• Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Key Rule Changes for 2019/20 Season

This article provides a good review:

This is the most interesting rule change for me:

— Emphasizing the elimination of flopping. Instead of the imperious “get up” gesture an official was free to present in the past — which acknowledged the ref wasn’t buying a player’s attempt to draw a charge but carried no penalty — refs now have a call that might help eliminate that scourge from the game.

If an official sees what they consider a flop, they can blow the whistle and then signal by extending both arms forward from the shoulder. That indicates the player has faked a play designed to draw an incorrect call favoring his team. It could be an attempt to draw a charge, a leg-kick on a 3-point attempt meant to draw a shooting foul or possibly a head snap by a ball carrier when he moves past a defender.

The first such call is a warning for delay of game. The second against that team -- any delay, in any cateogry including another flop -- is a technical foul.
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

CDC thanks for posting and glad to see that rule being implemented!

If memory serves, when new rules are implemented they are definitely called in the season's beginning; however, not so much at the end of the season...hopefully it works...time will tell

Comment

• webspinnre
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Oh, that is interesting. I do like them rolling it into the delay of game category. Remarkably clear approach from them.
      I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Hoopaholic
        • Mar 2008

why not simply enforce the rules that already exist

if someone "flops" and no further impedence by this action just ignore it they look stupid

if someone "flops" and then there is contact that defender is NOT in a legal defending position so it is a foul....simply call the foul
        The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

Why change the rules to give the red another judgement call? Makes no sense to me and is horrible for the game. Just call the damn foul or let someone look like they forgot how to play
          Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• StatZag19
            Professional Zag Fan
            • May 2019

Okay. Are flopping fouls reviewable and overturn-able?
            I take nothing nor anyone on this forum seriously in any form or way. It is no more or less than a satirical board until legitimacy is restored.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by StatZag19 View Post
              Okay. Are flopping fouls reviewable and overturn-able?
              Guess we’ll see when they call one against us in crunch time
              Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• CanadianZagsFan
                Kennel Club Material
                • Jun 2016

Ohhhh how many flops has there been in particular on us over the years in WCC lol. This is NOT good for weaker sister programs inside the paint on our giants. And, I will say yes we’ve been guilty in the past too (Sabonis, Wiltjer, Perkins probably to name a few).

Comment

• zagdontzig
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                  why not simply enforce the rules that already exist

if someone "flops" and no further impedence by this action just ignore it they look stupid

if someone "flops" and then there is contact that defender is NOT in a legal defending position so it is a foul....simply call the foul
                  One could argue it won't stop players from trying if there's no penalty to trying. Except in football, I'm all for a more physical brand of play, and I like that players are now incentivized to play through contact.
                  Originally posted by Reborn
                  Go Zags!!!
                  Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
                    Why change the rules to give the red another judgement call? Makes no sense to me and is horrible for the game. Just call the damn foul or let someone look like they forgot how to play
                    BINGO
                    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• zaguarxj
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Flopping is already against the rules in soccer, if you want to see a good example of how well that will work out.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                        Zag for Life
                        • Aug 2012

- I'm glad for the rule, just because it puts it into the rule book....trying to cheat has no place in basketball or any game.

- that said, I do not expect to see this called very much, it will be rare.

- high school basketball has had this rule for years and years. I officiate jr and sr high basketball, this is very rarely called, I repeat very rare. I think it could be called more often.

- but i think if it was called just once, against every team, the coaches and team would take quite notice and perhaps stop the flopping.

Comment

Working...
                        X