Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Withers: GU Still Working Out Ballo Eligibility

Default Withers: GU Still Working Out Ballo Eligibility

https://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/3...er-on-freshman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting news... I just assumed he was cleared already!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I wonder if he is practicing.

Unh!
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    I wonder if he is practicing.
    He’s practicing. Playing this year, however, is not imminent.

Wonder if the issue is the legitimacy of his HS school credits or something along those lines as I cannot believe it has anything to do with “playing for pay”

Glad Mike Roth is confident this a question of when Ballo will be eligible not if. Issue is his academics apparently, but how can he have been admitted to the university and be taking classes if he is not academically eligible to do so?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Glad Mike Roth is confident this a question of when Ballo will be eligible not if. Issue is his academics apparently, but how can he have been admitted to the university and be taking classes if he is not academically eligible to do so?
    It's an NCAA eligibility issue, not a GU academic issue. The NCAA has to check and clear every player and I imagine it might take a little longer with Ballo because it involves foreign schools.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    It's an NCAA eligibility issue, not a GU academic issue. The NCAA has to check and clear every player and I imagine it might take a little longer with Ballo because it involves foreign schools.
    Is there any transparency in the process? How difficult could it be? If the NCAA takes their time...
    Parlez-vous français?

Having worked with the NCAA on eligibility, I can tell you there is no transparency, and they can be maddening to deal with, nit-picking the most minor things.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Dante, also from Mali, apparently has similar issues at Oregon.

Given Ballo's path it is understandable. They need to confirm accreditation confirmations from two remote country's in Mali and Brazil. It's bad enough to deal with one country much less two who likely are pretty slow gathering information requested and responding much less understanding what has been requested of them. Just guessing on this by the way. I do know Mali isn't necessarily a user friendly place toward the west.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Given Ballo's path it is understandable. They need to confirm accreditation confirmations from two remote country's in Mali and Brazil. It's bad enough to deal with one country much less two who likely are pretty slow gathering information requested and responding much less understanding what has been requested of them. Just guessing on this by the way. I do know Mali isn't necessarily a user friendly place toward the west.
    I think it was Spain and Mexico, not Mali and Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I think it was Spain and Mexico, not Mali and Brazil.
    This is correct. The academy in Spain is specifically structured around getting players to NCAA or pros and the NBA Academy in Mexico has a huge interest in transparency and making this go smoothly. I have a feeing it isn’t the high schools that are holding this back but Ballo was so young and reclassified which makes it much harder for him to meet eligibility requirements and probably raised some red flags with the NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, my bad. I had read about a different player and got my wires crossed. The path is certainly interesting no doubt. Not sure how much Mali plays into anything but reading Wiki about that country it is complicated to say the least.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

The NCAA needs to stay out of this. If Ballo meets GU admissions standards, that's all that matters. The athletics program has been #1 or #2 in the nation in the APR the past 3 years. They are not going to admit a kid who they think cannot academically compete. Even if he doesn't see tons of PT, it would be useful to have him at GU. Even if he redshirts.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The NCAA needs to stay out of this. If Ballo meets GU admissions standards, that's all that matters. The athletics program has been #1 or #2 in the nation in the APR the past 3 years. They are not going to admit a kid who they think cannot academically compete. Even if he doesn't see tons of PT, it would be useful to have him at GU. Even if he redshirts.
    Hah. The NCAA will never stay out of this sort of thing. They can't help it. I spent months going round and round with them about one of my students because his paperwork was slightly irregular.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Every D1 and D2 athlete goes through the clearing house, like 180,000 freshmen a year.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Dante, also from Mali, apparently has similar issues at Oregon.
    It has been now announced that Dante is not eligible and he will try again in December. Now I'm scared.
    Last edited by Irish_eliZAG; 10-16-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    It has been now announced that Dante is intelligible and he will try again in December. Now I'm scared.
    Some may recall something similar happening to "board legend" "The Croatian" .... Zag Mario Kasun .... who spent a year in class at GU (but not part of the basketball team) then had some significant hiccups getting eligible. If I recall correctly, the NCAA decided he'd sit for 8 games, but before announcing that Mario had decided to leave Gonzaga and enter the NBA draft (where he was the 41st pick).

The end result was Mario's "open" scholarship went to some last minute foreign big named Ronny Turiaf.

I'm very hopeful that Ballo doesn't have to go through what Mario did (and what Dante IS going through).

Time will tell.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

It has been now announced that Dante is intelligible...
    I’m glad to hear that he communicates well, but what about his eligibility?

(Couldn’t resist... I assume that the autocorrect bug bit you)

The priorities of the NCAA seem so broken at times.

Lets not over-speculate on this. Few has been on record that he doesn't see much of an issue here.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

It has been now announced that Dante is intelligible and he will try again in December. Now I'm scared.
    Dante attended a "prep school" in Kansas, typically attended by players who are eligbile for a so-called 'gap year', and often are taking classes that dont always count towards college eligibility or are even accredited.

Oumar attended the NBA Academy in Mexico City, which was created, owned, operated by the NBA, overseen by Adam Silver & Co. More than likely checking off all their boxes in terms of young athletes taking eligible courses toward a degree, or qualifying.

Seems it'd be the opposite, yet have a feeling Oumar was better situated in terms of qualifying than Dante, even though he was in Mexico City while Dante was in Wichita, KS.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Dante attended a "prep school" in Kansas, typically attended by players who are eligbile for a so-called 'gap year', and often are taking classes that dont always count towards college eligibility or are even accredited.

Oumar attended the NBA Academy in Mexico City, which was created, owned, operated by the NBA, overseen by Adam Silver & Co. More than likely checking off all their boxes in terms of young athletes taking eligible courses toward a degree, or qualifying.

Seems it'd be the opposite, yet have a feeling Oumar was better situated in terms of qualifying than Dante, even though he was in Mexico City while Dante was in Wichita, KS.
    Absolutely... my thoughts exactly.