Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 87 of 87

Thread: Kraziness News

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Opportunity, WA
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    You bring up good points, but you're talking about a tiny percentage of the athletes. There are almost 5000 D1 basketball players alone. How many are one and done, two and done, even going to play in the NBA, or pro at all. Most are completing there degree, a degree they won't have to pay for but will have for the rest of their lives. That's my problem with most of these proposals, we're possibly making huge changes to a system that benefits so many for the sake of such a small minority. I hope a solution can be found that doesn't end up ruining a good thing for hundreds of thousands of student athletes.
    What I don't understand clearly is how NCAA athletics are ruined for 5,000 or more student athletes just because Zion still attends Duke and gets to cash a Nike check in broad daylight.
    Agent provocateur

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    You bring up good points, but you're talking about a tiny percentage of the athletes. There are almost 5000 D1 basketball players alone. How many are one and done, two and done, even going to play in the NBA, or pro at all. Most are completing there degree, a degree they won't have to pay for but will have for the rest of their lives. That's my problem with most of these proposals, we're possibly making huge changes to a system that benefits so many for the sake of such a small minority. I hope a solution can be found that doesn't end up ruining a good thing for hundreds of thousands of student athletes.
    So it should be easy to require the one and dones to be current in their studies if they want to play in March.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    What I don't understand clearly is how NCAA athletics are ruined for 5,000 or more student athletes just because Zion still attends Duke and gets to cash a Nike check in broad daylight.
    Because there will be a bidding war between a couple dozen schools for the cream of the cream even more so than there is now. A Duke booster will let the kid know he will pay a thousand dollars per autograph while the folks surrounding Georgia Tech basketball don't have the wherewithal to compete with that. The elite schools will get the more lucrative contracts from the shoe and apparel whores further tipping the scales. The result will be a super conference with the rest of collegiate basketball having a less than desirable product further eroding their fan base and eventually looking like DII basketball. Because of that, THOSE 5000 athletes will be on the losing end of reduced scholarships because nobody will be interested in watching an inferior product. Because basketball is one of only two sports that have a chance of creating positive cash flow at the collegiate level, less money will be available for the tens of thousands of other athletes in both men's and women's sports.

    Other than that, everything will be cool. All for a comparative handful of kids.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Because there will be a bidding war between a couple dozen schools for the cream of the cream even more so than there is now. A Duke booster will let the kid know he will pay a thousand dollars per autograph while the folks surrounding Georgia Tech basketball don't have the wherewithal to compete with that. The elite schools will get the more lucrative contracts from the shoe and apparel whores further tipping the scales. The result will be a super conference with the rest of collegiate basketball having a less than desirable product further eroding their fan base and eventually looking like DII basketball. Because of that, THOSE 5000 athletes will be on the losing end of reduced scholarships because nobody will be interested in watching an inferior product. Because basketball is one of only two sports that have a chance of creating positive cash flow at the collegiate level, less money will be available for the tens of thousands of other athletes in both men's and women's sports.

    Other than that, everything will be cool. All for a comparative handful of kids.
    AMEN. Well said.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Because there will be a bidding war between a couple dozen schools for the cream of the cream even more so than there is now. A Duke booster will let the kid know he will pay a thousand dollars per autograph while the folks surrounding Georgia Tech basketball don't have the wherewithal to compete with that. The elite schools will get the more lucrative contracts from the shoe and apparel whores further tipping the scales. The result will be a super conference with the rest of collegiate basketball having a less than desirable product further eroding their fan base and eventually looking like DII basketball. Because of that, THOSE 5000 athletes will be on the losing end of reduced scholarships because nobody will be interested in watching an inferior product. Because basketball is one of only two sports that have a chance of creating positive cash flow at the collegiate level, less money will be available for the tens of thousands of other athletes in both men's and women's sports.

    Other than that, everything will be cool. All for a comparative handful of kids.
    Exactly. Thank you for spelling it out so clearly.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    So it should be easy to require the one and dones to be current in their studies if they want to play in March.
    One would think since the NCAA governs student-athletes (S/A) that should be the case BUT we know there isn't a "rule" about attending classes just that S/A must complete a certain amount of hours each year, which I believe is a minimum of 24 per year.

    I know that Coach Knight made sure his kids went to class and I don't know but would believe that Coach Few does the same...BUT those of you in Spokane would probably know if Adam, KO, Rui, etc. went to classes during the spring semester.

    I would think that there are ways to monitor class attendance but the issue is whether coaching staffs are remotely concerned.

    On the main topic...earning money as a S/A...could the NCAA put limitations on the amount of money a S/A earned by stating that all funds would have to be placed into an account and only a percentage could be taken out, while still enrolled in and playing for the school?

    Could the school also require the S/A to pay for their books, tuition and room & board?

