Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballo Declared Academic Redshirt

Default Ballo Declared Academic Redshirt

From Meehan on twitter:

“ Gonzaga freshman center Oumar Ballo has been declared an academic redshirt by the NCAA. Will not play in games this season, but remains on scholarship and can practice with team.”

My first reaction is "many bad words". But, hey, it's probably for the best so he can grow and develop in the system. ......right?

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    My first reaction is "many bad words". But, hey, it's probably for the best so he can grow and develop in the system. ......right?
    He's probably only at Gonzaga for 2 years...and this is one of them, or so I have been led to believe.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Better than being declared ineligible. It'll be great to have him banging against Petrusev, Timme, et al in practice. Plus he'll (like Hachimura) have a chance to mature educationally, intellectually, emotionally, and yes, even physically, while easing into the rigors of academia.

Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    32m
    Mark Few: "Oumar is a tremendous young man and an intelligent student. “International academic eligibility can be complicated. He will be a significant asset to our program. This is an opportunity for him to become a highly successful student-athlete.”

Aw shucks. At least he can practice with the team this year.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Well he should not be "Raw" if he works out against this team by next year. He will be an amazing rookie when he hits the floor I would think.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Well he should not be "Raw" if he works out against this team by next year. He will be an amazing rookie when he hits the floor I would think.
    I've been sorta expecting this to happen and with the depth of our frontcourt, although young with the exception of oft injured Tillie, I'm fairly certain that his absence will not diminish the potential of this year's team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Just glad this is resolved in such a way that he is able to be part of the team instead of in a weird limbo situation. I’m sure we’ll hear whether he should have been playing or not at some point, but there is significant talent available up front. Maybe this team will be final four good without him, but next year could end up being very special with him and all of the talent coming in! Can’t wait to hear Suggs has officially announce!

I hope more information comes out to explain why because right now I'm thoroughly annoyed by this situation.

I have to view this as a good thing, as it will give more playing time to Corey, Tils, and newcomer Drew Timme. There are only so many minutes to go around.

Honestly he was probably going to be the 5th or 6th big this year so he wasnt going to play a whole lot anyway. He still gets to practice and spend a year acclimating to college in the US. It's hard for me to get too upset about this when neither Few or Roth were mad and both sounded like they kind of expected this.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I have to view this as a good thing, as it will give more playing time to Corey, Tils, and newcomer Drew Timme. There are only so many minutes to go around.
    AND Zacharov.

Corey is a wing. The 4 bigs will be Petrusev, Tillie, Timmie and Zacharov with Watson sliding into the 4 for smaller line-up nightmares (for the other teams).
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I'm unfamiliar with the rules governing academic redshirts. Can't recall it coming up at GU before. Hypothetically, if he goes to another school (who could get him qualified academically) would that be a "transfer" requiring him to sit out a year?

I'm getting a kind of Bol Kong vibe off of this situation.

ZZ

This is what "academic redshirt" seems to mean, unless there are multiple definitions...

"NCAA Will Force Incoming Freshmen to Redshirt If They Have a 2.3 or Lower GPA"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...r-gpa.amp.html

I don't think he can transfer to a new school (and play immediately). His best bet is to stay at Gonzaga and play next year.

Please don't compare this guy to Bol Kong, UNFAIR, and so different. Bol Kong was on zero recruiting charts and wasn't part of an NBA Development program. Vastly different circumstances.

Smile This's gonna work!

Add Ballo, in effect, to the 2020 class. Ballo will then be their same age, yet already here. Me like.

[Suggs] 5-Star Point Guard
    Harris 4-Star Combo Guard
    Strawther 4-Star Small Forward
    Ballo 4/5-Star Center

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Add Ballo, in effect, to the 2020 class. Ballo will then be their same age, yet already here. Me like.

Ballo 4/5-Star Center

Plus he’ll have a year working within the system getting the Olynyk Clinic as we used to call it. Look forward to him seeing the same refinement that Brandon Clarke got!

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with the rules governing academic redshirts. Can't recall it coming up at GU before. Hypothetically, if he goes to another school (who could get him qualified academically) would that be a "transfer" requiring him to sit out a year?

I'm getting a kind of Bol Kong vibe off of this situation.

ZZ
    He didn't meet the ncaa requirements, not GUs. He wouldnt be eligible anywhere this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    He didn't meet the ncaa requirements, not GUs. He wouldnt be eligible anywhere this year.
    Silver lining is this takes choice out of the equation; hopefully Ballo was aware of this possible ruling long before it happened. Focus on getting better every day Monsieur Ballo. We are all witnesses and can’t wait to see you burst onto NCAA stage in 2020-21...at the ripe old age of 18.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Ballo 4/5-Star Center

I hate to say this but next year may well be GU's BEST year ever...we will have four experienced front court players and with that class of freshman back court players we should be awesome...With one year in the system, Mr. Ballo will be a BEAST a Zion type player. Joel and Brock will be our back court experience, so this year will be our "getting ready" year for next year...that's how I deal with Mr. Ballo's academic RS...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I hate to say this but next year may well be GU's BEST year ever...we will have four experienced front court players and with that class of freshman back court players we should be awesome...With one year in the system, Mr. Ballo will be a BEAST a Zion type player. Joel and Brock will be our back court experience, so this year will be our "getting ready" year for next year...that's how I deal with Mr. Ballo's academic RS...
    Petrusev and obviously Tillie will be gone next year.

Also, Watson may spark enough interest/intrigue next year to declare. He's going go get immediate playing time, and GU bigs are under an NBA microscope these days; respect and attention is through the roof. GU post players/prospects, so hot right now.

There is a decent, if not solid chance Timme & Pavel could be our only returning bigs next season.

What does this mean about Omar traveling with the team (but obviously not suiting up)? I’ve always thought one of the big adjustments to D1 play was all the travel while maintaining some academic work. Anybody know?

I’m sure he is disappointed but all I see are upsides I this scenario. He was barely going to get spot minutes this year and will be a FORCE with a year of D1 training and adjustments under him next year. Doubt we’ll see him on the court for a second season after he tears through the country with the returning players and recruiting class we should have coming in

For me it puts a sour taste in my mouth and more so if Quade Green from UW can get a waiver to play right Away after transferring from Kentucky. At least he is not ineligible and can play next year like others who have already commented on this.

Ballo 4/5-Star Center

The staff was aware of this possibility when they recruited Ballo and actually they were pretty sure he would end up in the class of 2020 originally. This is not a bad thing for the Zags, it puts a 2020 and 2021 run at a National Title in full swing.