Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norvell with the Lakers

Default Norvell with the Lakers

The Lakers are playing Brooklyn in Shanghai, China, right now, and Norvell and Stockton are both on the Lakers roster. Game is on NBA TV right now. Stockton hasn't entered the game yet, but Norvell has been on the floor 8 minutes now, and has two points so far.

Box Score

Score with about 5 minutes left in the game: Lakers 106 Brooklyn 108.

Got to be pretty darned exciting for Zach to be playing with LeBron and Anthony Davis in China!

Looks like interesting times in China for the NBA teams in this game, per this fascinating Washington Post story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...b63_story.html

Media events canceled in China for NBA preseason game

By Tim Reynolds | AP
    Oct. 10, 2019 at 5:39 a.m. PDT

In response to the NBA defending Daryl Morey’s freedom of speech, Chinese officials took it away from the Los Angeles Lakers and Brooklyn Nets.

All of the usual media sessions surrounding the Lakers-Nets preseason game in Shanghai on Thursday — including a scheduled news conference from NBA Commissioner Adam Silver and postgame news conferences with the teams — have been canceled. It’s the latest salvo in the rift between the league and China stemming from a since-deleted tweet posted last week by Morey, the general manager of the Houston Rockets.

“There will be no media availabilities for tonight’s game between the Brooklyn Nets and Los Angeles Lakers,” the NBA said in a statement Thursday, released a few hours before the game.

The game was held as scheduled, with Lakers forward LeBron James and Nets guard Kyrie Irving getting loud ovations when they were introduced as starters. But neither national anthem was played before the game, and no players addressed the crowd before tip-off in a departure from tradition before such international games. Fans arriving at the arena to watch — many of them donning NBA jerseys — were handed small Chinese flags to carry with them inside, and at least one person carried a sign critical of Silver.
    Most seats were filled, and fans reacted as they would normally — oohs and aahs for good plays, applause for baskets, the loudest cheers coming whenever James touched the ball. Some fans may be upset with the NBA, but they still seem to have their favorite players.

“If we have to choose, we will choose to support our country,” said fan Ma Shipeng, who brought 900 flags to hand out to fellow fans. “We only like some particular basketball players, but we don’t like NBA anymore. I give away Chinese flags tonight, as I hope people to put the national interest in front of following NBA. I will continue to support James. But none of our Chinese people would accept what Morey and Silver said.”
    Morey’s tweet expressed support for anti-government protesters in Hong Kong, and sparked fallout that has completely overshadowed the NBA’s annual trip to China — which typically takes on a celebratory tone.

Not this year. Most events in advance of the game, such as NBA Cares events to benefit educational causes and the Special Olympics, were called off, as was a “fan night” where Lakers and Nets players were to interact directly with some Chinese ticketholders. Signage in Shanghai to promote the game — huge photos of James, Anthony Davis, Irving and other players — was ripped down, and mentions of the game were scrubbed from the arena website.

All that comes as many Chinese corporations suspended their business ties to the NBA. Chinese state broadcaster CCTV said it was not going to show the Lakers-Nets games on Thursday or in Shenzhen on Saturday, and NBA broadcast partner Tencent also said it was changing its coverage plans for the league.

Zach with 7 points with 20 seconds left in the game. Zach hit two free throws to tie the game 111-111, but then Brooklyn shot a free throw to lead the game 112-11.

Now Brooklyn scores the last 2 points to win it.

Next game for Zach and Stockton's Lakers is Saturday vs. Brooklyn in Guangdong, China.

Haven't watched this yet, but hoping for some highlights of Zach's play in the game:

Edited to add: Look for Zach's #21 during the last 5 minutes of so of the video.