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,027

    Default

    Markburn. That’s an exceptional post. Bogo, coach Few's phone is always on if he needs to be notified. . An advantage of a smaller
    school..
    Last edited by MDABE80; 10-14-2019 at 07:04 PM.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Opportunity, WA
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Because there will be a bidding war between a couple dozen schools for the cream of the cream even more so than there is now. A Duke booster will let the kid know he will pay a thousand dollars per autograph while the folks surrounding Georgia Tech basketball don't have the wherewithal to compete with that. The elite schools will get the more lucrative contracts from the shoe and apparel whores further tipping the scales. The result will be a super conference with the rest of collegiate basketball having a less than desirable product further eroding their fan base and eventually looking like DII basketball. Because of that, THOSE 5000 athletes will be on the losing end of reduced scholarships because nobody will be interested in watching an inferior product. Because basketball is one of only two sports that have a chance of creating positive cash flow at the collegiate level, less money will be available for the tens of thousands of other athletes in both men's and women's sports.

    Other than that, everything will be cool. All for a comparative handful of kids.
    Thanks for you take, but I still don't see it being all that DIFFERENT. I don't see clearly how Duke IMPROVES its recruiting when it just had three of the top five freshman taken in the draft, the same three who were in the top five of recruiting rankings.

    Has Georgia Tech won any recruiting battles with Duke recently?

    Will the quality of the typical Patriot League recruit change?

    Your theory about the super league breaking off from the NCAA is interesting and would damage the NCAA's cash cow.

    By suggesting this would become more likely when the top programs emerged from the bidding wars, you imply the top programs don't already know who they are. They do. And there's nothing stopping them from exiting the NCAA and forming this super league now. If anything, a more restrictive NCAA makes this option more appealing. Sinto229 made this point in a parallel thread, but the best explanation why this hasn't happened already is that the top institutions prefer the NCAA, especially in the sense that it is a superior money-generating arrangement. There's already a de facto Power-Five or Power-Six. The pecking order is established.

    If Mark Few is to be believed, the NCAA is moving to allow athletes to benefit from their NIL. This is going to happen. And as long as the NCAA membership remains intact, the product remains intact. Its revenue will be disbursed out to the member institutions just like it is now. Non-revenue sports will have the same NCAA support they have now.
    Agent provocateur

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,426

    Default

    If it comes down to which schools boosters could offer more monetary situations (and no other criteria), would Gonzaga be in the mix for Chet Holmgren or Suggs?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If it comes down to which schools boosters could offer more monetary situations (and no other criteria), would Gonzaga be in the mix for Chet Holmgren or Suggs?
    If that is how the system works, then I would think we would have a slim chance for signing either recruit!

    However, if Tacos were the form of barter, then I'm sure both would attend GU - along with countless other 5* recruits waiting in the wings...

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Opportunity, WA
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If it comes down to which schools boosters could offer more monetary situations (and no other criteria), would Gonzaga be in the mix for Chet Holmgren or Suggs?
    Maybe not, but I wouldn't write off Gonzaga. I think it's possible Gonzaga has seen a quantum leap in the quality of recruits in part BECAUSE of its booster support. This from a recent Seth Davis article in the Athletic:
    The school paid off its 30-year mortgage on the McCarthey Athletics Center in just nine years, allowing Gonzaga to invest those funds in other areas of the university. The team began chartering flights to every road game, even as most schools in the Pac-12 were still flying commercial. A group of wealthy boosters made sure that Few had the use of private planes whenever he wanted for recruiting. The only thing about Gonzaga that still qualified as mid-major was its conference.
    ***
    When Few decided he needed a new practice facility a few years ago, he didn’t have to embark on a cumbersome capital campaign. He simply rang up a couple of wealthy boosters, and they ponied up the cash. “We have on our buildings the names of people who didn’t go to school here or their kids didn’t go to school here,” Roth says. “They got connected to us for a variety of reasons. Some of it is the area, especially during the summer, but a lot of it has been this basketball program.”
    https://theathletic.com/1264670/2019...-stayed-there/

    If Gonzaga has willing boosters that can be simply rung up to fund a practice facility, I think it's realistic that Gonzaga can remain in the mix for prized recruits. But who knows for sure. Honestly, if it was only about the bidding war I think you would see some destablization of the status quo that works against blue bloods. There are wealthy boosters at many Power Five programs that are not able to draw the recruits now but could perhaps pony up the money if that was all that mattered to the PSA.

    Booster support is already a factor that is mostly in Gonzaga's favor. And it will remain so, but in reality it's never going to be the only criterion. You still have Coach Few, you still have his assistants. You still have the proven track record of player development and optimization of draft position. You still have the family atmosphere. You still have the breadth of local community support. You still have the Gonzaga brand and its consistent national television exposure. All the value that Gonzaga offers to PSAs now would still be there as a part of the decision-making process.
    Agent provocateur

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,387

    Default

    So, how about that Chet Holmgren kid?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •