Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Impressive start in exhibition

Default Impressive start in exhibition

The Zags put on quite a show against Lewis and Clarke State. The bigs did great as expected, even without Tillie, but the guard play was just as impressive.

I think the biggest question mark for me coming into tonight was how far along the backcourt was at this point. And even though our opposition was outclassed at every position, you could still see Gilder and Woolrigde have the game under control. They’re amazing athletes for sure, but I was so impressed with the poise that they played with. It really is a relief, at least for me, to know that these grad transfers have the helm this season.

I hope others chime in on what they liked. There were many bright spots for sure, like Watson’s performance. It was a great start for Gonzaga.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Watson will play #2....like him a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Watson was amazing, but he's not a guard... if Ravet can't go our fourth "guard" will be either Kispert or Arlauskas.

I wasn't able to see the game (had to listen to it on radio), but if I had I'm sure I would have loved it to and found it impressive. I can hardly wait to see them. The Zags certainly seem as good as advertised. They certainly smashed Lewis & Clark State. Personally, I don't put much stock into these exhibition gates in terms of judging ANYTHING about the team or ANY player. I was reading the Preseason Game Chat Thread and already some fans have picked out a favorite scapegoat (Corey Kispert) for this year. It's really so funny to me how some fans just need someone to "rag" on. They got to place their negativity on someone. Maybe Corey doesn't get all fired up during an exhibition game. I feel so sorry for these fans because Corey Kispert is going to start ALL YEAR and as long as he's a Zag. So because we're a democratic society here we'll have to listen to this all year, and most likely as long as he plays at GU.

I have always liked Kispert, and always will, and I look forward to watching him have a GREAT year. I also guarantee you I will enjoy watching him play every game. And I hate to tell some of you "know it all 'arm chair pointguards' He has a beautiful shots and he will win some games this year with that awesome 3 point shot.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Meant to say Gilder and Woolridge. Already fixed. Had Watson on the brain for some reason.

Watson was incredibly impressive. I can't remember being more impressed with a freshman at Gonzaga in, well....ever. He won't be around more than 2 years. That kid has NBA written all over him.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Watson was incredibly impressive. I can't remember being more impressed with a freshman at Gonzaga in, well....ever. He won't be around more than 2 years. That kid has NBA written all over him.
    I haven't seen him play yet, but my son Damian said the same thing about him as you when he first saw him play last year in a HS game.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

In traffic, and in the key, his defense reminded me of Matisse Thybulle, always looking around to where he thinks the pass might go.

Gonzaga Kennel Club
    @ZagKennelClub
    · 1h
    Students in the kennel wanting UNC tickets stay seated after the game until all NON-students are out.

I'm sure Corey is a great guy, but the overall talent level just isn't there. I doubt he ever plays in the NBA. As to Anton Watson, wow. With no Brock, this was his chance to shine, and did he ever. I think he earned a starting spot in Tuesday's Alabama State game.
    IF YOU ZAG, PLEASE DON'T ZIG

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    Watson was amazing, but he's not a guard... if Ravet can't go our fourth "guard" will be either Kispert or Arlauskas.
    Watson was my first star of the game, he showed he has a complete game that is ready for this level. Timme and Joel get my other stars. Joel was really efficient out there. Good assists, only 1 TO.

The guard rotation is clearly gonna be between three players, Gilder, Woolridge and Ayayi.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I'm sure Corey is a great guy, but the overall talent level just isn't there. I doubt he ever plays in the NBA. As to Anton Watson, wow. With no Brock, this was his chance to shine, and did he ever. I think he earned a starting spot in Tuesday's Alabama State game.
    I concur Kispert will be a good bench player and leader, could have just had a bad game, but based on this game he does not look starter or NBA ready.

Speaking of Watson, how about those steals? His long arms were on display during that little stretch in the first half when we put on the full court press. And the guards, including Ayayi, played aggressive on defense all game long. Another great sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    not

It was an interesting game for a lot of reasons. L-C did not roll over in the first 5 minutes and they played scrappy throughout most of the game. As you would expect, the offensive sets were simple (lots of high-low) and bigs had it their way all night. Woolridge and Gilder are both very talented, experienced, strong and smooth. Watson had a big night and clearly has worked on his 3’s. Timme is going to be a beast and appears to be one of those players whose motor never stops and has only one speed. Petrusev looked really strong and showed some high and low post moves that he clearly worked on over the summer. Ayayi has improved tremendously since last year. Gone is the deer in the headlights look that he seemed to have last year and he plays with significantly more confidence. While it’s too early to make predictions, I think he could have a very big year. Overall, we are young and showed it in several spot. The press that we used in the first half was effective and it created a lot of turnovers and easy baskets for Watson and others. There were a number of defensive lapses and I would suspect there will be lots of work in the next few days. Overall, a good outing for the young Zags with lots of growing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I wasn't able to see the game (had to listen to it on radio), but if I had I'm sure I would have loved it to and found it impressive. I can hardly wait to see them. The Zags certainly seem as good as advertised. They certainly smashed Lewis & Clark State. Personally, I don't put much stock into these exhibition gates in terms of judging ANYTHING about the team or ANY player. I was reading the Preseason Game Chat Thread and already some fans have picked out a favorite scapegoat (Corey Kispert) for this year. It's really so funny to me how some fans just need someone to "rag" on. They got to place their negativity on someone. Maybe Corey doesn't get all fired up during an exhibition game. I feel so sorry for these fans because Corey Kispert is going to start ALL YEAR and as long as he's a Zag. So because we're a democratic society here we'll have to listen to this all year, and most likely as long as he plays at GU.

I have always liked Kispert, and always will, and I look forward to watching him have a GREAT year. I also guarantee you I will enjoy watching him play every game. And I hate to tell some of you "know it all 'arm chair pointguards' He has a beautiful shots and he will win some games this year with that awesome 3 point shot.

Go Zags!!!
    Yep thanks reborn
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Completely agree. There was a point in the 1st half where he looked like an NBA player going against the CYO team. I sure hope to see that 3/4 press a lot more this season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I concur Kispert will be a good bench player and leader, could have just had a bad game, but based on this game he does not look starter or NBA ready.
    This is pretty ridiculous. Kispert literally started all year last year. He's going to start all year this year and be a vital player for us.

This is pretty ridiculous. Kispert literally started all year last year. He's going to start all year this year and be a vital player for us.
    Exactly thanks for being reasonable
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Hence the "based on this game" you're honestly telling me that based on tonight alone you would start Kispert at the 3 over Joel?

Maybe but that won’t refute the point.

Hence the "based on this game" you're honestly telling me that based on tonight alone you would start Kispert at the 3 over Joel?
    Absolutely. Without Ravet, we only have 3 guards. I sure as hell wouldn't start one of them at the three.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Watson was my first star of the game, he showed he has a complete game that is ready for this level. Timme and Joel get my other stars. Joel was really efficient out there. Good assists, only 1 TO.

The guard rotation is clearly gonna be between three players, Gilder, Woolridge and Ayayi.
    I like the communication between Watson and Ayayi.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Absolutely. Without Ravet, we only have 3 guards. I sure as hell wouldn't start one of them at the three.
    I hate to break it to you but Kispert, Gilder, and Woolridge all started today. Don't play the SF card either cause we all know that means tall guard.

I hate to break it to you but Kispert, Gilder, and Woolridge all started today. Don't play the SF card either cause we all know that means tall guard.
    Don't break it to me. I said I would NOT start Joel over Kispert. It seemed as if you were saying they should have started Joel over Kispert.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!