Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Impressive start in exhibition

Didn't see the game but wondering a couple of things.

Is it possible that Corey was asked to defer to the younger players to work them hard? This game was pretty predictable so why have the designated "Team Leader" per MF go out and tear it up?

Could Tillie play the 2 guard spot at times? He's a heck of a 3 point shooter is he not? Seems that would make a difficult lineup to defend.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneJag View Post
    It was an interesting game for a lot of reasons. L-C did not roll over in the first 5 minutes and they played scrappy throughout most of the game. As you would expect, the offensive sets were simple (lots of high-low) and bigs had it their way all night. Woolridge and Gilder are both very talented, experienced, strong and smooth. Watson had a big night and clearly has worked on his 3’s. Timme is going to be a beast and appears to be one of those players whose motor never stops and has only one speed. Petrusev looked really strong and showed some high and low post moves that he clearly worked on over the summer. Ayayi has improved tremendously since last year. Gone is the deer in the headlights look that he seemed to have last year and he plays with significantly more confidence. While it’s too early to make predictions, I think he could have a very big year. Overall, we are young and showed it in several spot. The press that we used in the first half was effective and it created a lot of turnovers and easy baskets for Watson and others. There were a number of defensive lapses and I would suspect there will be lots of work in the next few days. Overall, a good outing for the young Zags with lots of growing to do.
    Good synopsis of the game. Watson, Timme, and Petrusev were impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post

Is it possible that Corey was asked to defer to the younger players to work them hard? This game was pretty predictable so why have the designated "Team Leader" per MF go out and tear it up?

Could Tillie play the 2 guard spot at times? He's a heck of a 3 point shooter is he not? Seems that would make a difficult lineup to defend.
    1. I don’t think he was deferring in any way ? He just missed open shots. He will be fine. I see Timme being co-leader with him as season goes along with one of two transfer guards stepping up as well

2. Maybe. Just use pencil with Tillie. Don’t try and figure where he slots in.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianZagsFan View Post
    1. I don’t think he was deferring in any way ? He just missed open shots. He will be fine. I see Timme being co-leader with him as season goes along with one of two transfer guards stepping up as well

2. Maybe. Just use pencil with Tillie. Don’t try and figure where he slots in.
    Or, sadly, invisible ink.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Both Woolridge and Gilder are coming off nagging injuries from last year.

I think it is the injury concern that is huge when people point to the backcourt. If one of the 3 true guards has an injury or if there is foul trouble, then things get really uncomfortable.
    Yes that is a concern, but for being hobbled, Woolridge was flying out there. And if Gilder is still ailing, he sure fooled me. Maybe we get lucky this year and no more serious injuries? In a pinch, Watson or Kispert could man the two spot.

At least if anyone thinks we’re thin in guards, then we are obese in the front court. Timme came off the bench while Tillie didn’t even play. And Timme looks good. Really good. I know we’d be talking about his game more if Watson’s performance wasn’t as overshadowing.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Timme came off the bench while Tillie didn’t even play. And Timme looks good. Really good. I know we’d be talking about his game more if Watson’s performance wasn’t as overshadowing.
    Exactly. Anton Watson sure lit up the scoreboard, but Drew Timme is a shining star as well. He is a total man-child out there (with the facial hair to prove it, LOL). Every time he blocked a shot, I was hooting and hollering. I have a feeling that Drew will be my favorite Zag to watch this season.
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Timme and Watson played like upperclassmen, they were basically error free. Both play good solid fundamental defense too. Petrusev looked very skilled out there, didn't rush and made some nice offensive moves. Perhaps most impressive was Ayayi, who seems to have figured out the speed of the game and matched it to his own speed and quickness. This will be a fun group to watch this year.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

I mean positions aren't as hard and fast as they used to be but I can't see Tillie consistently running around defensively on the perimeter.

I think we'll see a little Kispert - maybe Watson - at the 2 and Gilder/Woolridge/Ayayi eating the lion's share of the 80 minutes.

We'll also probably mix in some zone defensively with this group to take advantage of the length.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    I mean positions aren't as hard and fast as they used to be but I can't see Tillie consistently running around defensively on the perimeter.

I think we'll see a little Kispert - maybe Watson - at the 2 and Gilder/Woolridge/Ayayi eating the lion's share of the 80 minutes.

We'll also probably mix in some zone defensively with this group to take advantage of the length.
    Agreed.

