Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga-Duke Home and Home Series?

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Perhaps we just play Oregon every year in Seattle,
    Reminds me of when UW suggested they play the Zags every year in Key Arena and Few suggested he'd sooner impregnate Bigfoot. Seattle might be equidistant from the two schools, but Seattle would be a quasi-home game for the Zags, esp with Duck-hating Husky fans added to the significant Zag fan base in Seattle.

This will probably never happen, but if it did, it would have to alternate between Seattle and Portland. Alternating games btw Key and Moda would be awesome, and a huge draw in both cities as well as national tv.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    This will probably never happen, but if it did, it would have to alternate between Seattle and Portland. Alternating games btw Key and Moda would be awesome, and a huge draw in both cities as well as national tv.
    That would be awesome. It'd be cool even to have a four year series with home/homes plus Portland/Seattle games. IDK why we don't play Oregon. Few is from Oregon, both Nike schools, top Western programs, seems like a natural rivalry.

I attended every BIS over the 13 years it was happening. Great games against high-level opponents including a memorable thrashing of Arizona, a heartbreaking loss to UConn and of course the Morrison bank shot against Mizzou. Unfortunately with the conference expanding with BYU and a string of mediocre opponents (Davidson, Cal poly, S Alabama), it felt like the event had run its course.

The OP asked about Dook vs GU home and home but I don't see how that happens. We are going to have to take our shots at them in tournaments.

Why we can't get something going with Oregon has always been a puzzle to me as well. We have played them 9 times, never beaten them and the last game was in 1999. FWIW we are 0-12 vs the Beavers too.

source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...d-to-head.html

I would give away my life savings if a Duke/GU home and home series occurs while Coach K is at Duke. Why? If it weren't for the Big/ACC Challenge - which Coach K hates with a passion - he has said publicly many times he will never play a true road game ever again outside of league play. The expanded ACC sked ensures this even more. Every other year he places at MSG vs. St. John's because the place is more than half filled with Duke alumni, and MSG is off campus. That's it. If you wanna play Duke, it's at Cameron Indoor with no return game, or a one time neutral court game.

When it comes to UNC, it is normal for them to play road games at local area mid major schools and to do 2 for 1 games to allow one of his upperclassmen to play a "home game," but believe me, the UNC/GU series is unique. He's not doing it because he has a Spokane guy on the roster or whatever. He's doing it out of respect for the program and Coach Few. He was the first big name coach to reach out to Mark and Marcy Few at Nike events. And once Gonzaga turned into a high major program, Roy told Mark that if he EVER contemplated another job to call him first. I think Roy knows what a special job the Gonzaga job is. I mean, there aren't many places where you can go to 5 straight sweet 16's or better (and a national title game) with this little media scrutiny.

Doubt that Few ever plays Oregon outside of a tourney. It has to do with it being his alma mater. Just doesn't want to do it. Just like he hates playing teams like Boise State and Maryland who have close buddies as the head coach.

If I were GU, I would shoot for a Kentucky/Gonzaga game in Seattle, with the other game taking place in Lexington the following year. Rupp Arena is an off campus arena. It's why I never had issues (unlike some GU fans) with Calipari refusing to play at the Kennel. The Memphis Tiger arena is an off campus arena. Same with Kansas, with the return game in KC. I have been told from someone close to KU that Self would likely not agree to a Kennel/Phog Allen Fieldhouse deal.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    If I were GU, I would shoot for a Kentucky/Gonzaga game in Seattle, with the other game taking place in Lexington the following year. Rupp Arena is an off campus arena. It's why I never had issues (unlike some GU fans) with Calipari refusing to play at the Kennel. The Memphis Tiger arena is an off campus arena. Same with Kansas, with the return game in KC. I have been told from someone close to KU that Self would likely not agree to a Kennel/Phog Allen Fieldhouse deal.
    If it didn't have to happen over Christmas break, a Mark Few vs Bill Self birthday matchup would need to happen at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    I attended every BIS over the 13 years it was happening. Great games against high-level opponents including a memorable thrashing of Arizona, a heartbreaking loss to UConn and of course the Morrison bank shot against Mizzou. Unfortunately with the conference expanding with BYU and a string of mediocre opponents (Davidson, Cal poly, S Alabama), it felt like the event had run its course.

The OP asked about Dook vs GU home and home but I don't see how that happens. We are going to have to take our shots at them in tournaments.

Why we can't get something going with Oregon has always been a puzzle to me as well. We have played them 9 times, never beaten them and the last game was in 1999. FWIW we are 0-12 vs the Beavers too.

source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...d-to-head.html
    The bank shot was against Oklahoma St. Missouri I think was the first ever BIS. That was a good game too.

