Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga Media Day

Default Gonzaga Media Day

Some quotes via @SKarrG0 https://twitter.com/SKarrG0/status/1179817607513329669

Corey Kispert: "Oumar Ballo is a mountain of a man."

Kispert: "This year is my year to take charge and be a more reliable, consistent piece of our team."

Mark Few: "Filip is primed for a big year."

Few when asked about PG position: Woolridge does some great stuff, Ravet will play minutes right away, Gilder and Ayayi will also get reps at the point

Few "This is a team that will really get better - a real trajectory as the younger guys gets more and more minutes."

From the Spokesman-Review: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...killian-tilli/
    Gonzaga in familiar role as favorite, Killian Tillie lone Zag named to preseason All-WCC team

The question wasn’t if Gonzaga would be the favorite in the WCC preseason poll. The question was how close the voting tally would be with rival Saint Mary’s poised to challenge for the top spot. The answer: Gonzaga received seven of 10 first-place votes (coaches cannot pick their own team) while the Gaels earned three. GU earned 79 points to Saint Mary’s 75.
    Senior forward Killian Tillie was the lone Zag to make the preseason All-WCC team. Saint Mary’s (Jordan Ford, Malik Fitts), BYU (Yoeli Childs, TJ Haws) and Pepperdine (Colbey Ross, Kessler Edwards) had two representatives. Santa Clara’s Tahj Eaddy, San Francisco’s Charles Minlend and Pacific’s Jahlil Tripp also made the 10-player team.

" Ravet will play minutes right away"

Well holy S. Im now excited to finally see him play D1! fingers crossed he proves to be a revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post

Well holy S. Im now excited to finally see him play D1! fingers crossed he proves to be a revelation.

IIRC someone on the staff said he would have gotten minutes if he'd been a fr last year.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post

I'm so excited that I'm about to wet myself. I knew he was my favorite Zag for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    IIRC someone on the staff said he would have gotten minutes if he'd been a fr last year.
    Actually, the statement was he'd have gotten "significant" minutes had he been on the team last year.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I cannot recall being this excited for a year, precisely bc I know there will be challenges, and so many unknowns. Anything could happen, but our track record is great.

If Few keeps the Sweet-16 or better streak through this year, it will be his best coaching job yet, IMO
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

With so many freshmen and 2 new transfers who did not redshirt a year, I think the difference between the first few games and the last few in terms of team coordination and general level of play could be huge.

Last year´s team (arguably) peaked early. The only starting piece to integrate was BC who had practiced with the team for a year.

When is the last time Gonzaga had a team with this much potential for improvement within the season?

Can someone PLEASE post a link DIRECTLY to the Few/Kispert interview???!!!!@#$%^&*(
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I only find this and no videos .....
    https://wccsports.com/sports/2019/9/10/tipoff-2019.aspx
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Here is the video of the interview on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WCCsports/v...8996497461606/

Gonzaga portion is close to the front of the video. Good stuff!

And for those who do not use facebook: https://watchstadium.com/live/wcc-me...tball-tip-off/ go to 9:10.

The quote about the PG position was the most revealing to me. Good news that they expect Ravet to get minutes right away. Also, seems like Woolridge is the favorite to start there IMO. Mentioning that Gilder and Ayayi will get reps there makes it sound like neither are serious candidates to start. I had seen some speculation that Gilder/Ayayi could be our starting backcourt (still possible but less likely based on this quote).

Quote Originally Posted by RockandRollJames View Post
    The quote about the PG position was the most revealing to me. Good news that they expect Ravet to get minutes right away. Also, seems like Woolridge is the favorite to start there IMO. Mentioning that Gilder and Ayayi will get reps there makes it sound like neither are serious candidates to start. I had seen some speculation that Gilder/Ayayi could be our starting backcourt (still possible but less likely based on this quote).
    gilder will start.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    gilder will start.
    At the 2. I think he was saying neither are serious candidates to start at point..

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    At the 2. I think he was saying neither are serious candidates to start at point..
    Yes that's what I meant, sorry for the confusion. Zero doubt Gilder starts somewhere, sounds to me like it will be at the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by RockandRollJames View Post
    Yes that's what I meant, sorry for the confusion. Zero doubt Gilder starts somewhere, sounds to me like it will be at the 2.
    Yes. But I flat out love that he will also get some run at p g.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by slickguser View Post
    And for those who do not use facebook: https://watchstadium.com/live/wcc-me...tball-tip-off/ go to 9:10.
    Slick, THANKS for posting this site...I think it's great being able to listen to some of the off camera discussion...it appeared that maybe Romar wasn't sure of the process but he handled it quite well...IMO I think they will be the surprise of the league if the elder Edwards (whom I have always thought he had star qualities) can stay healthy...think they might have one of the top three back courts in the conference...

With regards to GU...it will be nice to have three deep at the 4 and 5 positions...let's hope Brock is ready so that we have four back court players too...
    Last edited by Bogozags; 10-04-2019 at 10:35 AM.

I have a better idea for Media Day -- release the freaking Gonzaga TV schedule! I plan my entire day around a Zag game and it would help to know when they are playing. I blame CBSSN for this mess.

I wouldn't like the idea of 4 different players getting minutes at PG if Few didn’t already run a de facto two PG system. I’m interested to see if Ayayi and Ravet are used more at the 2 spot. My guess is that Ravet will be groomed for the 1 spot and Ayayi the 2, but I know next to zero. Ayayi strikes me as playmaking combo guard a la Dranginis, and Ravet might be a HS PG that gets used more for his shooting at this level (but I think he will be a good backup PG for now and have a chance for good minutes as a Junior).

Thanks for the links.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/sta...399496704?s=09
    Andy Katz took a Few minutes to interview Mark Few separately yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBunnieRancher View Post
    https://twitter.com/marchmadness/sta...399496704?s=09
    Andy Katz took a Few minutes to interview Mark Few separately yesterday.
    He seems to suggest that Ravet is the plan at backup point guard, with a little Gilder sprinkled in.

It was interesting to hear him say that he is going to use his ball-handling forwards more than usual and it won't be as PG-focused as in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    He seems to suggest that Ravet is the plan at backup point guard, with a little Gilder sprinkled in.

It was interesting to hear him say that he is going to use his ball-handling forwards more than usual and it won't be as PG-focused as in years past.
    Know your personnel. Few will put the best 5 on the floor, within reason, to maximize results. Will be an interesting year. Can’t wait for zag basketball to start up again - every season unique.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post

the pg options aren't near the caliber they have been in the recent past...for those who were never satisfied with perkins at point, you're gonna wish he was still around.