Thread: USA Today Final Preseason Poll.

CBS Sports listing of the AP Poll, Coaches Poll, and CBS Top 25 + 1: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/

Zags at #8 in the AP Poll and #7 in the Coaches Poll, with The CBS 25+1 ranking at #11.

St. Mary's at 20, gee they do a good job with what they have ...
    relative to 4 and 5 star recruits, and rankings they do awfully well at producing rankings ...
    like we used to do in the 2000's

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    St. Mary's at 20, gee they do a good job with what they have ...
    relative to 4 and 5 star recruits, and rankings they do awfully well at producing rankings ...
    like we used to do in the 2000's
    No question St. Mary's does a great job with less! However the 'STAR' rankings can be a poor representation of playes recruted outside the US.
    Players who could easily be a 3 or 4 'STAR' player if they had played high school ball in the US rather than overseas are simply overlooked and given a 2 'STAR' ranking. As you mentioned both Gonzaga & St Mary's have done a great job finding those players. Not an easy task!

Mark Few is getting much respect here.

The squad is not devoid of talent by any measure, but the simple fact remains that they have not played together as a unit, under Few's system, for a significant amount of time. Fortunately, in this age of the transfer portal and other early departures, most of the top programs in the nation are undergoing a similar situation. Evaluating the national pecking order is more difficult than ever and allows teams like last year's Texas Tech to emerge from nowhere.

I'm such a believer in Mark Few that I think he will get this squad rolling after some initial growing pains, but unlike most here, I'm not seeing anything from this squad approaching the near transcendental talent of Brandon Clarke. I don't trust that the one player most like that can dependably last an entire season. This team will need to play together as a unit, with court intelligence, and with toughness on defense, to meet this preseason expectation. I think they are capable of that, but it isn't a sure thing. Especially early on when they are still melding as a team.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    No question St. Mary's does a great job with less! However the 'STAR' rankings can be a poor representation of playes recruted outside the US.
    Players who could easily be a 3 or 4 'STAR' player if they had played high school ball in the US rather than overseas are simply overlooked and given a 2 'STAR' ranking. As you mentioned both Gonzaga & St Mary's have done a great job finding those players. Not an easy task!
    I see SMC has moved their recruiting North for 2020. They have commitments from 4star Jabe Mullins of Snoqualmie and 3star Mitchell Saxen of Seattle. They also have a 3star from Newport Beach Judah Brown. That's a lot of US players for SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I see SMC has moved their recruiting North for 2020. They have commitments from 4star Jabe Mullins of Snoqualmie and 3star Mitchell Saxen of Seattle. They also have a 3star from Newport Beach Judah Brown. That's a lot of US players for SMC.
    First year in (I think) over a decade with no Aussie recruit. The Gaels 2020 recruiting class is currently ranked in the top 20.

Smile Guessing...

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post
    First year in (I think) over a decade with no Aussie recruit. The Gaels 2020 recruiting class is currently ranked in the top 20.
    Just a guess that Saint Mary's recruiting for 2020 isn't over. Wouldn't be surprised a bit if an Aussie or two shows up before next year's season opener. ESPN, for example, usually doesn't list anything on SMC's recruits prior to a given season's start, then suddenly there's a bunch of new guys on their SMC page.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!