What we WON"T see is the only three guards in the rotation, all starting.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Random observations.
    1) Wow!
    2) Please dear God, no injuries to Ryan, Admon or Joel!
    3) Among countless things to be impressed with, I thought there were an unusual number of great finishes by players with their opposite hand. How talented and athletic is this group?!
    4) Anton is so Joe Cool — not a very emotional player but OMG so talented.
    5) We are definitely going to need Joel and if last night was an indication, it’s looking darn encouraging.
    6) That’s all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Random observations.
    1) Wow!
    2) Please dear God, no injuries to Ryan, Admon or Joel!
    3) Among countless things to be impressed with, I thought there were an unusual number of great finishes by players with their opposite hand. How talented and athletic is this group?!
    4) Anton is so Joe Cool — not a very emotional player but OMG so talented.
    5) We are definitely going to need Joel and if last night was an indication, it’s looking darn encouraging.
    6) That’s all I got.
    Add to that a motivated Killian Tillie (who is in the best shape he's ever been in) ... and I'm kinda liking this years' Zag squad.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

My impressions from last nights game are good ones for sure. Petrusev played with the confidence of a starter, finished with both hands and no silly mistakes stood out enough to remember this morning.
    Gilder and Woolridge were better than I expected (I had expected solid, but not remarkable) They're both excellent defenders. Gilder hit a deep 3, and considering the amount of time they've had in the system they played pretty error free.
    Kispert is who you know, a solid player, footspeed has not noticeably increased, you're still not going to depend on him to createa clutch open shot. He's just a catch and shoot small forward. Which isn't a bad thing.
    Ayayi has definitely stepped up his game. He took 3's with confidence and I didn't see him get rattled even when teammates made less than great passes to Joel and he had to fight the ball away from the defender.
    Timme was very very impressive to me. I've heard several comparisons of him to former Zags, and this may ruffle some feathers, but to me he's like a next level Sean Mallon. Mallon was a very skilled player who was limited by athleticism. Timme is the next level of athleticism up from Mallon (maybe two levels), but I don't think that he's hit his athletic ceiling. Very excited to see him develop.
    Watson was the most impressive of the group TONIGHT, (expect this category to have a different winner regularly). The stats are one thing, but the way he disrupted things on defense, fought for rebounds and initiated the offense (especially in the 2nd half) was impressive. I think that he'll be an integral part of making things run on offense and a mistake eraser on the defensive end.
    Pavel and Arlauskas are definitely still finding their way, but I don't think that they're too far away. Basically, you can tell that they are mostly playing defense in practice, which will hopefully get to change by mid season.

Don't kill me for saying this, I know it's just an exhibition game, but could we be losing more minutes and points off of this year's squad than last year's at the end of the season? Tillie, Ryan, and admon are for sure gone. Petrusev seems like he will want to leave too. And it looks like Anton could be our second one and done. He seems like he is a ways ahead of where Collins was in maturity and IQ, and has at least as much skill. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    Don't kill me for saying this, I know it's just an exhibition game, but could we be losing more minutes and points off of this year's squad than last year's at the end of the season? Tillie, Ryan, and admon are for sure gone. Petrusev seems like he will want to leave too. And it looks like Anton could be our second one and done. He seems like he is a ways ahead of where Collins was in maturity and IQ, and has at least as much skill. Thoughts?
    Our season starts in a few days ... and I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to the guys that will come in next year ... those that we know about, and those that we don't.

It's a fact that the Future's so Bright ... I gotta wear shades ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    I thought Ayayi played well in his role and is equipped to play at the 3, but I get your reservation about him starting there. Even in such a scenario, he would still spend more time as a 1/2. Kispert would have to spell Gilder/Woolridge as much as Ayayi and any time Kispert shares the court with Ayayi, Ayayi slides down to guard.

Watson is really the one making a case for an unusual adjustment to the starting lineup, but it was just one game against an overmatched opponent.

I expect Watson, Timme and Ayayi to be outstanding in backup roles.
    It seems workable to slide Kispert to the 2 and Watson to the 3 if there is foul trouble or rest needed at the 1-2 spots, with Ayayi or Gilder playing PG for a few minutes.

Maybe, but only if you play zone, in my opinion. It may be the ankle, but probably more likely due to being 6-10” (or whatever), but Tillie has a hard time stopping his back pedal and closing, or adjusting to change of direction against smaller players.

Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    If Watson ends up producing at an equally efficient rate as Collins, but with more minutes, he could be gone. But I don't see that happening. That's some pretty lofty goals for anyone. Looking back at the efficiency stats, Collins was the most efficient scorer on the team, the best rebounder on the team, the best shot-blocker we've had without the initials BC and was seven feet tall.

