• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zag buddy
    Banned
    • Dec 2007

Best comprehensive review I've seen

Gonzaga basketball is one of the most consistently great programs in the country. How will the Bulldogs respond in 2019-20 after losing four starters?

Best review yet.
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
    Very fair. Key takeaway, no star. Tils should be but.......

Comment

• Zagger
      Banned
      • Mar 2008

It is a concise review of the team @ this point in time. 4 players who I feel will tip the scales in the Zags favor over the season more than possibly projected are: Tillie, Ravet, Timme and Ballo. I honestly feel Tillie will color the season for the Zags - in a good way. I know injuries are a big concern with Killian. I just feel this will be his breakout season. The 3 others mentioned I feel will really excel as Zags .... more so than anticipated by most

Comment

• Markburn1
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2015

This season could be torture. The Zags will very possibly lose early to teams with lesser talent. They may have stretches during games where the coaches are pulling their hair out because of a lack of execution. They will also have stretches where they look incredible and that's why it will be tortuous. Fans will wonder why that isn't sustainable.

Having said that, this team has the potential to be as good or better than some of the recent Zag teams. I'm looking forward to the agony and the ecstasy. Hopefully more of the latter.

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

It'll be a team that wins with defense the first half of the season. After adjustments are made, offense will take over and we could well be undefeated in the the last half of the season. Especially so if the first half of the season defense continues to improve. No doubt with all the new faces, this team will take some time before they blossom. Big name doen't matter so much as the potential for 4-5 star performance. With all the talent , I think that'll happen just not immediately. 3 weeks we'll have a better feel for things. Here's hopin..

Comment

• West Side Lady
            Kennel Club Material
            • Apr 2017

Is Corey Kispert really 6'7"

Comment

• cggonzaga
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
              It'll be a team that wins with defense the first half of the season. After adjustments are made, offense will take over and we could well be undefeated in the the last half of the season. Especially so if the first half of the season defense continues to improve. No doubt with all the new faces, this team will take some time before they blossom. Big name doen't matter so much as the potential for 4-5 star performance. With all the talent , I think that'll happen just not immediately. 3 weeks we'll have a better feel for things. Here's hopin..
              Pretty rare but I agree 100%.

Comment

• DZ
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by West Side Lady View Post
                Is Corey Kispert really 6'7"
                No.

Not that I've met him with a tape measurer, but having "seen" him around other people who claim to be 6-6, 6-7, etc etc, the "6-7" sounds more aspirational than factual.

That's fine. Let the opponent think that another big is coming.
                Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                Mark Twain.

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

A very good article. I feel like I know the guys a lot better now. I'm getting super excited. We're down to weeks now. Excellent!

Go Zags!!!
                  Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• zaguarxj
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I've sort of had it in my head that it would be nice to see significant contributions from Ayayi and Ravet. But this article makes me realize how thin the Zags are at guard and that it is essential for Ayayi and/or Ravet to play meaningful minutes, unless the grad transfers can play a full 40 minutes every game. The only other option I can think of is to put Watson in at the "3" and have Kispert play the "2" but that seems unlikely. It'll be interesting to see who makes the most of their chance. Ayayi clearly has the advantage of experience and maturity. Ravet appears to be a great shooter and passer who might be a defensive liability. It will be fun to see who shines in the spotlight. I hope it's both of them.

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by zaguarxj View Post
                      I've sort of had it in my head that it would be nice to see significant contributions from Ayayi and Ravet. But this article makes me realize how thin the Zags are at guard and that it is essential for Ayayi and/or Ravet to play meaningful minutes, unless the grad transfers can play a full 40 minutes every game. The only other option I can think of is to put Watson in at the "3" and have Kispert play the "2" but that seems unlikely. It'll be interesting to see who makes the most of their chance. Ayayi clearly has the advantage of experience and maturity. Ravet appears to be a great shooter and passer who might be a defensive liability. It will be fun to see who shines in the spotlight. I hope it's both of them.
                      Personally, I'm not worried at all about the guard situation. I feel we'll be good. Ayayi has been in the system for two years and has matured a lot. He'll be ready for prime-time back-up minutes off the bench. I'm sure every fan is excited about seeing him play. Ravet will get minutes from time to time depending on the need each game. He'll need to take advantage of the minutes he gets and make the most of them. The better you play while on the court the more minutes you get each game. I'm excited about both of these bench backup guards.

Go Zags!!!
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• hooter73
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2008

I have this secret fingers crossed hope that Ayayi carriers over his play from this summer and become an unstoppable weapon that teams fear nationally with never a hiccup. I'll settle for solid backup, but he freaking killed it in FIBA.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                          I have this secret fingers crossed hope that Ayayi carriers over his play from this summer and become an unstoppable weapon that teams fear nationally with never a hiccup. I'll settle for solid backup, but he freaking killed it in FIBA.
                          Agreed, yet Ayayi is clearly the type of player who needs to "warm up" to the game, playing style, tempo, etc.

Very similar to Tillie in that way.

Joel was allowed to work through his early game mistakes or sloppy play.

He would often miss his first couple shots, or sloppy TO's, followed by 4 or 5 consecutive buckets, game breaking plays, etc.

Not sure he'll be 'allowed' the same luxury or long of leash at GU.

A great example was his play vs Team USA or Serbia. Started awful, then ended up with nearly 30 points and most scored in 2nd half.

Hope we remain patient with him. Pargo used to be this way as well, and Tillie is definitely like that. Even Kispert to an extent.

Gotta give Joel time to get in the flow of the game.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                            Personally, I'm not worried at all about the guard situation. I feel we'll be good. Ayayi has been in the system for two years and has matured a lot. He'll be ready for prime-time back-up minutes off the bench. I'm sure every fan is excited about seeing him play. Ravet will get minutes from time to time depending on the need each game. He'll need to take advantage of the minutes he gets and make the most of them. The better you play while on the court the more minutes you get each game. I'm excited about both of these bench backup guards.

Go Zags!!!
                            Haha I’m thinking somebody got some insider info on Ravet. Interesting how you went from Ravet being a stud to him now playing minutes here and there. I think Kraziness made it pretty clear that he was 9th on the depth chart at this time. We know Few only plays 7-8.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Like the Kraziness where he won the 3 pt competition ---- always room for a shooter with a short memory. Give him a chance to see what he can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X