Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga-Duke Home and Home Series?

Default Gonzaga-Duke Home and Home Series?

I might just be grasping at straws here, but I just watched this interview with Coach Few and he talks about the importance of home-and-home series where he brings up UNC, MSU and Duke. Any chatter out there about the Zags getting Duke to come to Spokane? In the context of the interview it's pretty obvious that he isn't talking about neutral site games and he clearly brings up Duke and Coach K as supporting true road games. Whole interview is worth watching but the part I am talking about starts around 3:39

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/sta...03673399496704

Gotta give it up for Roy Williams in this instance. No real upside for UNC. They are going to play half a dozen games or more in their league with as much cachet as the Zag game. Izzo stepped up when there was absolutely nothing favorable for his program. I hope K does the same, but it would be highly unusual to fly to Spokane when he could find marquee games a lot closer to home.

The upside is that they get a win over a team that many years will have an inflated ranking due to the mass win total. So at tournament selection sunday time it's a nice feather in their resume to say they beat Gonzaga who will be like a top 5-10 ranked team. Plus they like few. Plus if they lose so what they lost to Gonzaga, a top 5-10 team, at home. Seems like a good game no matter how you look at it. But I agree they don't need a zag game as much as we need a UNC or MSU game.

Coach K doesn't play true away games outside of conference play.

Why in the world would anyone want to go to duke to play a basketball game ? They wouldn't play anyone with a chance to beat them anyway. The only way they would do that is in a pre season tournament. That said the would pick a tourney that they were sure they could win. If they knew the Zags were going to be that good last year, they would have went to a different tourney.

A series with Duke would be epic....but the fact is Duke doesn't need Gonzaga....and Gonzaga doesn't need Duke...

Saint John’s has done it for years. MSG and Cameron. And done pretty well all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Saint John’s has done it for years. MSG and Cameron. And done pretty well all things considered.
    Yeah, but that's a home game for Duke in either venue.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Yeah, but that's a home game for Duke in either venue.
    You’re absolutely right. All those blue suited, Wall Street Dookies in the high end seats. Been there, twice. Welcome back ‘cat.

I could totally see this happening if Duke is playing in a tournament on this side of the country or Maui and our return game when we play in a tournament back east. Why not have a marquee game that boosts your exposure in out of market areas? On a side note, I'd love to see this happen in the spokane arena or even to kick off the battle in Seattle again once the renovation is done.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You’re absolutely right. All those blue suited, Wall Street Dookies in the high end seats. Been there, twice. Welcome back ‘cat.
    I've been hiding in plain sight in some of the other forums on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Gotta give it up for Roy Williams in this instance. No real upside for UNC. They are going to play half a dozen games or more in their league with as much cachet as the Zag game. Izzo stepped up when there was absolutely nothing favorable for his program. I hope K does the same, but it would be highly unusual to fly to Spokane when he could find marquee games a lot closer to home.
    Izzo and Few honored Coach Jud Heathcote before the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    Izzo and Few honored Coach Jud Heathcote before the game.
    I was lucky enough to be there. It was a really special moment and night. It was very hard not to sense that it was a huge emotional night for both coaches and Jud, Kennel Club was cool to him, Izzo couldn't have been more gracious.

It doesn't even matter than much that we lost, Draymond Green was simply unconscious, he wasn't making easy shots.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Definitely a home and home in spokane. I would like to see it in the arena. It would be the only chance I would get to see it live.

The McCarthy is where it should be played though. A true H and H.

Screw Seattle Gonzaga doesn't need to play there to get the top teams anymore. North Carolina coming to Spokane is enough proof they have made it!!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Definitely a home and home in spokane. I would like to see it in the arena. It would be the only chance I would get to see it live.

The McCarthy is where it should be played though. A true H and H.

