Thread: Lady Zags Scrimmage with UCLA

Default Lady Zags Scrimmage with UCLA

According to CLF's twitter page, the Lady Zags scrimmaged with UCLA yesterday.

Scuttlebutt is that UCLA won, Wirths looked great, and the Lady Zag guards were overmatched.

Anybody have any further information on yesterday's super secret scrimmage?

ZagDad

The Lady Zag and UCLA Wbb scrimmage was played in Spokane.

Coach Cori Close of UCLA has some pictures of Spokane posted on her twitter page: https://twitter.com/CoachCloseUCLA

A couple of quotes from Coach Close:

Great time with amazing people and great learning opportunities for us as a team. Beautiful time of year in Spokane.
    I’m spoiled. @uclapam gets me these incredible rooms & views on the road. It is 80 degrees in LA this weekend but this is a different kind of beauty. Excited to build with our team this weekend.
    ZagDad

That's cool to see how complimentary Coach Close was of Gonzaga and Spokane.

UCLA started slow last season but was a really solid team by the end of they year. They gave UConn all they could handle in the Sweet 16 game. They should be good again this year. Onyenwere is a bit undersized for a 4 but she is a beast, I'm not sure the Zags will see anyone like her in the WCC.

a little discouraging....

I watched a bit form the UCLA players on the Zag court hamming it up.....why is our program so secret we can't get any pics...infact we don't even know how they did except UCLA leaked that they won.....why is the program so selective on who is allowed to know what's going on with the program.....you would think our large STHers would deserve a little more than that....if UCLA can post video I don't see why our program can't do that as well....

Go over to the MBB side and listen to the complaints about lack of info on their scrimmage with Michigan State. Few and CLF and to some extent Izzo and Coach Close want to limit the information made available to the public.

Posting some video of their warm-up and maybe 15 secs (about 3 plays) of the scrimmage and some combined team pictures after the scrimmage has occurred is hardly satisfying the UCLA fans.

I consider the fact that UCLA was willing to travel to Spokane (like California did last year) to scrimmage with the Lady Zags a major success. The GU Mbb have had to travel to Minneapolis last year and Denver this year to scrimmage with Michigan State.

We have a poster on this board who either attended the scrimmage or knows someone who did attend and he provided me some information in confidence on the scrimmage. I shared some of the info in general form above. I will not share any specific information that he does not approve of before hand.

Be glad we get some inside information ever so often.

If you want to see the pictures and video UCLA posted scroll down the page at their twitter site located here: https://twitter.com/UCLAWBB

Thanks Coach Close for bringing your Top-15 team to the Kennel. We appreciate the opportunity to host your team. Maybe next year we can play a game for real.

ZagDad

Thanks for the info ZagDad, can’t wait for the season to start.

Comment on the UCLA - Lady Zag scrimmage from CLF:

Watching film. Thankful for a great scrimmage with @UCLAWBB yesterday. Liked some things we did & we were also shown some areas we still need to work on. Best of luck on the season @CoachCloseUCLA ! You guys are gonna be fun to watch.
    ZagDad

This is great that the Lady Zags were able to play UCLA...

Now the question... if UCLA like Cal is willing to play GU in a scrimmage, do they feel the Lady Zags are a worthy opponent?

To me, we need to have this level of worthy opponents on the schedule and playing in front of a full house in the Kennel.

I have said before that if you feel you are at a level of the top 25... you need to play them in front of the faithful...

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I watched a bit form the UCLA players on the Zag court hamming it up.....why is our program so secret we can't get any pics...infact we don't even know how they did except UCLA leaked that they won.....why is the program so selective on who is allowed to know what's going on with the program.....you would think our large STHers would deserve a little more than that....if UCLA can post video I don't see why our program can't do that as well....
    @Sylean,

Over on the UCLA board fans are wondering the same thing.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/b...ews-136670824/

I have actually spoken to several college basketball coaches about this "veil of secrecy" and the consistent answer I get from them is:

"When in doubt, say nothing".

Saying nothing in their minds is the absolutely safest thing to do in most situations.

With all of the accountability from HIPPA, NCAA compliance and perhaps just sheer "it couldn't possibly help my program to talk" mentality, that's what they seem to choose to do.

Personally I think it's silly.

Most people to me just seem to over think stuff. Surely you can figure out a way to give at least a vague statement at least telling WHAT school you scrimmaged against? Without getting into trouble.

SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be truthful, I am more upset that we LOST this secret scrimmage.....I believe that we have beat Cal in the secret scrimmage in the past years.....

sylean, secret scrimmages don't count, don't worry about the result. Anyway UCLA has been better than Cal for the past quite a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    to be truthful, I am more upset that we LOST this secret scrimmage.....I believe that we have beat Cal in the secret scrimmage in the past years.....
    UCLA is ranked #12 in the pre-season poll and is given a #3 seed in the pre-season bracketology.

It is only a scrimmage, so it means nothing. Losing by 6 to this very good UCLA team in an empty arena is nothing to be worried about.

ZagDad

I wonder if the UCLA coach and team stayed in Cashmere Washington? Coach Close has visited Cashmere before.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post
    I wonder if the UCLA coach and team stayed in Cashmere Washington? Coach Close has visited Cashmere before.
    According to the pictures posted on her twitter page, Coach Close stayed in downtown Spokane.

Does not mean she did not make a side trip to Cashmere after they got to Spokane or after the Scrimmage.

ZagDad

A little more info on the scrimmage with UCLA from Jim Allen at the Spokesman-Review:

Then again, the Zags already have a good measuring stick from last week’s closed-door scrimmage against UCLA.

According to coach Lisa Fortier, the Zags were “a little bit less athletic than UCLA, but skill-wise I think we were a little bit ahead of them.”

“We definitely have some things to work on,” Fortier said. “We’ve got to move our feet and we’ve got to work together a little bit … and not commit silly fouls.”
    Starters for the scrimmage were as most figured; JL KC, JT, LW and JW.

ZagDad