Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kraziness News

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Or I've learned never to discount the possibility of a kid moving up a year and the Zags unleashing the Twin Towers in 2020 (Ballo & Holmgren) but as of right now I should have stated he is a 2021 recruit not a 2020 and currently not part of the 2020 recruiting class.
    Or the Triple Towers -- Zakharov, Ballo, and Holmgren? (Sort of been thinking Zak & Ballo could be "unleashed" off the bench as Collins & Tillie were a few years ago. They were, back then, an awesome option for opposing teams to endure.)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Or I've learned never to discount the possibility of a kid moving up a year and the Zags unleashing the Twin Towers in 2020 (Ballo & Holmgren) but as of right now I should have stated he is a 2021 recruit not a 2020 and currently not part of the 2020 recruiting class.
    not to quibble, but there's big leap between not discounting a possibility and being the first to claim something has a real chance to happen.

if you were trying to drop new knowledge on us, i apologize for misinterpreting. the way it was written, it looked more like a mistake (to me, and at least one other) than a hint.

Default Kraziness News

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Alright I flooded the Suggs board with the idea of Big news. I am just going to put this in one thread and please post in here. There are two parts to the big news that I will get into when the time is right. Both involved the four players who were on campus this weekend, no mystery recruits, no 5 star out of the blue in January. There are still details in the works and still things that I need to make sure I can say. This is positive news for GU.

Here is what I can say.

Jalen loved/is loving his visit.

Dom loves Gonzaga

Julian loves Gonzaga

Chet LOVED Gonzaga

Can you imagine hearing the tricky trio chant in the Kennel for the next few years? Do you think Jalen would stay around to play with Chet if the possibility was there? These are all questions I have been asking myself since Kraziness!

And for those who think Chet was disengaged and on his phone, please drop those rumors, let me tell you he was not and he was blown away by the Zags.
    So if the two parts involve the four recruits who were on campus, and two are already committed, then I guess it’s stating the obvious that the big news involves Jalen & Chet. Seems like a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OCzag View Post
    If you search and try to find other ways this could go, you can find some sketchy whispers that Suggs has thoughts of playing pro for a year instead. I don’t buy it since there is not much besides random rumors without much support (Suggs has never mentioned it as an option and no reputable outlet has reported it to my knowledge).

On the flip side, I have seen a couple local MN sports reporters (tv I believe) post online that they believe Jalen is essentially officially a Zag without in fact making it official.id post but it would take some serious online searching I cannot handle.

Honestly I can understand some people’s skepticism especially for a recruit as highly touted as Jalen, but GU has been good long enough that we’d land a truly elite recruit at some point. Why not start believing it’ll be the one that EVERY recruiting outlet believes it is (I tell myself over and over again)?
    You can take this for what it is worth, Its not from the horses mouth, but instead from the mouth of someone that talked to the horse. Very connected AAU club director in Twin Cities told me that he talked to Suggs family after Hampton decided to go pro and they said they are watching closely how RJ's experience goes in Australia because Jalen is considering going the same route. So it's double hearsay AND it is from a 17 year old kid so, like I said, take it for what it is worth. It will all shake out by April/May(or sooner) where I assume Suggs would let the Zags know at that point whether or not he would honor his LOI or instead go play pro

One thing that I can say for sure is that if he goes the college route, barring injury, IMO he is 100% a one and done kid. He is really really polished for a kid his age and has all the physical tools that the top NBA guards have. Top 5 pick in 2021 draft IMO

[QUOTE=MileHigh;1478215]You can take this for what it is worth, Its not from the horses mouth, but instead from the mouth of someone that talked to the horse. Very connected AAU club director in Twin Cities told me that he talked to Suggs family after Hampton decided to go pro and they said they are watching closely how RJ's experience goes in Australia because Jalen is considering going the same route. So it's double hearsay AND it is from a 17 year old kid so, like I said, take it for what it is worth. It will all shake out by April/May(or sooner) where I assume Suggs would let the Zags know at that point whether or not he would honor his LOI or instead go play pro

One thing that I can say for sure is that if he goes the college route, barring injury, IMO he is 100% a one and done kid. He is really really polished for a kid his age and has all the physical tools that the top NBA guards have. Top 5 pick in 2021

Seems to me, it’s smart to keep all options on the table. I surely hope the kid makes the correct decision for him and his family. In any case, it appears the NBA is in his future.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    You can take this for what it is worth, Its not from the horses mouth, but instead from the mouth of someone that talked to the horse. Very connected AAU club director in Twin Cities told me that he talked to Suggs family after Hampton decided to go pro and they said they are watching closely how RJ's experience goes in Australia because Jalen is considering going the same route. So it's double hearsay AND it is from a 17 year old kid so, like I said, take it for what it is worth. It will all shake out by April/May(or sooner) where I assume Suggs would let the Zags know at that point whether or not he would honor his LOI or instead go play pro

One thing that I can say for sure is that if he goes the college route, barring injury, IMO he is 100% a one and done kid. He is really really polished for a kid his age and has all the physical tools that the top NBA guards have. Top 5 pick in 2021 draft IMO
    Thanks MileHigh! RJ is definitely the one Jalen has been monitoring. And I think your timeline is spot on, I just get the feel that ultimately it will be GU and not overseas, but there is a chance of overseas.