Screw Seattle Gonzaga doesn't need to play there to get the top teams anymore. North Carolina coming to Spokane is enough proof they have made it!!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Been to a few of the BIS games. When the Zags have a good opponent they are very fun games - and I think especially fun for any NW USA guys on the team(s) and the Seattle Zag fans. I live just N of Spokane and we make a trip over to Seattle to attend the BIS game with relatives in the Seattle area. We've had some great times at the BIS
    One of the things I like about the Zags is that they still have a Cinderella feel to me and are (or were) a team not so high on themselves as not to play in the Spokane Arena and the BIS. Local support by the community is pretty high for the Zags. Statewide support is also growing. A game in the Arena and the BIS sure can't hurt community support and IMHO would be great ways to show thanks to fans, inspire some youngsters, further build program character, etc. In these times of deepening political divisions it's great to see sports fans transcend that mess and have fun together no matter who they root for in the voting booth.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Been to a few of the BIS games. When the Zags have a good opponent they are very fun games - and I think especially fun for any NW USA guys on the team(s) and the Seattle Zag fans. I live just N of Spokane and we make a trip over to Seattle to attend the BIS game with relatives in the Seattle area. We've had some great times at the BIS
    One of the things I like about the Zags is that they still have a Cinderella feel to me and are (or were) a team not so high on themselves as not to play in the Spokane Arena and the BIS. Local support by the community is pretty high for the Zags. Statewide support is also growing. A game in the Arena and the BIS sure can't hurt community support and IMHO would be great ways to show thanks to fans, inspire some youngsters, further build program character, etc. In these times of deepening political divisions it's great to see sports fans transcend that mess and have fun together no matter who they root for in the voting booth.

Absolutely agree

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    Absolutely agree
    Seattle is big time, one of the most dynamic cities in the Country with a large Media Market....that in itself is …..a attraction for a National Program …...when (if) they have a suitable venue it would be a no brainer to for both teams to play there.... it is the Northwest's New York.....

Getting MSU to Spokane was a perfect storm ….not likely to happen again...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Seattle is big time, one of the most dynamic cities in the Country with a large Media Market....that in itself is …..a attraction for a National Program …...when (if) they have a suitable venue it would be a no brainer to for both teams to play there.... it is the Northwest's New York.....

Getting MSU to Spokane was a perfect storm ….not likely to happen again...
    “Start spreading the rain?.....? “The big coffee bean?......now apples, that’s a whole ‘nother story.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Zagger - if I could give a comment a thousand "likes" I would. Especially the final sentence.

I really started paying attention to college sports a few years ago when political and culture war stuff started getting super heated.
    One of the reasons I gravitate to Gonzaga, apart being a PNW resident who likes underdogs and cinderellas, was the mix of east-side and west-side students/fans/staff/feel to the team. They have an international or global vibe, but a distinctly small town and blue collar approach to the game.

Seattle will have a beautiful new basketball stadium next year. I could see a Seattle game returning to the schedule at some point. Some of those Battle in Seattle games were on the national CBS channel. Not CBS Sports, not ESPN or ESPN2, not FSN or Root or local CBS - NATIONAL CBS. Those games were awesome. I'd love to see Gonzaga get a big time truly national, truly hyped game in Seattle each year.

The question is who do the Zags play each year in Seattle? I reckon that Big East or ACC teams will want a return neutral or home game if they come over to the West Coast for the BIS. I think the goal of the BIS has always been to have a one off game in Seattle. Perhaps we just play Oregon every year in Seattle, right after classes are out for Christmas break. Sign a four year deal then reassess after that. The problem with that is that Oregon/Gonzaga doesn't have the national appeal as Gonzaga/Florida or Gonzaga/Syracuse.

Regarding Seattle as a home site, to quote Dana
    Last edited by tummydoc; 10-06-2019 at 01:30 AM.

A couple teams that I'd like to see for potential future Battle in Seattle's are Georgetown & Memphis. I think with newer coaches in Patrick Ewing & Penny Hardaway both schools (especially Memphis) will be on the upswing & return trips to them could be fun as they both play in NBA arenas which will now be the home courts of Rui Hachimura & Brandon Clarke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Regarding Seattle as a home site, to quote Dana
    Roth is literally on record as saying Gonzaga has every intention of bringing back the Battle in Seattle when Key reopens and when they do they plan on it being a marquee matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Roth is literally on record as saying Gonzaga has every intention of bringing back the Battle in Seattle when Key reopens and when they do they plan on it being a marquee matchup.
    Duke, Kentucky, and I suppose Kansas (future TBD) are the only huge "gets" left in terms of names.

In any given year, lots of good teams to come out.

I wouldn't be offended if they chose to bring Duke to Seattle. It's in the long term interests of the program to keep a vibrant west-side presence, especially now that the Huskies are rising.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Cal is not going to come to Spokane.....the lights are not bright enough.....