Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Impressive start in exhibition

Watson’s versatility really impressed me. For weeks, folks on the board have speculated that he might play the wing. I thought he was more likely to be a fluid power forward in the Elias Harris mold. After watching last night’s performance, I believe he will become our best offensive wing, since Adam Morrison. His shooting stroke, ball-handling, and passing were way better than I had anticipated.
    ďThere is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.Ē
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Iím finding it difficult to understand this dumping on Kispert. In the video package thatís played just prior to the teamís starting lineup, he is the only player that has an actual in game highlight. Granted, we have a ton of new faces who are wearing a GU uniform for the first time, but itís not hard to infer from that video who the team thinks is going to be a star/leader. If the season plays out with him showing some of the same defensive lapses and inabilities against quicker players, maybe Iíll change my mind about his importance to the team, but aside from not hitting every shot he took (how dare he miss), I thought Corey looked good. In fact, late in the game he repeated the move that was highlighted in the video package; a wicked cross over, that buckled the defender. I guess some people need a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Not much to be gained from watching that contest. I would rather have witnessed the scrimmage against MSU. This was barely a workout.

Nearly every bucket by the Zags was uncontested. The bigs size advantage allowed unimpeded passes from high to low and the finishes were to be expected with no hand within a foot of the release point. The physical advantages on defense were so overwhelming it made all the Zag defenders look like Kawhi Leonard. The press accentuated the disparity in skill level and it was almost embarrassing to watch Watson make steals and deflections at the point of that defense. None of the Zag guards faced any real resistance when they were handling the ball so there was really no way to guage their handle.

The value in this scrimmage was to test lineup combinations and practice both offensive and defensive sets. For the fans it was simply a preview of the potential of a talented group.

I don't think the staff will have a lot to work with here. Adversity sharpens tools and I didn't see any.
    Itís an NAIA team we played. I e workout but not much more. Our guys did well but weíll know more by the end of November.

What stood out most and the best stat of the game was our lack of foul trouble. Unbelievable for such a young aggressive team.
    PS I was asked by a youngster how I wanted to die. I said like my dad peaceful in my sleep , not screaming like all his passengers.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    What stood out most and the best stat of the game was our lack of foul trouble. Unbelievable for such a young aggressive team.
    PS I was asked by a youngster how I wanted to die. I said like my day peaceful in my sleep , not screaming like all his passengers.
    Yes, that was great, but 56.5% from the line?
    Parlez-vous franÁais?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    I’m finding it difficult to understand this dumping on Kispert. In the video package that’s played just prior to the team’s starting lineup, he is the only player that has an actual in game highlight. Granted, we have a ton of new faces who are wearing a GU uniform for the first time, but it’s not hard to infer from that video who the team thinks is going to be a star/leader. If the season plays out with him showing some of the same defensive lapses and inabilities against quicker players, maybe I’ll change my mind about his importance to the team, but aside from not hitting every shot he took (how dare he miss), I thought Corey looked good. In fact, late in the game he repeated the move that was highlighted in the video package; a wicked cross over, that buckled the defender. I guess some people need a villain.
    I think it’s easy to fall in love with the potential of freshmen and miss the amazing things our upperclassmen are doing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    Iím finding it difficult to understand this dumping on Kispert. In the video package thatís played just prior to the teamís starting lineup, he is the only player that has an actual in game highlight. Granted, we have a ton of new faces who are wearing a GU uniform for the first time, but itís not hard to infer from that video who the team thinks is going to be a star/leader. If the season plays out with him showing some of the same defensive lapses and inabilities against quicker players, maybe Iíll change my mind about his importance to the team, but aside from not hitting every shot he took (how dare he miss), I thought Corey looked good. In fact, late in the game he repeated the move that was highlighted in the video package; a wicked cross over, that buckled the defender. I guess some people need a villain.
    I don't think that 2-7 from 3pt is very good for someone who has the expectation to be our best deep threat this year. That being said its one game and he is a career 35% 3pt shooter. The real question is whether he can hold that shooting percentage with being expected to shoot at a higher clip then he has the last two years. I find it concerning that all of the 3pt shots he did take in that game were very uncontested and need to go down in a more competitive game.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I don't think that 2-7 from 3pt is very good for someone who has the expectation to be our best deep threat this year. That being said its one game and he is a career 35% 3pt shooter. The real question is whether he can hold that shooting percentage with being expected to shoot at a higher clip then he has the last two years. I find it concerning that all of the 3pt shots he did take in that game were very uncontested and need to go down in a more competitive game.
    Wow

Just wow.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Wow

Just wow.
    Damn, just damn. IIRC, Corey was our 4th or 5th option last year, but made huge plays and baskets at key moments. His body of work his first two years sets him up for a superlative season.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Damn, just damn. IIRC, Corey was our 4th or 5th option last year, but made huge plays and baskets at key moments. His body of work his first two years sets him up for a superlative season.

Tex, you’re the Timme expert. He was great but he looked lean to me. I guess I thought he would be a little beefier.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    That is correct. And he just may be the 4th, 5th or 6th option this year. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Tillie, Gilder, Watson, Timme, and Petrusev are all dynamic scorers that may well be as justified in taking crucial shots as Kispert. That doesn't mean Kispert can't provide much needed leadership for this team. Asking him to be more than he is seems unrealistic to me. He's a solid piece for this team. He doesn't need to be the star and it's questionable that he is capable of such a role.

