Thread: Best comprehensive review I've seen

Default Best comprehensive review I've seen

The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Very fair. Key takeaway, no star. Tils should be but.......

It is a concise review of the team @ this point in time. 4 players who I feel will tip the scales in the Zags favor over the season more than possibly projected are: Tillie, Ravet, Timme and Ballo. I honestly feel Tillie will color the season for the Zags - in a good way. I know injuries are a big concern with Killian. I just feel this will be his breakout season. The 3 others mentioned I feel will really excel as Zags .... more so than anticipated by most
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

This season could be torture. The Zags will very possibly lose early to teams with lesser talent. They may have stretches during games where the coaches are pulling their hair out because of a lack of execution. They will also have stretches where they look incredible and that's why it will be tortuous. Fans will wonder why that isn't sustainable.

Having said that, this team has the potential to be as good or better than some of the recent Zag teams. I'm looking forward to the agony and the ecstasy. Hopefully more of the latter.

It'll be a team that wins with defense the first half of the season. After adjustments are made, offense will take over and we could well be undefeated in the the last half of the season. Especially so if the first half of the season defense continues to improve. No doubt with all the new faces, this team will take some time before they blossom. Big name doen't matter so much as the potential for 4-5 star performance. With all the talent , I think that'll happen just not immediately. 3 weeks we'll have a better feel for things. Here's hopin..

Is Corey Kispert really 6'7"

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    It'll be a team that wins with defense the first half of the season. After adjustments are made, offense will take over and we could well be undefeated in the the last half of the season. Especially so if the first half of the season defense continues to improve. No doubt with all the new faces, this team will take some time before they blossom. Big name doen't matter so much as the potential for 4-5 star performance. With all the talent , I think that'll happen just not immediately. 3 weeks we'll have a better feel for things. Here's hopin..
    Pretty rare but I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    Is Corey Kispert really 6'7"
    No.

Not that I've met him with a tape measurer, but having "seen" him around other people who claim to be 6-6, 6-7, etc etc, the "6-7" sounds more aspirational than factual.

That's fine. Let the opponent think that another big is coming.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

A very good article. I feel like I know the guys a lot better now. I'm getting super excited. We're down to weeks now. Excellent!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I've sort of had it in my head that it would be nice to see significant contributions from Ayayi and Ravet. But this article makes me realize how thin the Zags are at guard and that it is essential for Ayayi and/or Ravet to play meaningful minutes, unless the grad transfers can play a full 40 minutes every game. The only other option I can think of is to put Watson in at the "3" and have Kispert play the "2" but that seems unlikely. It'll be interesting to see who makes the most of their chance. Ayayi clearly has the advantage of experience and maturity. Ravet appears to be a great shooter and passer who might be a defensive liability. It will be fun to see who shines in the spotlight. I hope it's both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    I've sort of had it in my head that it would be nice to see significant contributions from Ayayi and Ravet. But this article makes me realize how thin the Zags are at guard and that it is essential for Ayayi and/or Ravet to play meaningful minutes, unless the grad transfers can play a full 40 minutes every game. The only other option I can think of is to put Watson in at the "3" and have Kispert play the "2" but that seems unlikely. It'll be interesting to see who makes the most of their chance. Ayayi clearly has the advantage of experience and maturity. Ravet appears to be a great shooter and passer who might be a defensive liability. It will be fun to see who shines in the spotlight. I hope it's both of them.
    Personally, I'm not worried at all about the guard situation. I feel we'll be good. Ayayi has been in the system for two years and has matured a lot. He'll be ready for prime-time back-up minutes off the bench. I'm sure every fan is excited about seeing him play. Ravet will get minutes from time to time depending on the need each game. He'll need to take advantage of the minutes he gets and make the most of them. The better you play while on the court the more minutes you get each game. I'm excited about both of these bench backup guards.

Go Zags!!!

I have this secret fingers crossed hope that Ayayi carriers over his play from this summer and become an unstoppable weapon that teams fear nationally with never a hiccup. I'll settle for solid backup, but he freaking killed it in FIBA.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    I have this secret fingers crossed hope that Ayayi carriers over his play from this summer and become an unstoppable weapon that teams fear nationally with never a hiccup. I'll settle for solid backup, but he freaking killed it in FIBA.
    Agreed, yet Ayayi is clearly the type of player who needs to "warm up" to the game, playing style, tempo, etc.

Very similar to Tillie in that way.

Joel was allowed to work through his early game mistakes or sloppy play.

He would often miss his first couple shots, or sloppy TO's, followed by 4 or 5 consecutive buckets, game breaking plays, etc.

Not sure he'll be 'allowed' the same luxury or long of leash at GU.