Nice piece about Zach's performance with the Lakers so far:

Zach Norvell is turning heads so far in Lakers training camp

Lakers two-way player Zach Norvell Jr. has carried his momentum from summer league into training camp.
    By Christian Rivas@RadRivas Oct 10, 2019, 4:59pm PDT

Over the last few years, the Los Angeles Lakers have developed a reputation for finding talent late in the draft or, in some cases, outside of the draft. This season, they’re hoping their diamond in the rough can be Zach Norvell Jr., an undrafted guard out of Gonzaga.

The 21-year-old signed a two-way contract with the Lakers shortly after he went undrafted in June. Since then, he’s looked the part of an NBA player, and his teammates have taken notice.

After practice on the Tuesday before the Lakers hit the road to start the preseason, Anthony Davis said he’s been encouraged by the competitive spirit he’s seen from Norvell and Talen Horton-Tucker, who — like Davis — are natives of Chicago.

“Zach has been playing well. He’s been coming to practice, being scrappy defensively, making shots. To have those two guys on the team, and trying to mentor them and just kind of give them some knowledge has been great,” Davis said.

Lakers head coach Frank Vogel also acknowledged that Norvell has stood out through the first few weeks of training camp.

”Zach’s had a good camp. Not just shooting the ball well, but making plays off the bounce, picking up the defensive coverages really well,” Vogel said.

Oh, thanks ZN!!! I got NBA League Pass this year so I can watch all the guys!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

What are you paying for it? I've been thinking about getting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Oh, thanks ZN!!! I got NBA League Pass this year so I can watch all the guys!

I have DISH so it's $199 for the whole year... so about $25 a month?
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Thanks! That's a little bit rich for me, I'm afraid ....

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    I have DISH so it's $199 for the whole year... so about $25 a month?

Lakers-Brooklyn game in Shenzhen, China, on now on NBA TV.

Zach enters the game at the end of the 1st and promptly nails a 3-pointer.

Edited to add: Box Score
    Last edited by ZagNative; 10-12-2019 at 07:02 AM.

1 for six on threes and 1-8 total in 23 min. Ouch!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    1 for six on threes and 1-8 total in 23 min. Ouch!
    This can't come as a surprise to Gonzaga fans. Zach is just as likely to go 8-18 and 4-9 on threes (BYU) as he is to go 1-11 and 0-6 0n threes (St. Mary's).

He's streaky and a volume shooter. He will need to become more consistent at a higher percentage if he is to stick in the League. His 37% career 3pt shooting at Gonzaga isn't good enough because his shooting accuracy is his ticket to success in the NBA.

Zach starting for the Lakers now on NBA TV. Box Score

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Zach starting for the Lakers now on NBA TV. Box Score
    Leading scorer at the break of 1st quarter.

Now Stockton has entered the game as well. After 5 minutes, he's got 3 points.

Norvell getting some good press from the announcers tonight.

They mention multiple times that he went undrafted.

Can Milehigh or anyone in the know explain how the 2nd round works regards to players to some extent choosing to not "accept" a draft pick?

I thought Milehigh or Mojo13 or someone with NBA knowledge explained how in the 2nd round it's typical for the teams to call the player's agent and/or player and make sure the draft pick was "ok" before the choice was made public or something like that.

Crazy stuff. Norvell's getting his big points and breakin ankles in the same game. David Stockton may just stick. He's got 10 pts in 20 minutes.
    Clarke tonight 16 pts 9 boards in 20 min Very superior performance. Fun watching our guys in the league.

Just in case anyone forgot, Zach was NOT drafted.

How sweet it is!
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Norvell getting some good press from the announcers tonight.

They mention multiple times that he went undrafted.

Can Milehigh or anyone in the know explain how the 2nd round works regards to players to some extent choosing to not "accept" a draft pick?

I thought Milehigh or Mojo13 or someone with NBA knowledge explained how in the 2nd round it's typical for the teams to call the player's agent and/or player and make sure the draft pick was "ok" before the choice was made public or something like that.

