Thread: What If It All Goes Right

Default What If It All Goes Right

A pretty optimistic view of this year's season from the slipper still fits:

What If It All Goes Right - Women’s Edition
    Best case scenario for the Zag Women
    By Megan Stoudt Oct 25, 2019, 2:00pm EDT

The Zags have much to be proud of coming off of last season’s successes. They had a 29-5 record and a program-best No. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament. In addition, they were able to maintain their competitiveness after losing two of their star players within 48 hours.

The team’s winning reputation is not lost on others - Gonzaga was picked to win a fourth straight West Coast Conference basketball championship this season. The team received seven out of 10 votes - the other three went to BYU. Even though the squad lost three starters from last season (Zykera Rice, Laura Stockton and Chandler Smith), they still have a lot of momentum and experience going for them.

“Coaches know that we graduate good players every year, but that we do a good job of coaching players to step up and fill those roles,” said head coach Lisa Fortier.

Along with substantial experience, there are some new faces that will hopefully add to the Zags’ ambitions this year. There are two players who redshirted last year (Kylee Griffen and Anamaria Virjoghe) and three true freshmen (Eliza Hollingsworth and twin guards Kayleigh and Kaylynne Truong) who should all have some good looks this coming season.

So what does this all mean? Where will we see the Zags go if everything goes according to plan? How far will they go? While they undoubtedly have superior talent, they are not a team that is going to go deep into the NCAA Tournament. That’s just the way that it is. In order for that to actually happen, you would need to count on other teams to come out and completely choke. That’s fairly unlikely.

To be completely honest, the best case scenario for the women’s team is to make it past the second round of the tournament. In the past three years, the women have not made it through the second round. A realistic “best case scenario” for this team is to see them get to the Sweet Sixteen - maybe the Elite Eight. I wouldn’t hope for much more than that. Yes, the skill is there but there are too many other variables namely, this being the first time since the 2015-16 season without leaders such as Stockton and Rice. Of course players always rise up and fill vacant positions, but adjusting to new roles along with trying to battle their way through the tournament is a tall order. For now, lets just hope that we see the women competing during the second weekend.
    Article Link: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...womens-edition

So what do you think, does "The Slipper Still Fits" have it right?

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 10-26-2019 at 10:22 PM. Reason: To add article link

I have read far too many debbie downers about this Lady Zag program.......we are a very very good PROGRAM....the teams change each year but the PROGRAM remains strong ......

the Lady Zag program is certainly CAPABLE to win deep into the tournament and once you're in the final four anything can happen...(yrs ago,. Missouri state reached the final four on the backs of one prolific scorer with ordinary teammates that KNEW what to do).

I watch other womens teams that are supposed to be great and frankly our team stacks up.....other bigger programs usually have better posts which is one area we need to work on.....thank God for Anna, but we need to have 2-3 tall ( 6'4 or taller) strong posts on the team very year....jen and lee I consider more of power forward type players, similar to Jill B.....

but we went pretty fair with Kayla at 6'2...

we've got most of the tools and now its down to execution and proper coaching.....those are the two variables that will prevent our success....

forever a believer.......

I think the Lady Zags will have the best and deepest frontcourt in the WCC. I have very little concern that the vast majority of teams in the NCAA will beat us significantly on the inside.

I do have two (2) major concerns with this years team; lack of experienced depth at the guard position and the refusal/lack of ability to shoot the 3-ball.

The lady zags lost a total of 5 games last year; 3 to BYU, 1 to ND and 1 to Oregon State. Four of those losses (to BYU and Oregon State) were due almost exclusively due to guard play and 3-point shooting. All of the BYU games were close, but GU could not close them out. In the first two games, a made 3 at the end of either game results in a win, the ladies could not put it down. In the Oregon State game, the lady zags played a great game, but down 2 guards, they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter. But here is the interesting stat, They were 0-for-9 from deep until the final minute against the Beavers until "Z" (who had not made a 3 all year) made 2 threes at the end of the game. None of our guards or wings made a single 3 in the game.

Gonzaga hit 154 threes in 34 games, which is under five made triples a game. Katie Campbell had 63 of those. Nobody else had more than 27. Only one WCC team attempted fewer threes than the Zags. Once the opposition figured out that Katie was are only sharpshooter, she was rarely left open and her shooting percentage from 3 dropped significantly. If Katie does not get any help from her teammates from 3 this year, teams will simply make sure she is not left open.

We all know that CLF wants to play inside-out. Make the extra pass. However, we cannot trade 2's for 3's. We need to have a presence or at least a threat from 3. We need the ability to hit a three if we want to be competitive against better teams, otherwise they simply run a zone and pack in the key.

This team will go as far as the freshman guards progress and if we can get the opposition to at least respect the lady zags from the 3-point line.

For this lady zag team, IF everything goes right, realistically I would say they lose one game in OOC schedule (Stanford), winning the Gulf Coast Showcase beating Auburn and Arizona State along the way ending up with a 3-1 record against P5 teams just like last year.. In addition, they beat Montana State (who wins the Big Sky), Wyoming (who wins the Mountain West) and Missouri State (who wins the Missouri Valley Conference) in the OOC. They lady zags only lose once in the WCC and win the WCC championship and carry that momentum to the WCC tournament and win the WCC championship. Lady Zags end up ranked in the Top 20, and get a 5/6 seed in the NCAA tournament and win both games the first weekend and making to the sweet 16. IF everything went right.

I think a successful season is appropriately described by Mark Few's typical response when asked this question:

"I was hired to win the WCC conference and the WCC tournament, everything else is gravy."

Realistically, I think the Lady Zags will lose 2-3 games in the OOC schedule (Stanford, maybe ASU and maybe Wyoming) and lose 2 games in the WCC regular season (split with BYU + somebody else), but I think the lady zags will win the WCC conference, the WCC tournament and the first game in the NCAA tournament, resulting in a very successful year, IMO.

ZagDad

The thing about optimism? it's FREE -- doesn't cost a dime. So go ahead and grab yourself a big bucketful & ENJOY!

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    The thing about optimism? it's FREE -- doesn't cost a dime. So go ahead and grab yourself a big bucketful & ENJOY!
    Want to share your level of Optimism for this year's team?

ZagDad

Always optimistic before the first game...

Two things that concern me this year... first is the Thanksgiving weekend get-a-way... because we have not done well in games in the Deep South. Time zones, the weather and distractions have been to our demise. Hopefully the trip to Europe will have taken some of the awe out of the holiday trip. The second is the youth... and how long will it take to get to D-1 play.

That being said... I’m optimistic

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Want to share your level of Optimism for this year's team?

ZagDad
    Slipper Still Fits generally nails it. But the gals are gonna need better luck with injuries than they had last season to do as well. Believe GU would finish in the middle of the PAC 12 (5th or 6th), in the top two of the WCC, and top five of mid-majors & yes, on the women's side, Lady Zagsters are still a mid-major. So much depends on Jesse L and Jill T staying healthy & leading the team, both vocally and in performance. Not expecting much of the Frosh twins, our new Aussie, or Kylee coming back from injury. Looking forward, though, to an entertaining, up and down the court, high-scoring brand of basketball. Be disappointed if we don't win the WCC, either reg season or tournament, but pleased with anything under a 10 seed & one win in the tourney. Kool aid glass about half full since I'm such an optimistic kind of guy.

Thank You Upan8th.

Skip, glad your optimistic. What to play prognosticator?

ZagDad