Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCAA votes to allow Athlete Compensation.

Default NCAA votes to allow Athlete Compensation.

Oh boy...Here we go Pandora's Box is officially open.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...EP5?ocid=ientp

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...rofit-likeness

“The board is emphasizing that change must be consistent with the values of college sports and higher education and not turn student-athletes into employees of institutions,” said board chair Michael V. Drake.
    Last edited by zagnut2012; 10-29-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added content

"The NCAA Board of Governors has taken the first step toward allowing athletes to cash in on their fame. The board voted unanimously on Tuesday to clear the way for the amateur athletes to "benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness."

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. They voted to allow this but they also had a caveat that it had to fit within the college model. This tells me they are trying to figure out how to allow it with limits/controls.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll finally be able to helm the Zags to the Natty in NCAA 2K 2021

Didn't take long for a member of Congress to weigh in on the NCAA's news; from Senator Richard Burr ( North Carolina ):

"If college athletes are going to make money off their likenesses while in school, their scholarships should be treated like income. I’ll be introducing legislation that subjects scholarships given to athletes who choose to “cash in” to income taxes."

https://twitter.com/SenatorBurr/stat...62863552208896

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Didn't take long for a member of Congress to weigh in on the NCAA's news; from Senator Richard Burr ( North Carolina ):

"If college athletes are going to make money off their likenesses while in school, their scholarships should be treated like income. I’ll be introducing legislation that subjects scholarships given to athletes who choose to “cash in” to income taxes."

https://twitter.com/SenatorBurr/stat...62863552208896
    agree with this position I would also like to see a cap on salary for coaching positions
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    agree with this position I would also like to see a cap on salary for coaching positions
    Such a lame position. They should be subject income taxes on whatever they make off their likeness, no one disagrees with that. But if a student athlete makes $1,000 signing autographs and memorabilia, they should pay taxes on a $60,000 scholarship? Come on, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    Such a lame position. They should be subject income taxes on whatever they make off their likeness, no one disagrees with that. But if a student athlete makes $1,000 signing autographs and memorabilia, they should pay taxes on a $60,000 scholarship? Come on, man.
    Why would a scholarship be taxable, that seems like quite a leap to me. Do they tax those on other scholarship types as income if they work outside of school?

Also, the poster above saying a "cap for coaching positions"...what does that have to do with this subject?

Agree, coaching salary is unrelated and a scholarship is not income to be taxed. What's wrong with a free market? It has been happening already under the table so let's just get it out in the open. I'd apply standard income tax to the student earnings. If only a few grand it's not much tax but large sums would be at a higher bracket. I really think this applies to a small fraction of student athletes. If Zion made 600k last year, would that have ruined the experience? Come on man!

Personally Im not for paying student athletes, taking the position of that their scholarship is a form of payment and college athletics is an avenue to a good paycheck down the road if they can play Pro (NBA or overseas). The school using their likeness, so what? They are giving you the opportunity for an education and opportunity for a future career. If student athletes watn to be paid, then they should treat it like a business. To me, as a businessman, I wouldnt want to be the number one NBA pick and go to the worst team in the league.

you can call my view lame all you want but I am comfortable with the position that if an individual is now going to a college to earn immediate income, instead of the primary reason of education that they have bypassed the intent of scholarship for education(in public setting that means tax payer dollars going to someone who is intent on getting education) and is now looking to be making a profit off the investment of a school, taxpayers etc so that scholarship should either be taxed or removed and given to someone else who is seeking the primary function of higher learning...education

i dont want my tax paying dollars to be funding a semi pro or "g league" type of entity.....

and where does this stop..do the PHD seeking researchers now get the money from their discoveries?

you can call my view lame all you want but I am comfortable with the position that if an individual is now going to a college to earn immediate income, instead of the primary reason of education that they have bypassed the intent of scholarship for education(in public setting that means tax payer dollars going to someone who is intent on getting education) and is now looking to be making a profit off the investment of a school, taxpayers etc so that scholarship should either be taxed or removed and given to someone else who is seeking the primary function of higher learning...education

i dont want my tax paying dollars to be funding a semi pro or "g league" type of entity.....

and where does this stop..do the PHD seeking researchers now get the money from their discoveries?
    Academic scholarships aren't taxed. Regular students can profit from their NIL without losing their scholarship or without tax consequences (on the scholarship). But you want to tax athlete scholarships? Ok. For tennis? Soccer? Rowing, too?

Regardless of your idea it's never going to happen.

You're not upset about your money, you're upset that these kids are making money while in college. If you were truly upset about the money, you would be much more concerned with the $50 million dollar basketball facilities and football ops buildings going in than the kids paying income tax on a $50,000 scholarship.