A great example was his play vs Team USA or Serbia. Started awful, then ended up with nearly 30 points and most scored in 2nd half.

Hope we remain patient with him. Pargo used to be this way as well, and Tillie is definitely like that. Even Kispert to an extent.

Gotta give Joel time to get in the flow of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Personally, I'm not worried at all about the guard situation. I feel we'll be good. Ayayi has been in the system for two years and has matured a lot. He'll be ready for prime-time back-up minutes off the bench. I'm sure every fan is excited about seeing him play. Ravet will get minutes from time to time depending on the need each game. He'll need to take advantage of the minutes he gets and make the most of them. The better you play while on the court the more minutes you get each game. I'm excited about both of these bench backup guards.

Go Zags!!!
    Haha I’m thinking somebody got some insider info on Ravet. Interesting how you went from Ravet being a stud to him now playing minutes here and there. I think Kraziness made it pretty clear that he was 9th on the depth chart at this time. We know Few only plays 7-8.

Like the Kraziness where he won the 3 pt competition ---- always room for a shooter with a short memory. Give him a chance to see what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Haha I’m thinking somebody got some insider info on Ravet. Interesting how you went from Ravet being a stud to him now playing minutes here and there. I think Kraziness made it pretty clear that he was 9th on the depth chart at this time. We know Few only plays 7-8.
    Ravet is a stud. When did I ever change my mind on that. My God, He's just a Freshman. Just starting out on a great career as a Bulldog. Please don't misquote me. I have not changed my attitude about Ravet, and won't until I see him play a few games. He was 8th on the depth chart and will see playing time. I believe that.

Go Zags!!!

Assuming that Ayayi can keep a level of consistency, I expect him to push for a starting position regardless of the health status of Gilder or Woolridge. And that's just based off of what I saw at Kraziness.
    And this is where you circle back to my opening words of consistency. The talent is there.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Assuming that Ayayi can keep a level of consistency, I expect him to push for a starting position regardless of the health status of Gilder or Woolridge. And that's just based off of what I saw at Kraziness.
    And this is where you circle back to my opening words of consistency. The talent is there.
    He has the advantage of knowing the system (offense and defense) already, will have the edge early when this team hits the ground running with their inverted schedule, and will have less to think about when gameplanning for the opposing team. He seems to be a tweener who isn't a prototypical PG or SG. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post

Agreed, yet Ayayi is clearly the type of player who needs to "warm up" to the game, playing style, tempo, etc.

Very similar to Tillie in that way.

Gotta give Joel time to get in the flow of the game.

What does this mean?

Does Tillie have better play in the 2nd half of games vs the first half? Or the 2nd half of his stints on the floor vs the first halves?

Does Joel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Ravet is a stud. When did I ever change my mind on that. My God, He's just a Freshman. Just starting out on a great career as a Bulldog. Please don't misquote me. I have not changed my attitude about Ravet, and won't until I see him play a few games. He was 8th on the depth chart and will see playing time. I believe that.

Go Zags!!!
    If Kraziness was any indication, and Few stated it was in the interview after, Ravet is 9th on the depth chart.

Woolridge
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Petrusev
    Watson
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet

I’m not putting words in your mouth. You’ve said he’s the next Dickau or Pangos. Now you’ve changed your tune in regards to his playing time as a freshman. Just feels like you’ve heard something. I’m not saying he’s not going to be a stud as a freshman but I came away from kraziness with doubts. I didn’t feel that way after watching Pangos at kraziness his freshman year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Like the Kraziness where he won the 3 pt competition ---- always room for a shooter with a short memory. Give him a chance to see what he can do.
    This.

And he will get his chances.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    If Kraziness was any indication, and Few stated it was in the interview after, Ravet is 9th on the depth chart.

Woolridge
    Gilder
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Petrusev
    Watson
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet

Iím not putting words in your mouth. Youíve said heís the next Dickau or Pangos. Now youíve changed your tune in regards to his playing time as a freshman. Just feels like youíve heard something. Iím not saying heís not going to be a stud as a freshman but I came away from kraziness with doubts. I didnít feel that way after watching Pangos at kraziness his freshman year.
    How far along was Dickau when he started playing for the Zags?

It seems to me that a lot of the discussion about Ravet was had before the Zags picked up Gilder and Woolridge. It has been intimated in the recruiting forum that they weren't brought in as bench depth, which has the ring of truth when you are talking about physically gifted, experienced grad transfers vs a freshman with average athleticism. Ravet's path to playing time was wide open prior to that.

Like all intelligent freshmen, Brock knows he has to adjust/acclimate to the speed of the D1 game and the next level players that will be defending him and the passing lanes. He may not hit the ground running with 9 threes his first (second?) game ala Pangos, but hes a very smart, very hard working competitor. He'll contribute.