the player has faked a play designed to draw an incorrect call favoring his team. It could be an attempt to draw a charge, a leg-kick on a 3-point attempt meant to draw a shooting foul or possibly a head snap by a ball carrier when he moves past a defender.

The first such call is a warning for delay of game. The second against that team -- any delay, in any cateogry including another flop -- is a technical foul.

CDC thanks for posting and glad to see that rule being implemented!

If memory serves, when new rules are implemented they are definitely called in the season's beginning; however, not so much at the end of the season...hopefully it works...time will tell

Oh, that is interesting. I do like them rolling it into the delay of game category. Remarkably clear approach from them.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    This article provides a good review:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...x1e8r2xmwsw2c9

This is the most interesting rule change for me:
    why not simply enforce the rules that already exist

if someone "flops" and no further impedence by this action just ignore it they look stupid

if someone "flops" and then there is contact that defender is NOT in a legal defending position so it is a foul....simply call the foul
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Why change the rules to give the red another judgement call? Makes no sense to me and is horrible for the game. Just call the damn foul or let someone look like they forgot how to play
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Okay. Are flopping fouls reviewable and overturn-able?

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    Okay. Are flopping fouls reviewable and overturn-able?
    Guess we’ll see when they call one against us in crunch time
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Ohhhh how many flops has there been in particular on us over the years in WCC lol. This is NOT good for weaker sister programs inside the paint on our giants. And, I will say yes we’ve been guilty in the past too (Sabonis, Wiltjer, Perkins probably to name a few).

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    why not simply enforce the rules that already exist

if someone "flops" and no further impedence by this action just ignore it they look stupid

if someone "flops" and then there is contact that defender is NOT in a legal defending position so it is a foul....simply call the foul
    One could argue it won't stop players from trying if there's no penalty to trying. Except in football, I'm all for a more physical brand of play, and I like that players are now incentivized to play through contact.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Why change the rules to give the red another judgement call? Makes no sense to me and is horrible for the game. Just call the damn foul or let someone look like they forgot how to play
    BINGO
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Flopping is already against the rules in soccer, if you want to see a good example of how well that will work out.

- I'm glad for the rule, just because it puts it into the rule book....trying to cheat has no place in basketball or any game.

- that said, I do not expect to see this called very much, it will be rare.

- high school basketball has had this rule for years and years. I officiate jr and sr high basketball, this is very rarely called, I repeat very rare. I think it could be called more often.

- but i think if it was called just once, against every team, the coaches and team would take quite notice and perhaps stop the flopping.