You're not upset about your money, you're upset that these kids are making money while in college. If you were truly upset about the money, you would be much more concerned with the $50 million dollar basketball facilities and football ops buildings going in than the kids paying income tax on a $50,000 scholarship.
    gee thanks for letting me know what I am upset about or where my values lie...glad I got that straightened out

yes dont like the public entities spending those kind of money on infrastructure leveraging tax dollars to do it and going into debt for it........but I am sure you will correct me and let me know what my "real" position is

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Academic scholarships aren't taxed. Regular students can profit from their NIL without losing their scholarship or without tax consequences (on the scholarship). But you want to tax athlete scholarships? Ok. For tennis? Soccer? Rowing, too?

correct as we stand today they are not taxed, because they are provided for one to engage in the educational opportunities of higher learning......opening up the opportunity to make profit while leveraging societies tax money for you to attend to make money is flat out wrong and once that door is open and you elect to go that route I think you should be taxed on the benefits provided that allowed you the opportunity to make a profit...take you r choice but cant have it both ways on tax payer dollars simply wrong in my book

So...how long until bad actors (cough*Louisville*cough) supply recruits with scholarship offers and guaranteed endorsement deals with local businesses, brands, etc. This is going to be a nightmare to try and control and opportunities for abuse are myriad here. I'm not saying that this shouldn't be the direction in which we move, but I'm also curious how the NCAA is going to oversee recruiting and prevent clear pay-for-play situations like the one hypothesized above.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

My assumption with the proposed legislation is that those who choose to monetize their image/name would be taxed. I don’t think anyone would justify taxing a traditional student athlete who is on scholarship and not cashing in.

gee thanks for letting me know what I am upset about or where my values lie...glad I got that straightened out

yes dont like the public entities spending those kind of money on infrastructure leveraging tax dollars to do it and going into debt for it........but I am sure you will correct me and let me know what my "real" position is
    I apologize for the way I phrased that, that was out of line.

I just think there's much more of a systemic issue in college sports and the spending going on. Putting our efforts towards taxing kids who want to make some money off their likeness isn't solving the bigger issue.

The college basketball pie is large. Coaches get a healthy portion of the pie. Schools do too. Networks do. And the fans are, for the most part, better off because the pie is so big and everyone enjoys it.
    But when we start to it talk about players building their own separate pies in their home ovens, we start to hear all kinds of ideas that deny pie to players. For a message board that loves college basketball and college athletics this notion is really hard for me to comprehend. Maybe it just boils down to a discomfort with the fact that some of these 18 year old ballers will make more money in one year of college than the average person will make in their entire life.

The college basketball pie is large. Coaches get a healthy portion of the pie. Schools do too. Networks do. And the fans are, for the most part, better off because the pie is so big and everyone enjoys it.
    And the NLI, as currently proposed, does not address any of the above. The NLI is about opening "new" streams of money that would be available to students.

OTL on ESPN interviewed Mitt Romney this morning and he addressed the many of the same issues that we on this board have asked. The vast majority of people agree that student athletes should own their own image/likeness/name. The devil is in the details and how that is applied that does not seriously impact the "product" that is put on the court/field/pitch, etc.

Despite all the complaints about the NCAA (many are very well justified), for the vast, vast majority of the 450,000 current student athletes, the current "amateur" system works very well and they are very grateful for the opportunity awarded to them. It is only the elite of the elite who will significantly benefit from the NLI and once the NBA does away with the 1 and done, it will be even fewer student athletes that will significantly benefit.

March madness is and has been a great product for everybody. No matter that the "Blue Bloods" consistently have the highest rated recruiting classes (perhaps not entirely legally obtained), that does not always result in tangible results. In the last 20 years: UNC, Duke and Connecticut all have won 3 championships, Villanova and Florida have 2 championships, and despite all their heritage and bluster, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, Virginia, Syracuse and Maryland have only won only a single championship and Arizona has the same number of championships in the last 20 years as Gonzaga.

Football is its own problems and the championships are just as likely determined by the small number of teams in the championship series as totally dominate SEC. If the FBS teams played a FCS type championship, I think you would see a lot more variety in champions, but that discussion belongs on the football board.

Frankly, I am for any opportunity that affords the student athletes a chance to make money of their image/likeness/name while they are in school as long as those opportunities do not come at the expense of the other 95% of student athletes and at the expense of the current system, warts and all.

ZagDad

.... or removed and given to someone else who is seeking the primary function of higher learning...education
    Absolutely agree with this.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

.do the PHD seeking researchers now get the money from their discoveries?
    Just to answer this question, yes, as far as I know they do and always have.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Just to answer this question, yes, as far as I know they do and always have.
    Hmmm my two family members engaged in dna research discovery belonged to the university and the corporate sponsor so not so certain this is a straight forward as you feel it is

https://www.research.psu.edu/otm/student_IP_guidance

Example of Penn state and intellectual property rights and as you can see grad student findings belong to the university and or sponsor

Item 2 deals with my grad research example. So with this I would guess this will be the next step of for profit engagement

its not about them earning money...although if they have some kind of fame its because of the stage set by the university.....so maybe the university should get a finders fee or something?

but the point is, its going to be a BUYERS MARKET....both on recruits and on transfers....and I can envision a good/great player deciding to leave after a year of training/experience for Oregon with a promise of a big payoff from Uncle Phil....

this is not going to turn out well...