Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet Drew Timme, Gonzaga’s confident, loyal and ultra-skilled freshman

Default Meet Drew Timme, Gonzaga’s confident, loyal and ultra-skilled freshman

Great feature on Drew Timme today in THE ATHLETIC... worth your time.

https://theathletic.com/1344969/2019...shared-article

Best paragraph:

Besides, expanding his game did not necessitate an excursion across the country. Resources were abundant in his backyard. Skill and strength trainers. A modern, state-of-the art sports complex. Like-minded teenage hoopers in search of greatness. A network of support. Everything at his disposal to ensure playing at a heralded school such as Gonzaga was realistic.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I already love him and his winning attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Best paragraph:
    Don't get me wrong because I love seeing stuff like that in print and it's 100% accurate, but the author is a Zag and the sports editor of the Gonzaga Bulletin so some hyperbole is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Don't get me wrong because I love seeing stuff like that in print and it's 100% accurate, but the author is a Zag and the sports editor of the Gonzaga Bulletin so some hyperbole is to be expected.
    Figured as much... but still like seeing it.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Fair - but it’s also written in a national publication - at this point one of the most respected national sports publications - and edited by the editors at said publication - and passed through as not being ridiculous. This isn’t our Zag guy writing on his blog.

Richard Fox offered this compliment to Drew during the broadcast of the Pacific beat-down:

“It’s difficult to come into a program like Gonzaga as a freshman and come in seamlessly,” Fox said. “He’s done that. I’m surprised with that. I thought you would have seen a little more of a struggle.

“He plays very much like a junior would.”
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-27-2020 at 06:56 AM.

I am hard pressed to remember another near seven footer who was as quick to dive on the floor for a loose ball as Drew has been. Of course, the kid is going to get better but he sure brings his lunch bucket to work every day. Grit!

Drew & GU are a good fit. Heck, the whole team is a good fit.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Honestly, I feel like the last 3 or 4 game he has started to really blossom. Up to that point I felt like he was a bit more reserved and while not low energy, he didn't have that energy you saw in videos of him in HS. Now... now it seems that player is starting to come back out as he gets more comfortable in the system. If this is his growth progression... next year and possibly the year after that are going to be AMAZING.

I remember saying, early on at the beginning of the season, that I thought Timme's footwork looked a little clumsy. I haven't seen that in quite awhile now. My guess is that he's a really intelligent, fast learner. He's come a long ways in a short time. And the Zags have needed him to because Tillie needed to comeback from his injury slowly. Timme, along with Gilder, has Gonzaga's bench as good as any in the country, if not the best. He is tough on defense, and getting better every week.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I've always said that Drew is what would come out if you had some sort of factory that could create a Zag. The tenacity of Mike Hart, Skillset of KO and competitive spirit/trashtalking of Adam Morrison. He is one year away from being the most hated player in the WCC and I'm 100% here for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I remember saying, early on at the beginning of the season, that I thought Timme's footwork looked a little clumsy. I haven't seen that in quite awhile now. My guess is that he's a really intelligent, fast learner. He's come a long ways in a short time. And the Zags have needed him to because Tillie needed to comeback from his injury slowly. Timme, along with Gilder, has Gonzaga's bench as good as any in the country, if not the best. He is tough on defense, and getting better every week.

Go Zags!!!
    On the intelligence and fast learner front, he appeared to be telling Zhakarov where to be or what to do during a dead ball situation on their defensive end against Pacific. I think Coach Few said that he has made a jump in following the defensive game plan and knowing where to be. (It’s possibly also why Zhakarov isn’t seeing the floor much).

thanks for sharing that

Drew is fun to watch compete, competes hard, gets beat here and there like everyone but gets his too and doesn't seem to let it defeat him. He fights back. looks like he believes he is supposed to make plays and be the man when it's his play to make

I think Fox's comment speaks to Drew's intelligence and maturity as noted already in this thread, in being able to settle into the Few environment and see his game expressions grow so clearly, especially on D imo. Drew has really been a player on that end and helped fill some things stepping up seems to me

timme is probably always going to have a little bit of awkwardness in his game and he has a lower ceiling due to the lack of athleticism (nba viewpoint), but if he puts on 10lbs of muscle gets a little stronger and improves his shooting he can become a dominant college player.

He is one year away from being the most hated player in the WCC and I'm 100% here for it.
    Exactly what I've been thinking, Fanatic.

After watching his HS videos I was thinking that he will be the Zags Omar Sanham.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I've always said that Drew is what would come out if you had some sort of factory that could create a Zag. The tenacity of Mike Hart, Skillset of KO and competitive spirit/trashtalking of Adam Morrison. He is one year away from being the most hated player in the WCC and I'm 100% here for it.
    +1. Already love his game, and the next year Ballo and him will be unmatched.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I think that he is doing super this year. But I think that next year is going to be better. Think of what practices must be like this year. You have Timme, Petrusev, Tillie, Bailo, Arlauskas, and Kispert practicing against each other. All of them will be back next year except Tillie for sure and maybe Petrusev. But this year practicing against each other has done super for preparing them for next year. I think that Timme, Kispert, and Bailo are going to come in ready to play. This will allow Arlauskas and Watson to slowly work into the front court.

Next years team is going to be stronger in the front court with more "newbies" at the guard positions. The guard positions will be Ayayi (I hope), and Kispert as the experience. Then Suggs, Harris and Strawther working to integrate into the backcourt. Their upside is going to be great, but the front court is going to have to play solid in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Exactly what I've been thinking, Fanatic.

After watching his HS videos I was thinking that he will be the Zags Omar Sanham.
    Samhan was a pr!ck with ears. I'd rather the Zags didn't have a lowlife like that on their roster.

Omar missed his calling. Would have been a natural as a WWE villain. He seemed to like the bad boy persona, suspect a lot of that was an act. Probably a great teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Samhan was a pr!ck with ears. I'd rather the Zags didn't have a lowlife like that on their roster.
    I needed a laugh to end my day and this gave it to me!! THX

POST SCRIPT: 27 minutes after my reply above, I'm still laughing at this! Easily amused in Liberty Lake...
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    If he had been a Zag he would have been a fan favorite. JMHO.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    If he had been a Zag he would have been a fan favorite. JMHO.
    Adam Morrison could fill that role at times. He had some Snark along with the Bark.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Time is nowhere near a villain. I pro it’s we want from a skilled and hardworking young player. He competes and doesn’t well. More skin the past month. He’s going to be a very good big for us. Great sense of humor too with a ready smile. Glad we have him.. next year 15/8.

Remembering KO as a freshman. His feet were a little slow and some awkwardness. We could see his potential but he was nowhere near the force he became. I see that potential with Timme and he’s ahead of where KO was as a freshman except KO was pretty good shooting at distance. Add that to Timme’s game and lookout, he’d be a force to recon with. I like that Texas work ethic. I’m betting he is NBA bound in time.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!