Thread: Most misguided relocation of a football team

Default Most misguided relocation of a football team

Is it me or is the move from San Diego to LA by the Chargers the single dumbest and misguided relocation of a team ever? I mean, they are playing in a soccer stadium that holds about 23K. Meanwhile... EVERY... SINGLE... home game becomes an away game as EVERY team that comes in to play has more fans in the stands that the Chargers. Imagine what it will be like in a 70,000+ seat stadium. SMDH.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Is it me or is the move from San Diego to LA by the Chargers the single dumbest and misguided relocation of a team ever? I mean, they are playing in a soccer stadium that holds about 23K. Meanwhile... EVERY... SINGLE... home game becomes an away game as EVERY team that comes in to play has more fans in the stands that the Chargers. Imagine what it will be like in a 70,000+ seat stadium. SMDH.
    no, the absolute dumbest is moving the Sonics from one of the best cities in the world, a city that is growing and wealthy to a small cow town in the middle of nowhere that depends on dying fossil fuel industry
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    no, the absolute dumbest is moving the Sonics from one of the best cities in the world, a city that is growing and wealthy to a small cow town in the middle of nowhere that depends on dying fossil fuel industry
    Whilst I don't disagree with your sentiment... I will note 2 things. We are talking about football here (note the title of the thread). Second, regardless of my anger that the Sonics were stolen... and they WERE stolen.. the Thunder actually have fan support in their barren wasteland.

Also, JFTR, I am not, nor ever was, a Sonics fan. Grew up Pistons and switched to the Knicks in the early 90s.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

How 'bout the Raiders. They have been ( & will continue to be) a ping pong ball.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

What is it about LA? Rams left, came back eventually. Raiders moved there, then left again. Chargers there currently. LA seems barely capable of supporting 1 team, not sure why there have been 2 NFL franchises calling it home off and on. Will Chargers move back to San Diego eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    How 'bout the Raiders. They have been ( & will continue to be) a ping pong ball.
    Difference with the Raiders is that they have fans literally everywhere. Even though LA didn't fully support them... their fans were not usually outnumbered by the opposing team's fans.

Difference with the Raiders is that they have fans literally everywhere. Even though LA didn't fully support them... their fans were not usually outnumbered by the opposing team's fans.
    Fair point (though the opposing fans probably feared for their lives & stayed home).
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Fair point (though the opposing fans probably feared for their lives & stayed home).

I always thought the most misguided move was taking the Rams from the second largest media market and moving them to a town whose entire population works at that one Anheiser-Busch factory.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

I went to the Packers vs Chargers game last Sunday, and it was about 50% Cheeseheads there. My friend works for the Chargers franchise, so the tickets were free. We were partying with the Cheeseheads; by halftime we were both toasted (we used public transportation, as I do NOT drink and drive, ever).

Dignity Park is a very nice stadium, but yeah, it's a soccer stadium. However, it has very easy access, both by car and by bus.

When SoFi Stadium opens next year, it will probably be the same scenario, 50% Chargers fans and 50% road team fans. The Rams are the top dog here and the Chargers are the red-headed stepchild.
    UNITED WE ZAG !!

Full Disclosure up front: I would probably be happy (for a variety of reasons) if the team failed and had to move or just ceased to exist.

I lived in San Diego while the Chargers were still there. I now live in the LA/OC area and I have to agree this is the worst move all away around. First, I have no sympathy for billionaires who feel like the city taxpayers owe them a new stadium. Qualcomm stadium was dated but teams are in not entitled to free or significantly subsidized facilities. Second, thinking the LA market is a good NFL market, especially for the 2nd/Jr team in the city is a miscalculation. LA was fine without an NFL team, and i never got the impression that there was a huge hunger for one. The people of SD actually liked the Chargers and most of those fans abandoned the team when they left for (without traffic) a city 1.5 hours away. Based on local radio, people i know who grew up in LA/OC, etc. that the vast majority of LA doesn't want or care about the Chargers at all. A fair number would prefer they left. I don't know of anyone who has PAID to go to a Chargers game in LA (only when they received free tickets). They can probably pick up some bandwagon fans if they win a superbowl or two, but the team is historically inept and snakebitten. Making this worse is that the Rams (already in a better position to get the attend of LA locals) immediately made a superbowl. If are and will always be a smaller second fiddle than the Clippers are to the Lakers - although the Clippers have an owner willing to pay a the GDP of a small country to improve it.

Sadly, NFL $$$ in general is probably too good and they will probably have good ticket sales buttressed by opposing team fans who want to visit LA during the fall/winter.