Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scrimmage

Default Scrimmage

Pretty clear 1st team vs 2nd team. Woolridge, Gildor, Kispert, Watson and Petrusev. Ayayi off the bench. Timme good for gray team but big disparity in level of play between teams.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Pretty clear 1st team vs 2nd team. Woolridge, Gildor, Kispert, Watson and Petrusev. Ayayi off the bench. Timme good for gray team but big disparity in level of play between teams.
    That's not how they normally do it, is it? Seems strange.

Big opportunity for Watty with Tils down.

Watson had his ups and downs.

Woolridge and Gildor are great defensively!

Admon GildEr…………...good addition.

Watson had his ups and downs.

Woolridge and Gildor are great defensively!

I'm curious how you feel Woolridge compares to Crandall.

Both quick defenders with fast hands, both slim and slight of frame, both coming from a smaller D1 school and league. Woolridge better finishing around the rim, Crandall the better shooter?

Adam Morrison felt at the end of the scrimmage from what he saw that the guard situation for this year's team is an overall positive one.

Well, that was fun.... Here are some impressions from the scrimmage.

Gilder looks impressive. Complete package. Really shot it well including from 3 and great defense. Second coming of Williams-Goss?

Woolridge also impressive defensively.

Ravet reminded me of Pangos years ago at Kraziness. Not as dominant but had a lot of confidence. Won the 3 point contest.

Kispert look like..... well..... Kispert. Didn't see any changes but still looked like a leader for the team.

Ayayi looked like a really good 3 point shooter. Handled the ball well but near the end of the scrimmage resorted back to forcing shots like we have seen before. Got to get that out of his system.

Petrusev will be a star for this team I think. Inside and out just looks polished. He can handle the ball, run the floor, shoot inside and hit 3's easily.

Timme, love his game. Bulldog, pun intended, underneath. He started in place of Tillie and I think that will continue until Killian is back.

Zakharov looks like Petrusev's twin as far as size and build. Had a case of the fumbles but looks skilled. Not as polished as Filip was at the beginning of last year.

Watson is very skilled but not as aggressive as Timme. I bet he will grow into a major roll on the team as the year goes on.

Arlauskas, didn't get a good read on Martynas. Nothing stood out to me.

Ballo is huge and long and did I say HUGE?! When he was under the basket players were hesitant to challenge him. Great potential. I guess he will work his way into a defense, rebounding roll on this team.

I hope this helps everyone to have a little more info.

Thanks Larryzag! Just what this board has been missing all summer: firsthand accounts of watching Zags scrimmage.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Admittedly, I was a little distracted by visiting with my mom and wife (who are also huge Zags fans obviously) .......but I was pretty happy with what I saw. Timme will contribute, Ayayi looked good and hit at least three 3s that I remember, Pavel has noticeably larger legs than anyone else on the team (like what you would expect to see on Karnowski) so I think that he's physically ready. Arlauskas. ....I don't think that he NEEDS to redshirt, but wouldn't be surprised if he takes til Christmas to really get the feel.
    Like has been said, expect some ups and downs early in the year, but can easily see the athleticism and depth of this team enable them to go deep into March, and if it really really comes together, April.

Unable to attend so just questions...

Did Ballo play at all?
    Did Timme play above the rim? Was he aggressive on offense in the scoring sense?
    The suggestion that Gilder could be another NWG is particularly intriguing. You really think so? What do the rest of you say?
    Did the storied ball handling by Ravet show up?
    Who exactly was on each team?
    LarryZag we really appreciate the thread. Like GFlex said, "missing all summer", this is the beginning of an exciting year once again.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Unable to attend so just questions...

Did Ballo play at all?
    Did Timme play above the rim? Was he aggressive on offense in the scoring sense?
    The suggestion that Gilder could be another NWG is particularly intriguing. You really think so? What do the rest of you say?
    Did the storied ball handling by Ravet show up?
    Who exactly was on each team?
    LarryZag we really appreciate the thread. Like GFlex said, "missing all summer", this is the beginning of an exciting year once again.
    Yes Ballo was rotated in and looked like he belonged. Again, he is a physical presence under the basket that will alter shots or cause guys to pass the ball back out.

Timme has the attitude that he is going to score and you can try to stop me. A couple time it looked like he tried moves that worked in high school but damn! that didn't work here. He also brought the ball up the floor a couple times after rebounds.

Gilder is impressive.

Ravet brought the ball up the floor a lot and I don't remember him turning the ball over. Maybe? He just had the confidence like I when I first saw Pangos at Kraziness .

