Thread: Bud Withers blog - the Zag All-Villain Team

Default Bud Withers blog - the Zag All-Villain Team

Bud has a new post up today:

https://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/3...ags-allvillain

Omar Samhan – What would an all-villain team be without Samhan, the former Saint Mary’s center, and his repartee with GU students, in person and on the Interweb? He said things like, at least Saint Mary’s got to leave when it was done playing Gonzaga; the students had to stay in Spokane.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    You could near post the entire Golden State Warrior roster and put them on it.

Curry, Thompson, Dramond

Can't recall if Clay beat the Zags, but he was playing us back then, when the Cougs were very good.

Not that any of them are bad guys at all. Actually all of them are pretty likeable. But they played the bad guys in games.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Nothing is better than success. Outside of the BYU football player, I don’t think of our old opponents as bad actors or villains. Even Omar is just a long distance college prankster. We’ve had such spectacular success, I’ve minimized most all of them.

Stanley Thorne of LMU is at the top of my list. His dirty play, and “wind up” elbow to Casey Calvary’s solar plexus sealed the deal for me a couple of decades ago.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

The guy that kicked Josh Perkins in the jaw makes my first team all thug

I think Sean Singletary from UVA deserves at least honorable mention. I believe he set his single game career scoring high against GU - TWICE!

PS - I have always appreciated Omar. Say what you will about the kid, but he showed up as a chubby freshman, but he had great hands and feet and worked his ass off for four years and got better every year. I think he would have been a fine Zag although Few would have lost some hair and sleep trying to corral the kid!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Nothing is better than success. Outside of the BYU football player, I don’t think of our old opponents as bad actors or villains. Even Omar is just a long distance college prankster. We’ve had such spectacular success, I’ve minimized most all of them.
    A fantastic perspective

Who was that ref that drove us crazy for like a decade? Used to love to make himself the focus of every game.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Who was that ref that drove us crazy for like a decade? Used to love to make himself the focus of every game.
    Dave Libby.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    The guy that kicked Josh Perkins in the jaw makes my first team all thug
    Or his fellow Georgia Bulldog ... the guy that clotheslined Jeremy Pargo going to the hoop. Few literally had to be restrained from going after the guy.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Dave Libbey, the Edward Teach of the WCC.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

The only true villain during Few's tenure was the BYU football player with no basketball skills. His sole purpose was to be the equivalent of a National Hockey League enforcer. He could have seriously hurt someone with his over the top hard fouls and the BYU coaching staff knew it. I never totally forgave Rose for employing such a strategy.

Perhaps the player from Georgia that tackled a Zag during a layup, causing a near bench clearing retaliation, but that is on the individual. Not a planned coaching agenda.
    I miss Mike Hart

Steph would be the PG on the first team... not sure why Bud left him off entirely.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    The only true villain during Few's tenure was the BYU football player with no basketball skills. His sole purpose was to be the equivalent of a National Hockey League enforcer. He could have seriously hurt someone with his over the top hard fouls and the BYU coaching staff knew it. I never totally forgave Rose for employing such a strategy.

Perhaps the player from Georgia that tackled a Zag during a layup, causing a near bench clearing retaliation, but that is on the individual. Not a planned coaching agenda.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Dave Libby.
    Libby is definitely worth inclusion on this list. I'm pretty sure that he has no soul

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Seems like making the All-Villain team requires a player to be somebody we had to deal with more than a single time. On that basis, I would include Daniel Kickert. Nick Emery (aka the junk puncher)

The Georgia Kung Fu champ was infuriating for sure but not All-Villain material, IMO.

Libby should make the list

ZZ