Somebody should play him that Adam Morrison/Doug Gottlieb podcast. Professional basketball can be a grind and ruthless. Adam is the better for it but it almost took his passion for basketball away.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Somebody should play him that Adam Morrison/Doug Gottlieb podcast. Professional basketball can be a grind and ruthless. Adam is the better for it but it almost took his passion for basketball away.
    Watching the NBA in the second half of the season is painful. So many guys are playing through injuries or out with injuries and they all look exhausted. I find myself hoping that the teams I root for in the playoffs will win early in the beginning series just to get a few more days to rest.
    Parlez-vous français?

Maybe, but the money and the glamor in the NBA are unequaled in modern professional sports.

Does anyone know of any realistic timeline for the NBA switching to the MLB model of coming in strait out of high school or having to wait two years? Could you that have any impact on Jalen?

No, Jalen is not gonna be impacted by any NBA rule change. Those take more than a few months to implement typically.

I’ve stated this before, but as a college basketball fan you have to realize the top players don’t dream of playing college ball. They dream of playing in the NBA and everything that comes with it. Even if college players start getting paid, De’Aaron Fox put it pretty bluntly this week when asked if he would have stayed in college—a quick laugh and a “**** no.”

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Thanks MileHigh! RJ is definitely the one Jalen has been monitoring. And I think your timeline is spot on, I just get the feel that ultimately it will be GU and not overseas, but there is a chance of overseas.
    Well you can’t take a lot from 2 games but since most NBA scouts may only get to see RJ Hampton play in 2 games this year, those games could possibly carry more weight. As some of you know, RJ signed in New Zealand and his team helped get him in front of NBA scouts by scheduling two preseason games against bad nba teams. RJ just wrapped up his 2 games on US soil for the year and now he goes back to New Zealand for 5 months. Combined in his 2 games against Memphis and OKC, he shot 3-19 from the field with a +- of -42 (the worst in his team).

Does this impact his draft stock.... who knows? But scouts essentially will not see him now with any regularity for about 6 months. This going overseas at the age of a college freshman is tough. Think about it: Jalen Suggs gets 20 games against our league competition to show what he can do. RJ Hampton got 2 games against preseason NBA rosters to make an impression before his draft workouts. For me personally, there is no way I would take the risk that RJ is taking. I believe he will probably still be a lottery pick but I don’t see how that would be any different if he stayed in the US

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Maybe, but the money and the glamor in the NBA are unequaled in modern professional sports.
    There are 3 soccer players and 2 NFL players who earn more than anyone in the NBA. Those 3 soccer players also have more "glamor" if that's a synonym for fame or worldwide prestige.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    Well you can’t take a lot from 2 games but since most NBA scouts may only get to see RJ Hampton play in 2 games this year, those games could possibly carry more weight. As some of you know, RJ signed in New Zealand and his team helped get him in front of NBA scouts by scheduling two preseason games against bad nba teams. RJ just wrapped up his 2 games on US soil for the year and now he goes back to New Zealand for 5 months. Combined in his 2 games against Memphis and OKC, he shot 3-19 from the field with a +- of -42 (the worst in his team).

Does this impact his draft stock.... who knows? But scouts essentially will not see him now with any regularity for about 6 months. This going overseas at the age of a college freshman is tough. Think about it: Jalen Suggs gets 20 games against our league competition to show what he can do. RJ Hampton got 2 games against preseason NBA rosters to make an impression before his draft workouts. For me personally, there is no way I would take the risk that RJ is taking. I believe he will probably still be a lottery pick but I don’t see how that would be any different if he stayed in the US
    I think this is a good point.

RJ's domestic NBA preview either did nothing for his draft and pro prospects, or it had a negative impact (perhaps a large one). That's not to say that Jalen Suggs and the other potential HS seniors won't follow suit, but they wouldn't look at RJ and want to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    There are 3 soccer players and 2 NFL players who earn more than anyone in the NBA. Those 3 soccer players also have more "glamor" if that's a synonym for fame or worldwide prestige.
    Top to top, the Messis v the Brons, I still think NBA players have more glamor than the galacticos. But arguable.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Top to top, the Messis v the Brons, I still think NBA players have more glamor than the galacticos. But arguable.
    Tough call... The top soccer players, outside of the US, are treated like gods by their fan bases. Messi is far more followed and revered than LeBron. Messi literally has BILLIONS of people across the world, even a handful in the US, that know and follow him. Basketball is growing, but it is not remotely as popular as soccer is across the world.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Don’t know about soccer, but NFL players can get cut. A good portion of the salary is usually not-gauranteed, so the player carries the risk. It’s not necessarily a fair comparison with the full guarantee in the nba.
    Last edited by ZagsObserver; 10-12-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Cool KREM2

Not sure whether this's been posted anywhere at GuBoards. Has some actual video of Kraziness (a little). Also some info/video of the four recruits who visited. Plus, info & some brief video of Ballo. Early they report on Tillie's situation (w/Few's few comments). A brief interview of Kispert. (Suggs & Co. sure looked comfortable together. Almost like teammates.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr9Sa_EEsHg

Here's a bit more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvI5BbE-IGM

:]
    Last edited by Kiddwell; 10-11-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I think this is a good point.

RJ's domestic NBA preview either did nothing for his draft and pro prospects, or it had a negative impact (perhaps a large one). That's not to say that Jalen Suggs and the other potential HS seniors won't follow suit, but they wouldn't look at RJ and want to emulate.
    I dont think the short over seas careers of these HS phenoms is really designed to boost their draft stock as much as give them a chance to play against better competition, train and play 24/7, and make $$ while they are at it.
    So far, the 3 that have gone this route (B. Jennings, E. Mudiay, T. Furguson) ended up getting drafted about where they were projected before they went pro, despite struggling in the overseas season. Jennings avg 5 pts a game in Italy and was then a lottery pick. Mudiay got hurt and only played 10 games in China and was a lottery pick, and Furguson avg 6 pts a game in New Zealand and went mid first round. IMO the NBA guys draft 18 and 19 year olds based on potential and they have almost always seen enough of these kids by time they are done with HS to have a feel for their potential and ceiling (or lack thereof)and the pro stuff cant really change it much.

That being said, I think there is reason only 4 one and done kids have gone this route, and the vast.vast, majority have gone the college route and that is because the college route is much easier, much more familiar, and much more glamorous. You enroll in a top school, take 12 hours of the easiest classes you can for that first semester and if you pass those classes first semester you literally do not have to even attend class the second semester. January through April is just basketball in front of 10k fans every night, partying, and living a wonderful college life style. Thats pretty appealing to most kids

Plus playing on US soil in person before family and friends and for a national tv audience .... and Dickie V., who doesn’t do much in outer slobovia.

I dont think the short over seas careers of these HS phenoms is really designed to boost their draft stock as much as give them a chance to play against better competition, train and play 24/7, and make $$ while they are at it.
    So far, the 3 that have gone this route (B. Jennings, E. Mudiay, T. Furguson) ended up getting drafted about where they were projected before they went pro, despite struggling in the overseas season. Jennings avg 5 pts a game in Italy and was then a lottery pick. Mudiay got hurt and only played 10 games in China and was a lottery pick, and Furguson avg 6 pts a game in New Zealand and went mid first round. IMO the NBA guys draft 18 and 19 year olds based on potential and they have almost always seen enough of these kids by time they are done with HS to have a feel for their potential and ceiling (or lack thereof)and the pro stuff cant really change it much.

That being said, I think there is reason only 4 one and done kids have gone this route, and the vast.vast, majority have gone the college route and that is because the college route is much easier, much more familiar, and much more glamorous. You enroll in a top school, take 12 hours of the easiest classes you can for that first semester and if you pass those classes first semester you literally do not have to even attend class the second semester. January through April is just basketball in front of 10k fans every night, partying, and living a wonderful college life style. Thats pretty appealing to most kids

you literally do not have to even attend class the second semester. January through April is just basketball in front of 10k fans every night, partying, and living a wonderful college life style. Thats pretty appealing to most kids

I feel that there should be midterms or finals (depending on whether quarters or trimesters) and each student athlete should be required to be attending class with a passing grade average, to be allowed to participate in conference tourneys and March Madness.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I feel that there should be midterms or finals (depending on whether quarters or trimesters) and each student athlete should be required to be attending class with a passing grade average, to be allowed to participate in conference tourneys and March Madness.
    Kidd of UC Berkeley never attend one class his second semester of his sophomore year and was a 1st rounder...just played ball...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Kidd of UC Berkeley never attend one class his second semester of his sophomore year and was a 1st rounder...just played ball...
    Ben Simmons did the same at LSU. Never went into a classroom after Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Ben Simmons did the same at LSU. Never went into a classroom after Xmas
    I know that. I think it is wrong. I think that only STUDENT athletes should be allowed to participate in the big events.

Football isn't a problem. If they go to college, they go to college for 2-3 years, minimum. Same in baseball. It is basketball that doesn't make the STUDENT athletes be students.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I know that. I think it is wrong. I think that only STUDENT athletes should be allowed to participate in the big events.

Football isn't a problem. If they go to college, they go to college for 2-3 years, minimum. Same in baseball. It is basketball that doesn't make the STUDENT athletes be students.
    You bring up good points, but you're talking about a tiny percentage of the athletes. There are almost 5000 D1 basketball players alone. How many are one and done, two and done, even going to play in the NBA, or pro at all. Most are completing there degree, a degree they won't have to pay for but will have for the rest of their lives. That's my problem with most of these proposals, we're possibly making huge changes to a system that benefits so many for the sake of such a small minority. I hope a solution can be found that doesn't end up ruining a good thing for hundreds of thousands of student athletes.