If it ever comes to fruition, I would hope that the Spokane game is at the Spokane Arena. There would be too many fans wanting to see this game to have it at the Kennel. And coach Rat-Face would be happy that he doesn't have to play a "true" roadie. Still a home game for the Zags, however you spin it.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    The bank shot was against Oklahoma St. Missouri I think was the first ever BIS. That was a good game too.
    Thanks for the reminder. When I typed that, a little voice in my head wondered if it was Mizzou or not. Both were Top 5 when we beat them

The Spokane Arena would be more ideal than playing in Seattle.

I didn't start paying attention to Duke's non-conference schedule until last year, but based on that sample size, Duke seems to schedule light, and make its bones during the conference schedule. All other factors aside, I don't see Duke scheduling a non-conference game with a Top 25 team outside the conference schedule or the mid-season tournament.

The idea of Koach remotely thinking about playing the Zags in Spokane.... quite laughable. Only "road" games for them... tourneys, MSG, and whatever they are forced into by multi-conference matchups.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Not to derail the conversation... but... I took my future wife to the first ever BIS game. I remember #3 ranked Missouri led by a lot with not much time to go. Turiaf put us on his back, playing with 4 fouls sending it to OT. It was her first ever GU basketball game. The drama, the excitement got her hooked. I don't think we've missed a game since.

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    The Spokane Arena would be more ideal than playing in Seattle.
    Most certainly, but the ideal almost never occurs with Coach Cal.

Bulletin.....In 2000, Dook deigned to play in Portland to commemorate signing Dunleavy

Duke Routs Portland; Stanford Is Tomorrow
    By The Associated Press
    Dec. 20, 2000

Carlos Boozer made all 11 of his shots for 22 points, and Mike Dunleavy Jr. added 18 in his homecoming as No. 1 Duke routed host Portland, 97-64, last night.

The Blue Devils (10-0) looked rusty early but were unstoppable in the second half of their tuneup for tomorrow night's game at No. 3 Stanford.

Jason Williams had 17 points for Duke despite taking an elbow above his left eye that left him bleeding on the floor.

Tim Frost had 11 points to lead Portland (5-4). The Pilots were playing a top-ranked team for the first time since 1968, when they

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Bulletin.....In 2000, Dook deigned to play in Portland to commemorate signing Dunleavy

By The Associated Press
    Dec. 20, 2000

Carlos Boozer made all 11 of his shots for 22 points, and Mike Dunleavy Jr. added 18 in his homecoming as No. 1 Duke routed host Portland, 97-64, last night.

The Blue Devils (10-0) looked rusty early but were unstoppable in the second half of their tuneup for tomorrow night's game at No. 3 Stanford.

Jason Williams had 17 points for Duke despite taking an elbow above his left eye that left him bleeding on the floor.

Tim Frost had 11 points to lead Portland (5-4). The Pilots were playing a top-ranked team for the first time since 1968, when they
    Three distinctions here...
    1) The reason for being out west was Stanford game, and Pac-10 game meant more to RPI than a WCC game.
    2) Portland was almost a guaranteed W
    3) Dunleavy was likely promised the game during recruitment so he could play in front of his family.

Also, ask yourself honestly, do you think Duke would do the same thing today?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Don't be surprised if this actually happens (albeit with the return game at a neutral site in Louisville ... not Lexington).

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

No. Now that Koach has embraced the one and done philosophy it’s hardly necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    1) The reason for being out west was Stanford game, and Pac-10 game meant more to RPI than a WCC game.
    3) Dunleavy was likely promised the game during recruitment so he could play in front of his family.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post

I was going to say, the other distinction is that it was 20 years ago, and clearly done for Dunleavy. Nice gesture to his senior, though.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a Kentucky/Gonzaga home and home. I would be stunned to see a Duke/Gonzaga home and home but if it did occur there are Gonzaga season ticket holders who would be holding a lottery ticket in their hands because those tickets would go for easily a $1000 a piece in the worst seats in McCarthy.

One gets the feeling that there is a small subset of about 8 teams that might be "elite enough" to consider "home and homes" as almost a novelty, "We can do these among each other, but not with you …"

I say that bc there appears to be a pack of 8ish teams - and over the last 5 years we've busted into that pack - where it is a national event to play the game itself, a rare "true roadie" (again, a novelty), big money TV prime time spot, and yet little downside bc the coaches know that the team will be a Q1 win or loss. So, little downside.

I could see Duke considering it, and Calipari loves Spokane, he'd do it.

But, I wouldn't hold it against GU for doing either Duke or Kentucky in Seattle, either. GU should want to be "Washington's team" in many ways, and west side is critical, and we have so many west side alum.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post

By The Associated Press
    Dec. 20, 2000

Not a true road game, but Duke also played Oregon in Portland in 2010 fulfilling a promise to Kyle Singler that he would play one game close to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Not a true road game, but Duke also played Oregon in Portland in 2010 fulfilling a promise to Kyle Singler that he would play one game close to home.
    Based on Koach's history... he'd have to steal someone from Spokane to get a home game for the Zags.