Thread: Kenpom 2020 Ratings Are Out - Zags at #9!

Default Kenpom 2020 Ratings Are Out - Zags at #9!

That's incredible for a rebuilding year!

https://kenpom.com/

Arizona? Really?

Not included in the KenPom listing:

Nov. 28: vs. Oregon/Seton Hall, TBA, ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU

Nov. 29: vs. TBA, TBA, ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU

Peter Woodburn, at Slipper Still Fits, has some insightful commentary. https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...Ai9635d3lqjn9E

The Zags are landing this high in the rankings thanks to the No. 5 offense and the No. 19 defense. That is a decline in both marks for the Zags from last season, who finished out the year with the top-rated offense and the No. 12 defense.

Realistically, it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that the offense declined a little—and it says something to what Ken Pomeroy thinks of the Zags and their coaching staff to only have the rank slide four spots. Gonzaga lost approximately 80 percent of its scorers from last season, only retaining Corey Kispert, Filip Petrusev, and Killian Tillie as major contributors.

It is comforting to see the defense retain a high ranking, perhaps buoyed by the additions of Admon Gilder and Ryan Woolridge. Just losing Brandon Clarke itself probably accounts for at least a five point slide in the rankings, after all.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 10-20-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Ten 200 plus RPI opponents. Kinda like the AFC East for the Pats.

Here's the rest of the WCC. KenPom Ratings for each are in the AdjEM column:

If the guards are as defensive minded as advertised and the BIGS are as great on the boards as we hear from yesterday ( I believe it btw), half the battle is won. Still though it'll be a coaching gem to pull these diverse talents together. I we get past the Bahama tournament in good stead, it'll indicate were at least ready for a strong run provided no injuries. Ballo is still not full speed but he'll help a lot.

Mountain West ranked 10th, WCC 8th.

Lesson in there somewhere.

No one would be shocked if we climbed to 7, breaking into the top 6 would be extremely difficult. Seven would be good, and possible if SMC and BYU break out fast.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Mountain West ranked 10th, WCC 8th.

Lesson in there somewhere.

No one would be shocked if we climbed to 7, breaking into the top 6 would be extremely difficult. Seven would be good, and possible if SMC and BYU break out fast.
    I hope you're tight, but BYU is going to have tough time doing much of anything with all their injury's and suspensions.

I like kenpom, but a preseason ranking from a statistician without any stats to go on? I'm not saying that it's any more or less accurate than any other preseason ranking, but it gets people to click I guess and that means $
    I'm among those who believe that rankings shouldn't even be a thing until at least 1/3 of the way through the season

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    I like kenpom, but a preseason ranking from a statistician without any stats to go on? I'm not saying that it's any more or less accurate than any other preseason ranking, but it gets people to click I guess and that means $
    I'm among those who believe that rankings shouldn't even be a thing until at least 1/3 of the way through the season
    Pomeroy is pretty good about figuring out how to factor in a lot of those confounding factors - new players, coaches, etc. His pre-season rankings are about as solid and data-driven as pre-season rankings can be.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    Pomeroy is pretty good about figuring out how to factor in a lot of those confounding factors - new players, coaches, etc. His pre-season rankings are about as solid and data-driven as pre-season rankings can be.
    I realize that kenpom actually takes emotions out of it as much as you can, but year after year highly thought of teams in the preseason disappoint and other teams are a complete (almost) surprise. The reality is that rankings prior to 1/3 of the season being completed are mainly for hype purposes specifically designed to increase television ratings.

works for me. Since there is no perfection I accept their attempt to guess. I enjoy the mental gymnastics to add my own thoughts to their's and see how my expectations work out.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

The purpose of the KenPom preseason rank is to establish a "educated" but diminishing statistical factor which stays in the averages well into January. Without doing that, if the #254 team crushed the 354 team they would jump to the top and there could be no adjusted off or def. IMHO his "educated" numbers seem incredibly well considered. That said I don't think we lose to SMC on 2-8-20.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I hope you're tight, but BYU is going to have tough time doing much of anything with all their injury's and suspensions.
    Exactly why I think BYU is ranked about 30 to 50 spots too low.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Exactly why I think BYU is ranked about 30 to 50 spots too low.
    Not following your logic. Pretty sure the reason they are ranked where they are is in direct correlation to the injury's and suspensions that will result in a talent deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Not following your logic. Pretty sure the reason they are ranked where they are is in direct correlation to the injury's and suspensions that will result in a talent deficiency.
    I guess my thought is that they are ranked at 72, but I think there are easily 100 teams out there that can beat them with their depleted roster and all the turnover and turmoil. They havent played like a top 100 team in years. Portland, Pepperdine, San Diego, Pacific have all embarrassed them on single occasions in the last three years but combine their overall records and look at those bad losses in and out of conference, well theres a reason Rose isnt there anymore thats for sure.