I've heard that, but I didn't mention it here so maybe Milehigh commented on it. However it very clear being drafted in the 2nd round, especially the late second, can be more detrimental than going undrafted. Going undrafted can preserve the freedom to pick and choose the best spot for a player. Maybe the player and the agent prefer a system, roster, style or coaching that may give the player the best chance to succeed.

2nd round picks usually only benefit the NBA team - yes it can show a commitment or investment in a player, but there is no guarantee, and the player has no control of his fit or the roster above him. They are locked to that club. You have to wonder if some of the undrafted wonders like Fred Van Vleet would have turned out near the same if they were drafted in the 2nd and stuck in another system.

The Lakers are desperate for shooting depth - so despite some posters concerns about LA-LA-land this could be a very good spot for Norvell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    I've heard that, but I didn't mention it here so maybe Milehigh commented on it. However it very clear being drafted in the 2nd round, especially the late second, can be more detrimental than going undrafted. Going undrafted can preserve the freedom to pick and choose the best spot for a player. Maybe the player and the agent prefer a system, roster, style or coaching that may give the player the best chance to succeed.

2nd round picks usually only benefit the NBA team - yes it can show a commitment or investment in a player, but there is no guarantee, and the player has no control of his fit or the roster above him. They are locked to that club. You have to wonder if some of the undrafted wonders like Fred Van Vleet would have turned out near the same if they were drafted in the 2nd and stuck in another system.

The Lakers are desperate for shooting depth - so despite some posters concerns about LA-LA-land this could be a very good spot for Norvell.
    If a team drafts a player in the second round, and the player doesn't make the 15 man roster (or one of the 2 two way spots) then it is a wasted pick as the player can sign with anyone. This hinders a teams ability to draft a guy in the second round and then have him develop in the G-League or overseas. To get around this, players can sign a "draft and stash" deal where the team that drafted them keeps their rights but doesnt pay him anything (other than training camp per diem) and the player then negotiates a deal with any g league or European team that they can get a deal from.

"the draft and stash" really limits a players options so most players would rather just be waived. Although, NWG was a draft and stash and it worked out for him because the Jazz made it clear that they thought he would ultimately make their 15 after a year or two

Rather than waste picks, teams will contact agents before, and during the draft, to see if their client is interested in a draft and stash, if they are they will draft them. If not they will sometimes agree right then to have them come into camp as a FA. Top third of 2nd round usually get guaranteed money so those are good spots to get drafted, after that most players prefer the FA route.

Some agents will let all 30 GMs know before the draft even begins that unless they are going to give their client guaranteed money dont bother drafting him because he wont agree to a "stash" deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    If a team drafts a player in the second round, and the player doesn't make the 15 man roster (or one of the 2 two way spots) then it is a wasted pick as the player can sign with anyone. This hinders a teams ability to draft a guy in the second round and then have him develop in the G-League or overseas. To get around this, players can sign a "draft and stash" deal where the team that drafted them keeps their rights but doesnt pay him anything (other than training camp per diem) and the player then negotiates a deal with any g league or European team that they can get a deal from.

"the draft and stash" really limits a players options so most players would rather just be waived. Although, NWG was a draft and stash and it worked out for him because the Jazz made it clear that they thought he would ultimately make their 15 after a year or two

Rather than waste picks, teams will contact agents before, and during the draft, to see if their client is interested in a draft and stash, if they are they will draft them. If not they will sometimes agree right then to have them come into camp as a FA. Top third of 2nd round usually get guaranteed money so those are good spots to get drafted, after that most players prefer the FA route.

Some agents will let all 30 GMs know before the draft even begins that unless they are going to give their client guaranteed money dont bother drafting him because he wont agree to a "stash" deal.
    I wish the announcers on some of these games would give this context.

As it stands, I bet 90% of the audience assumes that "going undrafted" means there were at least 60 guys that teams wanted before they wanted you. Not that they might have talked to you, or given you an offer, but that you wanted to hold out for something with more freedom and options.

Norvell with 27 point in 33 minutes (5-10 from 3)!