Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kraziness News

We need Caldwell to clarify here...

What's the connection to Channing Frye? For Jalen, Gonzaga, or College hoops recruiting?

does his 'congrats' mean something?

Not to be mr. pessimistic jr, but we've all been down this road before with b.williams. shouldn't read into social media posts from a teenager maybe

Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    Not to be mr. pessimistic jr, but we've all been down this road before with b.williams. shouldn't read into social media posts from a teenager maybe
    Caldwell is the one that folks are listening to. He has insider knowledge that the rest of us salivate over, not responding to teenager tweets.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

At this point, the theory that he’s waiting for after that high school football all star game (whether it’s when the actual game is or when they announce the teams) makes perfect sense. We have a trusted source saying it’s as good as done (for a while now), all these clues on Instagram. No other reason we know of to not formally announce except for that.

It would be exhausting to be a teenager today with a smartphone.

Sugg's instagram non-commitment commitment has 35,000+ likes and hundreds of comments just a few hours after putting it up.

Obviously elite highschool athletes are in the top .1% of inundation in social media 24/7 but it must screw with the head a little (or a lot). It almost makes me sad to see all the pictures of recruits on their official visits with their heads in the phones the whole time. It's impressive that Zion was or seemed to be a genuinely nice and humble kid last year.

Despite the above grumpiness, I'm only just past 30 myself. Facebook existed for part of my undergrad. I just got lucky and barely escaped any time in high school or college with smartphones were ubiquitous.

Quote Originally Posted by RockandRollJames View Post
    At this point, the theory that he’s waiting for after that high school football all star game (whether it’s when the actual game is or when they announce the teams) makes perfect sense. We have a trusted source saying it’s as good as done (for a while now), all these clues on Instagram. No other reason we know of to not formally announce except for that.
    If you search and try to find other ways this could go, you can find some sketchy whispers that Suggs has thoughts of playing pro for a year instead. I don’t buy it since there is not much besides random rumors without much support (Suggs has never mentioned it as an option and no reputable outlet has reported it to my knowledge).

On the flip side, I have seen a couple local MN sports reporters (tv I believe) post online that they believe Jalen is essentially officially a Zag without in fact making it official.id post but it would take some serious online searching I cannot handle.

Honestly I can understand some people’s skepticism especially for a recruit as highly touted as Jalen, but GU has been good long enough that we’d land a truly elite recruit at some point. Why not start believing it’ll be the one that EVERY recruiting outlet believes it is (I tell myself over and over again)?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    It would be exhausting to be a teenager today with a smartphone.

Sugg's instagram non-commitment commitment has 35,000+ likes and hundreds of comments just a few hours after putting it up.

Obviously elite highschool athletes are in the top .1% of inundation in social media 24/7 but it must screw with the head a little (or a lot). It almost makes me sad to see all the pictures of recruits on their official visits with their heads in the phones the whole time. It's impressive that Zion was or seemed to be a genuinely nice and humble kid last year.

Despite the above grumpiness, I'm only just past 30 myself. Facebook existed for part of my undergrad. I just got lucky and barely escaped any time in high school or college with smartphones were ubiquitous.
    Early 30s here as well. I certainly agree that I’m grateful social media wasn’t around when I was super immature because lord knows what I would’ve posted on there. However, it would’ve been pretty nice to have Tinder while I was in college haha.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Great News CaldwellZag! Thank you

Go Zags!

Officials on either Chet or Suggs would be huge. Both would be unprecedented. Getting Chet, in particular, would be a wonderful gift.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    I would say if I was a basketball recruiting analyst on 247 I would make two very easy predictions on that site for Suggs and Holmgren predicting Gonzaga for both. I’m surprised by the positive reaction Holmgren has towards Gonzaga and he feed off the fan support. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him commit before Jalen.
    Agree 100% with this statement on all parts... If I was (I mean I am) a football fan I would definitely watch the Under Armour All-American game this winter (January), as I think there will be some good stuff coming out of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I could be misremembering, but I seem to recall seeing a picture of Brandon Williams in a Zag jersey, and we all know how that turned out.
    Ugh really you have to remind me it is not official please understand that was a photo shoot.