Adam Morrison had positive things to say after the scrimmage about Ravet about the way he ran the team with the only negative being shot selection on the 3's Brock chose to take.

Ravet brought the ball up the floor a lot and I don't remember him turning the ball over. Maybe? He just had the confidence like I when I first saw Pangos at Kraziness .
    We watched a different scrimmage. I was very disappointed in Ravet. Turned the ball over multiple times and could barely make a pass without Woolridge tipping it. If games started today I’d be surprised if he got playing time.

If games started today, based on this scrimmage I would say it’s as follows:

Woolridge
    Gildor
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Petrusev

Watson
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet
    Ballo

We watched a different scrimmage. I was very disappointed in Ravet. Turned the ball over multiple times and could barely make a pass without Woolridge tipping it. If games started today I’d be surprised if he got playing time.

Woolridge
    Gildor
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Petrusev

Watson
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet
    Ballo
    Ballo may not be eligible this year and Tillie could miss the first few games. Otherwise I agree.

Woolridge
    Gildor
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Petrusev

Watson
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet
    Ballo
    That's why I put a maybe? when I referred to Ravet and turnovers. There was so much to watch I missed his turnovers. The good news is Gilder, Woolridge and Ayayi should be playing great defense this year. However I think he will get playing time right away based on his positives (shooting and ball handling) outweighing the negatives.

Spokesman-Review story of Kraziness: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...iness-in-the-/

ilip Petrusev is introduced to the cheering crowd Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019 at Kraziness in the Kennel at Gonzaga University. The annual fan festival for the Gonzaga Bulldogs was standing room only. (Jesse Tinsley / The Spokesman-Review)

John Blanchette's Kraziness column: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-tillie-to-be/

At least the TV journalist pronounced Ballo's name correctly 'bye you'
    unlike the narrator on the mike during the scrimmage who pronounced it 'ball oh'
    I thought this team was oozing with potential, by Feb I believe we will be ranked in top 5

Here's the piece in The Athletic about Kraziness: https://theathletic.com/1270028/2019...d-for-gonzaga/

I liked this, at the end of the story:
    With this team, Few can’t just roll the ball out and legislate minor adjustments on the fly. He must first discover its identity. Its values. Its strengths and weaknesses.

“We’ve had to really slow down and then we’ve actually had to keep peeling back, keep reviewing and keep reminding. Probably just a lot more teaching the basics of what we’re all about here,” Few said. “It’s fun because it makes you look introspectively at why you do things and then you’re like, ‘That’s why we originally did that back in the day and have always done it, ’cause it works.’ When you’re teaching that, it’s a good reminder of why you do it.”

Thanks to ZN and everyone else who shared these articles. I’m getting excited for this season.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

A bit more....

SPOKANE, Wash. — For three years, Josh Perkins occupied the cubby directly left of the showers in Gonzaga’s locker room. And for the past four seasons, he held down a starting spot in the Bulldogs’ backcourt.

So, on Saturday, when the Zags took the court for their annual intrasquad scrimmage during Kraziness in the Kennel without the tenured guard running the show, things were different. When redshirt senior Admon Gilder conducted post-game interviews from Perkins’ former place of solace, it only reinforced that notion. A locker once defined by his funky wardrobe, a revolving door of hairstyles and go-to phrase — “big time” — was replaced by a fresh face, one who’s been on campus for fewer than three months.

An aura of change and transition hovers over this year’s team. But rebuilding is not part of the program’s vernacular. There is merely reloading in an effort to finally conquer the summit of a national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Here's the piece in The Athletic about Kraziness: https://theathletic.com/1270028/2019...d-for-gonzaga/

I liked this, at the end of the story:

Few and Co. are masters at bringing teams together and achieving great success. He has his hands full this year. I am really interested to hear how the secret scrimmage goes. My heart skipped when Killian was not announced with the team. We really need him to help this new team succeed in Nov - Dec. Really like what Gilder and Woolridge bring defensively at the guard position. Petrusev looks stronger. Timme looks hungry to play. CK is the type of leader with the personality to help everyone gel. I hope Watson elevates and gets significant minutes this year. Lots of promise......for a chance at other run in the tournament.
    Oh..and Gary Bell Jr. on the bench...what a great pick for GU.

Go Zags!

Woolridge
    Gildor
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Petrusev

Watson
    Timme
    Ayayi
    Ravet
    Ballo
    It's nice to read that Adam Morrison and Mark Few thought Ravet did well. That's the good news.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!