I'll say this. If the Zags are reliant on Kispert to carry this team for long stretches during games and for the majority of games, this year will be disappointing for a lot of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    That is correct. And he just may be the 4th, 5th or 6th option this year. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Tillie, Gilder, Watson, Timme, and Petrusev are all dynamic scorers that may well be as justified in taking crucial shots as Kispert. That doesn't mean Kispert can't provide much needed leadership for this team. Asking him to be more than he is seems unrealistic to me. He's a solid piece for this team. He doesn't need to be the star and it's questionable that he is capable of such a role.

I'll say this. If the Zags are reliant on Kispert to carry this team for long stretches during games and for the majority of games, this year will be disappointing for a lot of fans.
    My guess is that Kispert will just get lucky ... kinda like he was just lucky to lead all scorers with 28 points against #1 Michigan State (that was what? ... 2 weeks ago?).

Yeah ... he'll get lucky plenty of times this year.

It HAS to be luck, as it's obvious that a slow guy from a small Western Washington high school can't be counted on .... so I'll take him getting lucky.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

My guess is that Kispert will just get lucky ... kinda like he was just lucky to lead all scorers with 28 points against #1 Michigan State (that was what? ... 2 weeks ago?).

It HAS to be luck, as it's obvious that a slow guy from a small Western Washington high school can't be counted on .... so I'll take him getting lucky.
    Where did I say he wasn't a good player?

If you are expecting him to carry this team, you are placing a burden on him that is unrealistic.

I'm looking forward to him having a very good year. From past performance, he is capable of that. Expecting him to be more than he is and then denigrating him for not reaching those expectations is what I fear.

Yeah idk I think people expect too much of Kispert. I saw some of that in some preseason posts. He's an excellent D1 player who would start or be the 6th man in most D1 programs, he'll make some money abroad after he's done at Gonzaga, he's durable, stays healthy and has good size. He's a really good player. But to think he is going to be our Ace or a reliable 1st or 2nd option is not correct and that's not a slight on him as a player just a reality based on the skill level the Zags have this year and next.

If he makes one more three:

3/7 from 3 = 9 points = 43% : 4.5/7 from two = 64% = His effective FG%

We'll have to see how it goes with the new 3-point line, but I'm not worried after one game. Someone can easily go 2/7 or 3/10 in warm ups with a small sample size. He should adjust to the mean over the course of the year.

(The team field goal percentage last year was 53%)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Tex, you’re the Timme expert. He was great but he looked lean to me. I guess I thought he would be a little beefier.
    Does look likes he's lost some weight compared to his HS videos... Mama must have some darn good home cookin.. Timme is as good as expected...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Does look likes he's lost some weight compared to his HS videos... Mama must have some darn good home cookin.. Timme is as good as expected...

Go!! Zags!!!
    Have a feeling it's our last year with Watson.

Even if he only averages 6 ppg, the NBA will see his obvious potential.

6'10", can shoot, play D, pass, has decent to solid handles, play 3 positions as Coach Few said, rebounds well, and plus athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Have a feeling it's our last year with Watson.

Even if he only averages 6 ppg, the NBA will see his obvious potential.

6'10", can shoot, play D, pass, has decent to solid handles, play 3 positions as Coach Few said, rebounds well, and plus athleticism.

A domestic Doncic.

Watson isn't 6'10"... they list him at 6'8" and that seems about right - unless you count his hair!
    ďWhen I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.Ē

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    If he makes one more three:

3/7 from 3 = 9 points = 43% : 4.5/7 from two = 64% = His effective FG%

We'll have to see how it goes with the new 3-point line, but I'm not worried after one game. Someone can easily go 2/7 or 3/10 in warm ups with a small sample size. He should adjust to the mean over the course of the year.

(The team field goal percentage last year was 53%)
    I don't like to spend time in what if's, because the opposite argument could be made if he takes another and misses it which would be 25%. I agree its too small of a sample size to see what Kispert is going to play like this year. But I like Kispert alot and I think Kispert like a Dranginis, David Stockton, Mike Hart, a good leader and role player. I hope he proves me wrong and is the star everyone was talking about this off season. I agree with markburn tho, if you are expecting Kispert to be more then a 10-12 point player per game, you're in for a disappointment.

I will add that Kispert doesn't need to be a star either because he has tons of other talent around him.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    It’s been 40+ years for me, but COG food should take care of that “problem.”

I don't like to spend time in what if's, because the opposite argument could be made if he takes another and misses it which would be 25%. I agree its too small of a sample size to see what Kispert is going to play like this year. But I like Kispert alot and I think Kispert like a Dranginis, David Stockton, Mike Hart, a good leader and role player. I hope he proves me wrong and is the star everyone was talking about this off season. I agree with markburn tho, if you are expecting Kispert to be more then a 10-12 point player per game, you're in for a disappointment.
    As one of the old salesmen at my college job used to sarcastically say, "If my uncle had breasts* he'd be my aunt."

*He had another choice word that I will leave to the imagination.

If we just had Brock I feel like we'd be a complete team. Please come back to us Brock!

I can't tell you how many times people called me Lucky. It was always, "Youre so Lucky, and then my name." And honestly I really was. Sometimes I'd feel so Lucky in a game because I couldn't miss, and I'd actually TRY to miss a shot, and damn, it too would bounce on the rim a few times and go in. hahahahaha crazy How that luck works. And do jyou know what my response was to most people who called me lucky. "I'd rather be lucky then as bad as YOU. HAHAHAHAH

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!