IT IS NOT OFFICIALLY OFFICIAL AND IT WILL STAY THAT WAY FOR AWHILE.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Suggs for a year would be great

BUT then you start going , what about if there was an injury, or that doesnt leave any time for someone else to learn from a 2nd or 3rd year star point guard.

Jazz may be rubbing off on me lol
    A year or two with Suggs will help the whole program get better, even Ravet who I do think will be a great PG, but the end of his 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by OCzag View Post
    If you search and try to find other ways this could go, you can find some sketchy whispers that Suggs has thoughts of playing pro for a year instead. I don’t buy it since there is not much besides random rumors without much support (Suggs has never mentioned it as an option and no reputable outlet has reported it to my knowledge).

On the flip side, I have seen a couple local MN sports reporters (tv I believe) post online that they believe Jalen is essentially officially a Zag without in fact making it official.id post but it would take some serious online searching I cannot handle.

Honestly I can understand some people’s skepticism especially for a recruit as highly touted as Jalen, but GU has been good long enough that we’d land a truly elite recruit at some point. Why not start believing it’ll be the one that EVERY recruiting outlet believes it is (I tell myself over and over again)?
    I can confirm that there were whispers of the pro thing for a year, but also can confirm that there is a tight bound with the four guys. Suggs is not a Zag officially, but man that jersey will look nice in 2020... Everyone needs to take a deep breathe or grab a cold beer and just enjoy where GU is right now in recruiting. Social media will drive you nuts!!

If I was in your guys shoes I would follow Chet and his recruitment more than Suggs at this point (until the Under Armour football game).

Thanks Caldwell and ZagBlue! Very exciting to hear that these guys are 99% Zags! I have complete faith that recruiting is only getting better and better!

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Suggs commits to GU during the Under Armour All-America football game. You heard it here 1st folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Thanks Caldwell and ZagBlue! Very exciting to hear that these guys are 99% Zags! I have complete faith that recruiting is only getting better and better!
    ZagBlue is one of the more knowledgeable people I know about recruiting. When he says something I would listen, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    ZagBlue is one of the more knowledgeable people I know about recruiting. When he says something I would listen, just saying.
    Thanks to both of you guys for keying us in. It's appreciated! Exciting time to be a Zags fan!

Doesn't look like he's received an invite for the UA game yet. Will be interesting to see if that materializes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Doesn't look like he's received an invite for the UA game yet. Will be interesting to see if that materializes.
    If it materializes then Suggs will make his unofficial official announcement "officially official" but if it doesn't then his "unofficial official" will become "officially official" shortly after the UA team is announced. These four are going form one hell of a recruiting class to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Ugh really you have to remind me it is not official please understand that was a photo shoot.

IT IS NOT OFFICIALLY OFFICIAL AND IT WILL STAY THAT WAY FOR AWHILE.
    That one sucked. Sorry to bring it up Unfortunately, for Brandon, it didn’t work out too badly for the Zags because of his injury bug. I very much wanted him to be a Zag.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    If it materializes then Suggs will make his unofficial official announcement "officially official" but if it doesn't then his "unofficial official" will become "officially official" shortly after the UA team is announced. These four are going form one hell of a recruiting class to say the least.
    Chet is currently listed as a 2021, and not a part of this recruiting class, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Chet is currently listed as a 2021, and not a part of this recruiting class, correct?
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    for what little it's worth, other sources are saying things along the lines of caldwell's (rather overt) hints. reading bbz's post, my guess is he just got overly excited and got a couple details wrong-- or at least stated them in a way that they could easily be misinterpreted.

this is based on no direct inside knowledge, just observing the consensus of those that seem to have access.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    for what little it's worth, other sources are saying things along the lines of caldwell's (rather overt) hints. reading bbz's post, my guess is he just got overly excited and got a couple details wrong-- or at least stated them in a way that they could easily be misinterpreted.

this is based on no direct inside knowledge, just observing the consensus of those that seem to have access.
    Or I've learned never to discount the possibility of a kid moving up a year and the Zags unleashing the Twin Towers in 2020 (Ballo & Holmgren) but as of right now I should have stated he is a 2021 recruit not a 2020 and currently not part of the 2020 recruiting class.