I think Watson is more likely to play that well as a sophomore. In part because we are not going to be able to limit his minutes and move him along slowly. We are going to shove him into the deep end of the pool and there will be more growing pains than Collins appeared to have because Collins had the benefit of PK, JWIII and Tillie to lighten the load.

But I'd love to be wrong. If Watson gets starter minutes and produces like Collins did, he has a shot at an All-American team and would probably be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Add to that a motivated Killian Tillie (who is in the best shape he's ever been in) ... and I'm kinda liking this years' Zag squad.
    It was good to hear recently (I think I’m recalling this properly) that he has been working more seriously on strengthening exercises.

I saw Magic in Oakland many years ago. He was so smooth I didn't realize how much he was contributing (30 pts, 15 rebounds, 10 assists, etc.). Watson's game reminded me of that game. He looks effortless but is in the right place doing the right things. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Our season starts in a few days ... and I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to the guys that will come in next year ... those that we know about, and those that we don't.

It's a fact that the Future's so Bright ... I gotta wear shades ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY
    I’m finding the criticism (couched as “thoughtful analysis”) rather humorous. As I was recently reviewing last year’s games before clearing space in my DVR, i was reminded of the great plays Corey made at both ends of the court...for example, that block against BYU that triggered the meltdown on their coach.

IMO, Corey will have a great year, taking on a leadership role as a veteran Zag.

I will always have his back, thanks to the way he treated my grandson two summers ago. He took 30 minutes out of his evening workout to give personal instruction to Big D, punctuated by putting Dillon on his shoulders for a dunk in the Kennel.

I’m of mixed emotions this morning, as we’re here in San Antonio for my son’s final band competition. Our football team was knocked out of the playoffs last night, a week after Nate got his first meaningful action of the season (he’s doing double duty in band and football).

The good news is I can turn my focus to attending the Zag game in College Station in two weeks. I look forward to making that trip.

Way O/T, but another grandchild (and future Zag) will be arriving next summer, courtesy of my oldest son and his lovely bride. Big D sadly recognizes his days at the top of the totem pole are coming to an end.... He had a good run, 9+ years as the only grandchild on both sides of the family.

I told him if it’s a girl, I’ll continue to refer to him as my “favorite grandson.” LOL

Impressive start.

Keep up the great ball movement and D. As talented as we are, our laurels still can’t be rested upon. Work hard. Get tougher. Play for each other
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Not much to be gained from watching that contest. I would rather have witnessed the scrimmage against MSU. This was barely a workout.

Nearly every bucket by the Zags was uncontested. The bigs size advantage allowed unimpeded passes from high to low and the finishes were to be expected with no hand within a foot of the release point. The physical advantages on defense were so overwhelming it made all the Zag defenders look like Kawhi Leonard. The press accentuated the disparity in skill level and it was almost embarrassing to watch Watson make steals and deflections at the point of that defense. None of the Zag guards faced any real resistance when they were handling the ball so there was really no way to guage their handle.

The value in this scrimmage was to test lineup combinations and practice both offensive and defensive sets. For the fans it was simply a preview of the potential of a talented group.

I don't think the staff will have a lot to work with here. Adversity sharpens tools and I didn't see any.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Not much to be gained from watching that contest. I would rather have witnessed the scrimmage against MSU. This was barely a workout.

Nearly every bucket by the Zags was uncontested. The bigs size advantage allowed unimpeded passes from high to low and the finishes were to be expected with no hand within a foot of the release point. The physical advantages on defense were so overwhelming it made all the Zag defenders look like Kawhi Leonard. The press accentuated the disparity in skill level and it was almost embarrassing to watch Watson make steals and deflections at the point of that defense. None of the Zag guards faced any real resistance when they were handling the ball so there was really no way to guage their handle.

The value in this scrimmage was to test lineup combinations and practice both offensive and defensive sets. For the fans it was simply a preview of the potential of a talented group.

I don't think the staff will have a lot to work with here. Adversity sharpens tools and I didn't see any.
    Excellent, Marko.

Like it or not, Kispert will start every game this year and next, as long as he is healthy. He may not log the most minutes, but he will be on the floor at tip-off.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    It seems workable to slide Kispert to the 2 and Watson to the 3 if there is foul trouble or rest needed at the 1-2 spots, with Ayayi or Gilder playing PG for a few minutes.
    Agreed.
    Agent provocateur